1440p 60 hz or 1080p 144 hz

Jonadong

I want a monitor to go with my new gtx 1070. Should I get a 1440p 60hz monitor or a 1080p 144hz monitor?

Which game do you play? 

can't wrong with either one. 

what games are you planning on playing? the 1080p 144hz will work a bit better for competitive MP titles. the 1440p monitor for single player or casual multiplayer. 

i pair my 1070 with a 1440p monitor, and so far i have no problems running the latest games at 60fps 

Anything fast pace - 144hz. Stuff thats graphical and slow pace, not a whole lot of quick reactions get the 1440p 

with a 1070 you should be able to push a lot of games at 1440p at more than 60HZ,  why not go for both?  

I have a 970 and a Asus ROG swift pg249q that a 1440p 165hz Gsync.  I am happy with the set up at this point but I have room to grow with the monitor.  

Just now, djmoney said:

Asus ROG swift pg249q

I know that not everyone have $700+ to spend on a monitor.  for the same reason I always put the largest stick of ram a motherboard can handle. I don't want to have to replace/sell it if I want to upgrade.  

1440p 60hz

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

This was my dilemma for weeks, if not months. I end up getting a 1440p 144Hz tho but after playing around with it I'd say you should definitely get a 144Hz. 1440p is great but honestly? It's not that great. Let's say it's something you would say "wow", and give 11/10. But 144Hz will make you scream like a kid getting Charizard after years playing with Rattatas. It's day and night. And I was asking this question a lot before, on linustechtips, reddit, tomshardware, youtube... people were saying left and right, some say 1440p, some say 144hz... I couldn't decide and really don't know what to buy.

I personally now think it shouldn't be even a question: get 144Hz. Heck, I even wished I didn't buy this 27" and get a 24" with 1080p 144hz instead, so I can buy better stuff for the PC.

Oh and if you think "but this card is kinda overkill on 1080p", don't worry. you can use it longer, until games get so demanding that gtx 1070 can't max them on 1080p anymore. It would be years.

Edit: I play both competitive games like Dota 2, CSGO, OW and immersive games like Fallout 4, modded Skyrim. And I still think 144Hz >> 1440p in this situation. Get a 24" mate, I'd recommend LG stuff. It's good and not overpriced.

I'm using Asus  MG279Q btw, very very very good monitor.

1 hour ago, Kaian said:

This was my dilemma for weeks, if not months. I end up getting a 1440p 144Hz tho but after playing around with it I'd say you should definitely get a 144Hz. 1440p is great but honestly? It's not that great. Let's say it's something you would say "wow", and give 11/10. But 144Hz will make you scream like a kid getting Charizard after years playing with Rattatas. It's day and night. And I was asking this question a lot before, on linustechtips, reddit, tomshardware, youtube... people were saying left and right, some say 1440p, some say 144hz... I couldn't decide and really don't know what to buy.

I personally now think it shouldn't be even a question: get 144Hz. Heck, I even wished I didn't buy this 27" and get a 24" with 10880p 144hz instead, so I can buy better stuff for the PC.

Oh and if you think "but this card is kinda overkill on 1080p", don't worry. you can use it longer, until games get so demanding that gtx 1070 can't max them on 1080p anymore. It would be years.

Edit: I play both competitive games like Dota 2, CSGO, OW and immersive games like Fallout 4, modded Skyrim. And I still think 144Hz >> 1440p in this situation. Get a 24" mate, I'd recommend LG stuff. It's good and not overpriced.

I'm using Asus  MG279Q btw, very very very good monitor.

This.  The difference between 60hz and 120hz+ is night and day, particularly after you get used to playing on the higher refresh rate and then you go back and try to play at 60hz again.  It not only makes motion smoother, lowers motion blur, but it gives you more accurate visual information that for fast-paces games like an FPS or MOBA will lead to better registration and "feel".  If you can afford it I strongly recommend a 144hz 1440p with ULMB, but personally I would get 144hz and 1080p before 1440p and 60hz.