HD 6850 "smelled funky" now I have a headache

Hey there dear LTT Forum User,

As you already read, I've got a problem. 
Long Story: I bought a used HD 6850 and it worked perfectly fine, I opened it up cleaned it till it shined and put that thing back together as I always do with used Hardware. Now, I gave this card to a friend as a gift since I made sure it was running fine and tested thoroughly etc. She got the card put it in and played the For Honor Beta easily and some day she started some random game called Ship-something i dont remember. 9_9 

She played for 10 seconds when suddenly her PC instantly shut off and it started smelling like burnt electronics, (she told me that and i thought the PSU must have had too much since it is a 425 W PSU and this game was very poorly coded.). Not knowing what to do, she fired the PC up again but it refused to boot and only after 30 minutes of waiting she managed to turn it on again. After that green lines appeared and drivers weren't working anymore same with MSI Afterburner. Note: It was still detected by Windows. 

A few hours later she gave the card back to me and i was kinda confused from what she just told me but I said: There is surely a way to fix this... Still found no solution...

BUT

here are some key infos:

The card is still running and putting out a signal.

The card has no visible damage to it.

The card will refuse to boot when proper drivers are installed.

The card won't put out the correct resolution due to missing drivers.

What I wanted to do: 

Use a program e.g. AMD Overdrive and reduce clock speeds for both core and memory to get rid of those ugly artifacts, aswell as voltage to take a little stress off of her PSU.

What I managed to do: Nothing, since no program i know is able to do that without drivers and evertime I install a driver the PC won't boot.

I'm running out of ideas (i still got some though) but I decided to get some help before I waste many more hours on this.

TL;DR:

HD 6850 crashed,

Artifacts appeared,

It isn't detected through any 3rd party app anymore, 

Installing drivers makes the PC not boot properly and only boots in safe mode (I'm writing this from safe boot with internet connection... what a time to be alive O.o)

HALP

Thanks in advance!

it's a dying gpu afaik

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, shadowbyte said:

it's a dying gpu afaik

3 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

It's dying. Nothing to save it.

I know that much, but you know those shows where the doctor tries everything to save this one little kid that has cancer from dying and despite everyone telling him he should give up he tries again and succeeds? I could use one of those moments right now... for 30€ Graphics card... that's not even mine... maybe i exaggerated but you get the point. :D

1 minute ago, Helodon said:

I know that much, but you know those shows where the doctor tries everything to save this one little kid that has cancer from dying and despite everyone telling him he should give up he tries again and succeeds? I could use one of those moments right now... for 30€ Graphics card... that's not even mine... maybe i exaggerated but you get the point. :D

well I mean you could always bake it

/s

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

What drivers are you using for it? Make sure you're using the end of life beta crimson drivers that they did as a final farewell to the 6000 series.

3 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

What drivers are you using for it?

I tried the latest HD 6000 Series drivers:  Catalyst 15.7.1 aswell as Crimson 16.2.1 Beta. One other step i would take would be trying an even older driver.

Oh and the latest ReLive driver aswell just to see what would happen :P

Just now, Bolodin said:

I tried the latest HD 6000 Series drivers:  Catalyst 15.7.1 aswell as Crimson 16.2.1 Beta. One other step i would take would be trying an even older driver.

Oh and the latest ReLive driver aswell just to see what would happen :P

And I assume you've tried this in multiple computers? Because if the card is outputting it should work with drivers, so strange.

Have you tried clearing ALL drivers from the computer using a driver clearing utility?

1 minute ago, Brian McKee said:

And I assume you've tried this in multiple computers? Because if the card is outputting it should work with drivers, so strange.

1 minute ago, Brian McKee said:

Have you tried clearing ALL drivers from the computer using a drive clearing utility?

I tried it in 3 different PCs. Very strange indeed...

Of course. I deinstalled ALL available video drivers, put the card in it booted normally but of course with the windows provided display driver, then tried installing the driver and it crashed at 2% after the let's call it the "normal disconnected and reconnected sound black screen thing".

After that I tried deinstalling the driver again, but this time around i used the iGP of the CPU and installed the driver BEFORE putting the card in. Then i put it back in and after that same black screen, it was still outputting signal but refusing to boot at all, forcing me into safe mode.

9 minutes ago, TheTechnicalGeek said:

If you have an actual headache that means you are high asf. Boiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Bildergebnis für spongebob boi you are not helping...

1 minute ago, Bolodin said:

Bildergebnis für spongebob boi you are not helping...

Ok xD Let me help, Toss that s*** out. Because if it actually gives you a headache it could be chemicals. Plus, You could get a way better GPU for $100 (1050 Ti)

2 hours ago, Helodon said:

Hey there dear LTT Forum User,

As you already read, I've got a problem. 
Long Story: I bought a used HD 6850 and it worked perfectly fine, I opened it up cleaned it till it shined and put that thing back together as I always do with used Hardware. Now, I gave this card to a friend as a gift since I made sure it was running fine and tested thoroughly etc. She got the card put it in and played the For Honor Beta easily and some day she started some random game called Ship-something i dont remember. 9_9 

She played for 10 seconds when suddenly her PC instantly shut off and it started smelling like burnt electronics, (she told me that and i thought the PSU must have had too much since it is a 425 W PSU and this game was very poorly coded.). Not knowing what to do, she fired the PC up again but it refused to boot and only after 30 minutes of waiting she managed to turn it on again. After that green lines appeared and drivers weren't working anymore same with MSI Afterburner. Note: It was still detected by Windows. 

A few hours later she gave the card back to me and i was kinda confused from what she just told me but I said: There is surely a way to fix this... Still found no solution...

BUT

here are some key infos:

The card is still running and putting out a signal.

The card has no visible damage to it.

The card will refuse to boot when proper drivers are installed.

The card won't put out the correct resolution due to missing drivers.

What I wanted to do: 

Use a program e.g. AMD Overdrive and reduce clock speeds for both core and memory to get rid of those ugly artifacts, aswell as voltage to take a little stress off of her PSU.

What I managed to do: Nothing, since no program i know is able to do that without drivers and evertime I install a driver the PC won't boot.

I'm running out of ideas (i still got some though) but I decided to get some help before I waste many more hours on this.

TL;DR:

HD 6850 crashed,

Artifacts appeared,

It isn't detected through any 3rd party app anymore, 

Installing drivers makes the PC not boot properly and only boots in safe mode (I'm writing this from safe boot with internet connection... what a time to be alive O.o)

HALP

Thanks in advance!

it's dead jim 

11 hours ago, Helodon said:

It probably doesn't have bios switch so it's probably impossible to reset overclocks. Maybe you can do it somehow but it would be hard

sorry bud, I don't think there's a lot you can do.

I had to say goodbye to my 6850 some time ago, it was tough. feels.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz