Bungie's Destiny is pretty much confirmed to NOT be coming to PC...at least not any time soon

TopWargamer

Piracy, is hard to control, they don't want to take their time and find a way to avoid it.

more likely microsoft is pushing game exlcusives for the xbox, this irks me since what helped build the damn game department in the first place ?

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

1) If they're trying to maximize profits then they should be releasing it for PC as well.

2) Also, if they don't want to spread their company too thin, then shouldn't they hire more people?

Sorry, but this just seems like a big run around from them and I don't like it.

(Separated each to make responding better).

1)That is true, but they can't because they're spread too thin working on 4 versions of their game. if they added on the PC version at this point, they would stretching their team too much to the point where it wouldn't be a good thing. Bungie never ruled out there ever being a PC versions, and they see the demand for it to be on the PC. They will get around eventually to making a PC port of it, just not at this time. Patience is a virtue. 

2) It's not just as easy as "hire more people." Sure Bungie has money, but they also have over 300 employees to pay every week (or 2 weeks if that's how it works there). So if they wanted to tack on the PC version at this point in time, they would have to hire a substantial amount of new employees to make it possible at this point of time, which would put the studio in a sticky situation financially. 

COMIC SANS

If they're trying to maximize profits then they should be releasing it for PC as well.

Also, if they don't want to spread their company too thin, then shouldn't they hire more people?

Sorry, but this just seems like a big run around from them and I don't like it.

I really love the "Just throw more people at it" argument. It is a complete denial of reality and lack of understanding of business.

more likely microsoft is pushing game exlcusives for the xbox, this irks me since what helped build the damn game department in the first place ?

This has nothing to do with Microsoft since Bungie is now independent. That's why Destiny is coming to PS3 and PS4, and it has some exclusive content for them.

well Bungie i'm still waiting for every halo game on pc

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

well Bungie i'm still waiting for every halo game on pc

That's not Bungie's job anymore. It's 343 Industries/Microsoft's job now. Bungie doesn't hold the rights to anything Halo anymore, 343i/Microsoft does. 

COMIC SANS

Bungie is my all time favorite studio, I might end up getting a PS4 in the future just for this game.

Sadly, there are too many who think like you. Millions of consumers willing to mindlessly bend over to every corporate whim is the reason it happens in the first place.

As for Destiny, I think it looks rather stale, looks like it's going to be "my first MMO" for console gamers, kind of like a kindergarten ABC. And the art and setting is so cliché it's headache-inducing.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Sadly, there are too many who think like you. Millions of consumers willing to mindlessly bend over to every corporate whim is the reason it happens in the first place.

As for Destiny, I think it looks rather stale, looks like it's going to be "my first MMO" for console gamers, kind of like a kindergarten ABC. And the art and setting is so cliché it's headache-inducing.

I wouldn't even consider Destiny an MMO...because well...it really is not. 

I currently have the game pre-ordered for the Xbox 360, so I have a ticket into the beta. I'm a huge Bungie fan as well, they're tied with Valve as my #1 favorite studio. So I mean, I'll give Destiny a shot, but games like it I've never really been fond of (ie Borderlands). So, we'll see. Again, I'm in the beta, so if I don't like that, I'll be cancelling my pre-order. 

If it comes out on the PC, I may try it out again, if I don't end up getting it for the Xbox 360. 

COMIC SANS

That's not Bungie's job anymore. It's 343 Industries/Microsoft's job now. Bungie doesn't hold the rights to anything Halo anymore, 343i/Microsoft does. 

yeah i knew Microsoft owned Bungie but like i said i wish we could get Halo back on PC and that will complete my life

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Well at least we know it will come eventually, I refuse to buy a console to play one game. I got away from them, I'm never going back.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

(Separated each to make responding better).

1)That is true, but they can't because they're spread too thin working on 4 versions of their game. if they added on the PC version at this point, they would stretching their team too much to the point where it wouldn't be a good thing. Bungie never ruled out there ever being a PC versions, and they see the demand for it to be on the PC. They will get around eventually to making a PC port of it, just not at this time. Patience is a virtue. 

2) It's not just as easy as "hire more people." Sure Bungie has money, but they also have over 300 employees to pay every week (or 2 weeks if that's how it works there). So if they wanted to tack on the PC version at this point in time, they would have to hire a substantial amount of new employees to make it possible at this point of time, which would put the studio in a sticky situation financially. 

1. Thank you for agreeing with me, but I can tell you right now, if I don't hear of a PC version in the works within 6 months of release, then I'm not interested.

2. See my response to Derangel below.

I really love the "Just throw more people at it" argument. It is a complete denial of reality and lack of understanding of business.

