windows did something extremely weird

DraconicFire98

so, i was due for a windows reinstall, it was getting slwo and i had too much installed. I completely formatted my drive, all the partitions and made a new one, installed windows. I skipped the product key activation because I had plans to activate it when it was done installing.

Install goes well, no errors or anything. I finish installing my drivers, steam etc. and when i get to windows activation, it says that it's already activated.. I checked what product key it was using with various tools that would reveal it, and it was using the same key that my last install used, wot

i am  SOOOO confused right now, I formatted all my drives that would keep the key, 

I know that it isn't a UEFI license or whatever, because last time i installed windows it didn't activate, and I used a windows 7 home premium OEM key i had lying around on an old pc

does the media creation tool make a pre-activated installer if you use the "use recommended settings for this pc" option?

this is all on windows 10 btw

2 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

so, i was due for a windows reinstall, it was getting slwo and i had too much installed. I completely formatted my drive, all the partitions and made a new one, installed windows. I skipped the product key activation because I had plans to activate it when it was done installing.

Install goes well, no errors or anything. I finish installing my drivers, steam etc. and when i get to windows activation, it says that it's already activated.. I checked what product key it was using with various tools that would reveal it, and it was using the same key that my last install used, wot

i am  SOOOO confused right now, I formatted all my drives that would keep the key, 

I know that it isn't a UEFI license or whatever, because last time i installed windows it didn't activate, and I used a windows 7 home premium OEM key i had lying around on an old pc

does the media creation tool make a pre-activated installer if you use the "use recommended settings for this pc" option?

UEFI motherboard can store windows product key.. so that's why.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I believe windows leaves something on the drive even if you format it, meaning it can tell if windows has previously been installed on that PC, and from that automatically activates if it has been installed there before, I believe I could be wrong though

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

it can by default? like, even if it was a non-UEFI windows 7 key?

4 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

How did you use a 7 key?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

oh is it on the UEFI thought it was on the hard drive as I have moved shit about and it's still worked like that, so yea, right whoops, I'm probably wrong then

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

How did you use a 7 key?

i used it before the free period for 10 ended, and now it's registered permanently as a windows 7 and 10 key

Pretty sure, but not an expert. This is to enable the eaxct scenario you described, where you just want to re-install. BTW, next time you can simply do a windows refresh, which will remove all the clutter/drivers and be exactly as a new install would anyway, so no need to actually re-install now.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Pretty sure, but not an expert. This is to enable the eaxct scenario you described, where you just want to re-install. BTW, next time you can simply do a windows refresh, which will remove all the clutter/drivers and be exactly as a new install would anyway, so no need to actually re-install now.

it was unpractical, i'm old fashioned and just do a reinstall

2 minutes ago, DraconicFire98 said:

it was unpractical, i'm old fashioned and just do a reinstall

Yeah, I hear ya... and sometimes I do a fresh install too, but usually only when I have a hardware change that requires it like mobo change. There's nothing wrong with a fresh install at all... just easier if non hardware change to either do a refresh, or restore from image... <- this is my favourite, I make an image of the hard drive after a fresh install and commonly used programs and system edits... then if cluttered sometime I can just re-image the hard drive to make it like that again, no more long driver installs and installing programs and system edits until next hardware refresh :D

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yeah, I hear ya... and sometimes I do a fresh install too, but usually only when I have a hardware change that requires it like mobo change. There's nothing wrong with a fresh install at all... just easier if non hardware change to either do a refresh, or restore from image... <- this is my favourite, I make an image of the hard drive after a fresh install and commonly used programs and system edits... then if cluttered sometime I can just re-image the hard drive to make it like that again, no more long driver installs and installing programs and system edits until next hardware refresh :D

iirc the last install was a drive transfer, i never actually reinstalled. just moved the drive from my old pc to the new one without reinstalling

Microsoft has their own database with Windows serials and hardware IDs.  If your hardware (mainly the motherboard serial number IIRC) had already been linked to a Windows 10 install (which happened when you upgraded during the free period), your new Win10 install will activate automatically as soon as the PC connects to the Microsoft servers. 

It is now based off the unique ID of the mainboard components.  This is done via the model of motherboard etc to gather a code to use for activation of a device. 

For example change the main motherboard and the ID will change meaning you would need to reactivate.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

36 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Microsoft has their own database with Windows serials and hardware IDs.  If your hardware (mainly the motherboard serial number IIRC) had already been linked to a Windows 10 install (which happened when you upgraded during the free period), your new Win10 install will activate automatically as soon as the PC connects to the Microsoft servers. 

1 minute ago, Falconevo said:

It is now based off the unique ID of the mainboard components.  This is done via the model of motherboard etc to gather a code to use for activation of a device. 

For example change the main motherboard and the ID will change meaning you would need to reactivate.

interesting, the more i get into PC building, the more i know. lel

its a good thing, you can reinstall the OS as many times as you wish and still reactivate on the same mainboard.  Helpful for Microsoft as it reduces the amount of license requests they get when people reinstall and reach their maximum key activation from back in the days of Vista, Win7 and Win8/8.1.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply