Do you think this guy is cleaning the computer the right way ?

Hey guys,

i have a very dusty PC mainly because of the environment it is in (cigarette smoke, lots of ventilation etc). So cleaning my PC is quite a chore. So is it worth while to clean my PC like this as it will save me a lot of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtFft2R6aWw

No, he should have blown from the inside out, preferably mounting out the psu and making sure it got out.

compressed air is king when it comes to cleaning tho, i bought an electric 1.5 horse power one through my job, and its overkill for me but eh.

also, make sure the fans are NOT spinning as they die very fast when they rotate by air pressure.

i usually just hold them down with finger or whatever while i clean my pc.

Dust filters.

Stop smoking.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Hey guys,

i have a very dusty PC mainly because of the environment it is in (cigarette smoke, lots of ventilation etc). So cleaning my PC is quite a chore. So is it worth while to clean my PC like this as it will save me a lot of time.

Its just compressed air, not any different from the cans. I use an air compressor all the time. I would recommend blowing from the inside out and if it is that bad removing the PSU and cleaning that separately.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Think thats bad, this guy is using a leaf blower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FdOB_96jQ

Gaming System: i7 3770k @4.6GHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H, 8GB Corsair 1600MHz, 2 x MSI GTX 670 PE, Fractal R4, 256GB Crucial M4, Fractal Newton R3 1000W White

Steam Box: Xeon E3 1280 @ 3.5GHz, Intel S1200KP, 8GB Corsair White LP, 1x EVGA GTX 570, Fractal Node 304 White, 64GB Intel SSD, Fractal Tesla R2 650w White

Not really seeing any issues to me, same as using a can of compressed air.

I use a shop vac with the hose on the exhaust port. Cleaned out computers a thousand times (literally) without any issues.

Personally, I use a compressor. I do a 2-4 second spray then stop and do it again. Also, HOLD the flipping fans when you blow. 

did anyone else notice he didnt have an IO shield?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

A little OT, but I don't think this is the right method for the job either

Edit: Compressed air is nice, but make sure it doesn't spin up your fans, and unless you know what you're doing, do not use a compressor like he does

also, make sure the fans are NOT spinning as they die very fast when they rotate by air pressure.

This is completely false.  Please provide source?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

looks fine to me

i had a similar set up before

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i used to hear that to

but i heard that spinning the fan would damage components because it would push a charge to the board not sure if true

but never happened to me

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Does it end up clean?

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Its basic engineering knowledge, bearings will be ruined by the speed they never was designed for.

I've had graphics card fans die due to fan spinning too fast when cleaning, as well as a couple of case fans get "stuck" or go really slowly.

many say that when you spin the fan backwards you can create a backflow of electricity but idk, i've never seen that happen or have mobo's dying over it.

Its basic engineering knowledge, bearings will be ruined by the speed they never was designed for.

^ this. spinning the fan faster than the design of the elements and structures will/can

cause premature failure. especially the bearings as they usually are limited lubrication

bronze sleeves on a steel shaft.

Been cleaning pc's with air compressors for 15 years or so never had a issue with it . 

If your doing it in a shop run the shop vac near it to suck in all the dust and it wont fill up the air with a ploom of dust. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

I guess I'm the only one who cleans the dust out of my PC with qtips and alcohol?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I've had graphics card fans die due to fan spinning too fast when cleaning, as well as a couple of case fans get "stuck" or go really slowly.

many say that when you spin the fan backwards you can create a backflow of electricity but idk, i've never seen that happen or have mobo's dying over it.

I think some sort of motors do generate current when rotated by hand and it will cause damage IIRC but I can't remember what maybe stepper motors. But fans I believe don't generate current

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

With an air compressor, you'll never get the fans spinning faster then the designated speed they were designed to. I clean computers out all day at work, and i haven't broken one yet. Also something none of you mentioned. He's not using a moisture filter. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

The old p4 my parents used had a lot more dust than that one.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

I think some sort of motors do generate current when rotated by hand and it will cause damage IIRC but I can't remember what maybe stepper motors. But fans I believe don't generate current

I think its older electric motors that caused back-flow if they were plugged in, since they were basically small electric generators when going in reverse

^ this. spinning the fan faster than the design of the elements and structures will/can

cause premature failure. especially the bearings as they usually are limited lubrication

bronze sleeves on a steel shaft.

Indeed, sleeved fans suffer the worst from "speeding" with compressed air.

Also compressors (unless they are very good ones) produce small amounts of water vapour. so you are running the risk of putting water all over your pc.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

My old 3300+ died cause of dust of course I didn't know any better was really young got blamed that I did something.It literaly had huge clumps of dust in every fan that just clogged everything up.

I got a nice compressor. 120PSI cleans it out quite quickly.

120 PSI is a bit much, you should go down to 70 to 90 PSI.

Hey guys,

That's exactly how I do it at work and I do it to $4K+ USD workstations, all are fine, not one component or part broken.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.