You see, I'm not asking for them to "just throw more people at it" or asking them to hire 1,000 employees just for the PC version for example. I'm asking them to increase their number of workers which would increase their total product(PC version) which in turn would increase their revenue and then profit. You see, "throwing" 1,000 people at the PC side will completely train wreck them, but adding 50 people to help things along with the PC side can increase their overall product and profit.

Just an example, recently the numbers of Xbox Live and Steam users have come out saying how many active users there are. We also have the numbers for PSN(although, almost definitely bloated). Also on a recent survey(albeit small) on Reddit, we have numbers of the percentage of users who are interested in Action, Adventure, and RPG type games(#18), which is Destiny. That percentage overall is 47%.

So if we take the numbers from each service;

Steam: 65 million

Xbox: 48 million(24 million pay for Xbox Live Gold)

PSN: 110 million

Now let's multiply each number by the 47%;

Steam: 30.55 million

Xbox: 22.56 million(11.28 million)

PSN: 51.7 million

This is the number of people that would potentially be interested in Destiny for those platforms(mind you we aren't even talking about next gen). Now let's multiply each by 25% which would be the first early adopters of the game;

Steam: 7.64 million

Xbox: 5.64 million(2.82 million)

PSN: 12.93 million

Now these are just going off of the numbers of total members of each service. PSN is obviously bloated, but I'll leave it in for simplicity and I'll count all Xbox members. So now let's add up PSN and Xbox;

Console: 18.57 million

Now multiply both by $59.99;

Steam: 7.64 x 59.99 = $458.32 million in total revenue

Console: 1,114.01 million in total revenue(or 1.1 billion)

Sure, consoles are more profitable, but really, you honestly do not believe they can hire a team to do a PC version with $458 million from early adopters alone? You have got to be joking if their return on investment isn't profitable.

What!? The reason for what happens in the first place? Also many who think like me? What? People who want to play the game and are willing to buy it? I don't get your hippie speak but whatever. "As for Destiny" it looks like a great game that some people might like and others might not... like every other game in the planet. Your opinion on it or how superior you think you are because you play "MMOs for grown ups" means next to nothing to me.

What!? The reason for what happens in the first place? Also many who think like me? What? People who want to play the game and are willing to buy it?

They hold a game you want to play ransom by forcing you to get a console to play it. You bow to their command and do it, instead of having a spine and giving them the middle finger for using your loyalty as a weapon against you.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1. Thank you for agreeing with me, but I can tell you right now, if I don't hear of a PC version in the works within 6 months of release, then I'm not interested.

2. See my response to Derangel below.

You see, I'm not asking for them to "just throw more people at it" or asking them to hire 1,000 employees just for the PC version for example. I'm asking them to increase their number of workers which would increase their total product(PC version) which in turn would increase their revenue and then profit. You see, "throwing" 1,000 people at the PC side will completely train wreck them, but adding 50 people to help things along with the PC side can increase their overall product and profit.

Just an example, recently the numbers of Xbox Live and Steam users have come out saying how many active users there are. We also have the numbers for PSN(although, almost definitely bloated). Also on a recent survey(albeit small) on Reddit, we have numbers of the percentage of users who are interested in Action, Adventure, and RPG type games(#18), which is Destiny. That percentage overall is 47%.

So if we take the numbers from each service;

Steam: 65 million

Xbox: 48 million(24 million pay for Xbox Live Gold)

PSN: 110 million

Now let's multiply each number by the 47%;

Steam: 30.55 million

Xbox: 22.56 million(11.28 million)

PSN: 51.7 million

This is the number of people that would potentially be interested in Destiny for those platforms(mind you we aren't even talking about next gen). Now let's multiply each by 25% which would be the first early adopters of the game;

Xbox: 5.64 million(2.82 million)

PSN: 12.93 million

Now these are just going off of the numbers of total members of each service. PSN is obviously bloated, but I'll leave it in for simplicity and I'll count all Xbox members. So now let's add up PSN and Xbox;

Console: 18.57 million

Now multiply both by $59.99;

Steam: 7.64 x 59.99 = $458.32 million in total revenue

Console: 1,114.01 million in total revenue(or 1.1 billion)

Sure, consoles are more profitable, but really, you honestly do not believe they can hire a team to do a PC version with $458 million from early adopters alone? You have got to be joking if their return on investment isn't profitable.

No, you are still asking them to "throw people at it". Doesn't matter if you mean 50 or 1000. The game is less then a year away from launch, they are still deep in development for platforms they have been working with for years now and you want them to add new people, train those people in on the game and the engine, then expect them to jump in and work on a version of the game that was clearly never planned to come out at release (if at all). I'm sure you also expect this all to happen without a hitch, not force them to delay the game, AND to make sure they do a proper excellent PC port, right? Have some bloody patience and wait for the PC version to come out later, man.

Edit: Additionally, games have a set budget. It's not like Activision handed them a blank check and said "Use however much money you need". No, they have a set budget and it's generally not a good idea to go over it and anger the people signing your paychecks. Adding a new platform to the mix less than year prior to launch is an extra unplanned for expense that takes money away from other areas and could push the game over budget and potentially over time. A new platform also adds more time and cost to support and QA since it is another platform you have to test and bug fix. They are already trying to launch on four systems simultaneously, now imagine adding the infinite hardware configurations of the PC to the mix.

They hold a game you want to play ransom by forcing you to get a console to play it. You bow to their command and do it, instead of having a spine and giving them the middle finger for using your loyalty as a weapon against you.

It's called a killer app. Every system has them. It is not a new concept.

Wonder what the experience will be like on the 360 and ps3. If you check the gameplay footage there's no way the old consoles are going to render anything close to that.

These up coming games seem to go towards console and are leaving the PC in the dust. But I must ask, why?

This is not a trend. PC is pretty strong right now.

No, you are still asking them to "throw people at it". Doesn't matter if you mean 50 or 1000. The game is less then a year away from launch, they are still deep in development for platforms they have been working with for years now and you want them to add new people, train those people in on the game and the engine, then expect them to jump in and work on a version of the game that was clearly never planned to come out at release (if at all). I'm sure you also expect this all to happen without a hitch, not force them to delay the game, AND to make sure they do a proper excellent PC port, right? Have some bloody patience and wait for the PC version to come out later, man.

Edit: Additionally, games have a set budget. It's not like Activision handed them a blank check and said "Use however much money you need". No, they have a set budget and it's generally not a good idea to go over it and anger the people signing your paychecks. Adding a new platform to the mix less than year prior to launch is an extra unplanned for expense that takes money away from other areas and could push the game over budget and potentially over time. A new platform also adds more time and cost to support and QA since it is another platform you have to test and bug fix. They are already trying to launch on four systems simultaneously, now imagine adding the infinite hardware configurations of the PC to the mix.

They wouldn't delay the game for an entire platform?

Weird, because Destiny was delayed the week before the PS4 was unveiled.

"...deep in development for platforms they have been working with for years now.." It's pretty apparent that Bungie hasn't been working on the PS4 and Xbone version for years now.

Also, with both consoles using x86 instruction sets and both consoles using their own API(DirectX and OpenGL), why exactly can't they port it to PC? The PS4 and Xbone version was clearly not planned to come out at release, but because they are new consoles they pushed their release date back just so they can push out a next gen version.

I gotta agree with That Norwegian Guy here, they are tailoring to the consoles on purpose and it's absolutely disgusting. 

It's called a killer app.

Maybe that's what they call them in America, but in places where consumers are not cattle, we call them "ransomware".

They wouldn't delay the game for an entire platform?

Weird, because Destiny was delayed the week before the PS4 was unveiled.

"...deep in development for platforms they have been working with for years now.." It's pretty apparent that Bungie hasn't been working on the PS4 and Xbone version for years now.

Also, with both consoles using x86 instruction sets and both consoles using their own API(DirectX and OpenGL), why exactly can't they port it to PC? The PS4 and Xbone version was clearly not planned to come out at release, but because they are new consoles they pushed their release date back just so they can push out a next gen version.

I gotta agree with That Norwegian Guy here, they are tailoring to the consoles on purpose and it's absolutely disgusting. 

If the delay was solely for consoles they would try to put it out on release instead of 6+ months after. Also, you seriously need to reread everything I wrote because you clearly misunderstood most of it. I never said they wouldn't delay it for a platform, I was asking you your expectations in asking for them to "simply hire more people". The entire point I was making by saying that is that it could cause a delay.

Again, you are completely misunderstanding my post. I never said they couldn't, I was however pointing out the challenges of doing so. It's not as simple as pushing a single button and recompiling the game from consoles to PC. By all accounts porting from next gen consoles to PC and vise-versa should be a lot easier than before but that doesn't mean it's instantaneous and requires no work.

Of course they are. Why is that a bad thing? Why should we attack Bungie for making the game they want on the platforms they want? Are you seriously so god damn selfish that you can't accept a developer wanting to focus their efforts on your non-favorite platform?

Maybe that's what they call them in America, but in places where consumers are not cattle, we call them "ransomware".

Yes because wanting to focus their efforts on consoles and not potentially make a bad game/bad port by spreading themselves further is such a terrible thing. How dare they give console gamers a potentially good experience first, don't they know PC gamers are the "master race". :rolleyes: You know what ransomware REALLY is? It's a program that takes over your computer and forces you pay before they let you have your system back. Get back to me when Bungie is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy a piece of entertainment.