Windows PC getting wrong IP address despite DHCP in VMWare

Bazilias

I installed a Windows 8 (x64) machine in VMWare and a DHCP server using Windows Server 2012 R2 in VMWare with the current configuration:

Default DHCP configuration

IP Address Range 192.168.0.20 -> 192.168.0.80
IPv4-Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

IPv4-Standard Gateway: 192.168.0.1

IPv4-DHCP-Server: 192.168.0.2

IPv4-DNS-Server: 192.168.0.2

The DHCP server said it gave an ip address to the Windows 8 computer within the domain but when I go take a look it gives me this ip address: 192.168.37.131
https://gyazo.com/6167f08fc905091bdd3359cc0ecf13ab

As you can see it's not in the range with the DHCP server. I've set both network adapters on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 to VMNet1 (Host-Only).

The problem will get solved if I take the computer out of the domain and then put it back in, but after I login again the ip address will change again.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

What happenes when you set the Gateway / DHCP / DNS IP address to x.x.0.1?

Also whats the lease time for IPs on the DHCP, if you've connected the VM before it could be that..

If my posts help out, let me know on the feedback buttons.

Parts: Ryzen 5 1600X / GTX 1080 / 16Gb Vengeance LPX / RGB Stuff....

Full Specs here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LcdZVY - OR click my profile pic

Not a certified networking guy, but if I had to guess, it would be that the 2 VMs aren't communicating properly. Are you able to ping and talk to the DHCP server through the Windows 8 VM?

(My guess is the Host-only network adapters needs to be changed)

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Not a certified networking guy, but if I had to guess, it would be that the 2 VMs aren't communicating properly. Are you able to ping and talk to the DHCP server through the Windows 8 VM?

(My guess is the Host-only network adapters needs to be changed)

I've changed it to NAT and other VMNets but the problem is still the same. Im not able to ping the server. Also on the Windows Server it says that the DHCP server has 192.168.0.2 as IP Address but on Windows 8 it doesn't. I don't know what to do exactly with the network adapters.

8 minutes ago, Danny_UK said:

What happenes when you set the Gateway / DHCP / DNS IP address to x.x.0.1?

Also whats the lease time for IPs on the DHCP, if you've connected the VM before it could be that..

The lease time is one day.
I don't know what you mean when I set the gateway to x.x.0.1?

If you can't ping VM2 from VM1 then the network adapters aren't set up properly. I'm not too experienced with VM's so I can't help you much aside from the fact you need to get them communicating. (Is there a way to "bridge" VM1 and VM2?)

11 minutes ago, RaptorCandy said:

The lease time is one day.
I don't know what you mean when I set the gateway to x.x.0.1?

Set it to 192.168.0.1 and see how that does.  Touching on what (NinJake) said have you checked all the VM Software network setting to make sure there is nothing that's overriding it at boot up like a default IP of x.x.x.x? Have you compared the IP Configs of when you are on the correct IP for the network compared to when you're not to see what could be causing it?

Have you tired to release the MAC/IP binding before connecting to the domain? Does the client have a "Preferred" IP address that been auto configured?

Sorry I haven't done networking for a while, those are some things to consider.  Maybe attach some screen prints of the settings you're using client and server side with the vm network adapters you've selected.

x = any numerical value 

If my posts help out, let me know on the feedback buttons.

Parts: Ryzen 5 1600X / GTX 1080 / 16Gb Vengeance LPX / RGB Stuff....

Full Specs here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LcdZVY - OR click my profile pic