Advice on setting up shared network connection over 2 sites

dregger

Hey guys, looking for some advice,

We wish to share an internet connection between 2 houses ~150-200 meters apart, with direct line of sight. The connection is currently ~110mb/s, with the possibility of going upto 300mb/s, with very minimal millisecond delay.

Is it a UK Virgin cable connection. currently we use the supplied Hub (mk1) as the main router, and have 2 switches in the house.

The setup we wish is to have is full wired and wireless coverage in both properties.

Were looking at something like the Ubiquiti NBE-5AC-16 or similar to create the PTP element of the network, but unsure about the routers needed. the hub does not appear to support wired bridging.

I'm working on the assumption that we will need a Router on both ends of the PTP Link, with the Hub in modem mode.

What do you recommend to use for both routers, and alternatives for the Ubiquiti, - These are in our budget at ~£60 a unit.

What level of hardware do we need to do what we want at the speed we want? Having a hard time working out which routers can do what we need.

All advice appreciated, Thank you

7 minutes ago, dregger said:

Hey guys, looking for some advice,

We wish to share an internet connection between 2 houses ~150-200 meters apart, with direct line of sight. The connection is currently ~110mb/s, with the possibility of going upto 300mb/s, with very minimal millisecond delay.

Is it a UK Virgin cable connection. currently we use the supplied Hub (mk1) as the main router, and have 2 switches in the house.

The setup we wish is to have is full wired and wireless coverage in both properties.

Were looking at something like the Ubiquiti NBE-5AC-16 or similar to create the PTP element of the network, but unsure about the routers needed. the hub does not appear to support wired bridging.

I'm working on the assumption that we will need a Router on both ends of the PTP Link, with the Hub in modem mode.

What do you recommend to use for both routers, and alternatives for the Ubiquiti, - These are in our budget at ~£60 a unit.

What level of hardware do we need to do what we want at the speed we want? Having a hard time working out which routers can do what we need.

All advice appreciated, Thank you

Linus did a review on the Ubiquiti PTP airMAX units and they look impressive. In reality you only need a single router (at the modem) and you can hook the PTP links to switches and all the devices can hook up to the switches on both sides. Just pretend the PTP link is a cable and you're just daisy chaining switches.

MODEM <---> ROUTER <---> SWITCH <---> PTP <---> PTP <---> SWITCH

EDIT: If your router has enough ports then you can get rid of the switch between the router and first PTP link.

EDIT2: For wireless, just grab two cheap Ubiquiti UniFi Access Points and hook one up on each end.

Sorry for the edits, I'm on mobile and trying to be brief.

-KuJoe

thanks for the input any recommendations on witch router to use? 

The router is unimportant in this scenario, all the router is really there for is to pass out IPs via DHCP and route the internal subnet as per its NAT.

If you configure the P2P wireless system to be a layer2 transparent bridge, rather than a routed network.  You will have the same internal IP subnet across the bridge and gather the same DHCP IP range from the router on the other side.

Ubiquiti hardware is capable of this, I have installed a pair of airFiber products between two factory buildings and used the layer2 transparent bridge to keep the private internal subnet present in the opposite office for ad (sites/services) and VPN reasons.

Modem / Router > Switch > P2P [LAYER2 TRANSPARENT] P2P > Switch

\ Devices                                                             \ Devices

You can leave the SuperDud in router mode for this config, it won't be aware of the layer 2 bridge as its transparent.  It will just assume another switch exists on the network.

For the bandwidth requirements you have, I would suggest the AirMax Nanobeam products from Ubiquiti :)

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

This model is capable of 450Mbit+ according to the spec sheet;

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NBE-5AC-16-High-Performance-airMAX-NanoBeam/dp/B019PDI6OY/ref=pd_sim_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9DZW1VA1HXTKVFETPPA6

I don't have any experience with their NanoBeam line but their AirFiber stuff is absolutely ballin.  I imagine the exact same ubiquiti airOS and feature sets are available.

Here's some related reading for you;

https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/NanoBeam_ac/NanoBeam_ac_DS.pdf

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply