89 Percent of U.S. Kids Use Mobile Devices, Up From 38 Percent in 2011

Snickerzz
A new study from Common Sense Media reveals that the percentage of U.S. children who’ve used a mobile device has exploded over the past few years, jumping to 89 percent of all children in 2013 up from just 38 percent in 2011. The survey polled American parents with a child ranging in age from newborn to eight-years-old, covering smartphones, tablets and any other portable device with a screen.

Thats a big jump O.o I personally didn't have a mobile device until i was 12-13 ish and it was a flip phone :D

from TechnoBison http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/11/03/89-percent-of-u-s-kids-use-mobile-devices-up-from-38-percent-in-2011/

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Shit, when I was a kid, my mom wouldn't even let me take my Gameboy out, and now these spoiled devil spanws get iPhones...

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

I'm 12 and I have a hand-me-down iPhone. My dad bought it for himself a couple years ago and now it's mine. (It doesn't have a valid SIM Card....) I don't bring it to school and I can't call anybody unless I'm using my router's internet.

Shit, when I was a kid, my mom wouldn't even let me take my Gameboy out, and now these spoiled devil spanws get iPhones..

What kind of mother is that?

I have a Nokia flip from 2009 with no data plan...

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

When I was about 12 or so, my parents gave me a Motorola Razr for emergency calls(and really, that's what I used it for, so I never really used it!). I still have it and it works great!

Then when I went to high school(14-15) I got a hand me down iPhone, it was one of the original 2G's. It was great for texting, but I didn't really text back then.

After that I got a HTC HD2(windows phone, but I flashed it and ROM'd it with Android), the screen ended up dying on me and I went back to the iPhone, then recently I got a HTC DNA.

motorola-razr-v3-4-300x300.jpg

motorola-razr-v3-4-300x300.jpg

gahh why did they make the numberpad a different color?! 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I had phone with 9 just that my parents could call me or I could call them if something happens, but it had not even a colore screen or a camera wich was normal to that time :P
It couldn't even play MP3 xD

But it also had to be charged once a week(Not like every day with new phones)  :)

RTX2070OC 

I still don't have a cellphone, and I am at university.

Living In A Cave Master Race W00t!

But honestly, smartphone/cellphones are 100% useless, unless you have a very specif needs, like for work.

When I am out, I am out.. I don't want to be called at.

If I eat, I eat with a friend(s), not my phone... I don't want to be disturbed.

You want to reach me? call home leave a message, e-mail me, or wait until I get online on IM.

I don't really know how to feel about this. I kinda think that kids should at least carry a phone with them in case of emergency and I think it's okay as long as they don't overuse it.
I don't really care if they get something better than what I had when I was younger since the society is ever changing as technology progresses. 

I only had a Samsung D500 flip phone when I was 12. Only got my iPhone when I was about 15-16. Kids these days carrying iPhones at the age of 10!

I don't really know how to feel about this. I kinda think that kids should at least carry a phone with them in case of emergency and I think it's okay as long as they don't overuse it.

I don't really care if they get something better than what I had when I was younger since the society is ever changing as technology progresses. 

Yes because, since the humans roam the planet, it was a big issue :facepalm:

Sorry, but this just a stupid excuse.

This is getting out of hand, the little kid will be perfectly fine with a book, or gods forbid, they can actually put their device down and SOCIALIZE!

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

This is getting out of hand, the little kid will be perfectly fine with a book, or gods forbid, they can actually put their device down and SOCIALIZE!

People are jumping to huge conclusions. 89% of kids have phones, therefor they all don't socialize? 

89% of this thread is over exaggerated bullshit. The article also says "portable devices with screens" Would this include Nintendo DS/3/2/XL, Playstation Vita etc.? If so I call bullshit on this entire survey. Just noticed it includes iPads as well, so how is this survey indicative of how many kids actually own phones?

My sister gave her daughter (11 years old) her old iPhone 3, why throw it away when you can give it to a family member?

Bigger question here: does any of this really matter? So what "when I was a kid..." the new kids have things you didn't at the time. It's always like that.

sysloc

I know everybody here is flipping out but to be fairly honest, it's not a super bad thing

It might get some more kids into tech.

They learn how to navigate and use OSes, and as we know digital matters and tech are the future, so they will be better prepared.

It's not the end of the world.

Anti social tendencies may erupt but that's part of the upbringing aye? ( think 'no smartphones at the dinner table etc')

Also indeed, we are progressing forward people, not backwards.

Yes, I also had a flip phone at 12, but I am also happy my sister can enjoy an S2.

This isn't 2005.

Sure these kids are using mobile devices. The main problem that I have with this is I bet none of them know how any of it works under the hood. I make it a habit to learn how pieces of technology work. I use this same argument whenever someone from my generation says they are computer savvy. If I hand you a snippet of code from part of an application, you better know how to read it. I still have yet to see any sort of technology class focus on how to properly troubleshoot a piece of technology. This is stuff that should be common knowledge, however it is not. i think we should have more schools focus on how technology as a whole works, a brief overview of everything from computer hardware to wireless communication.

Sure we have tons of kids that can use a device, but if an application crashes or does not work as intended they are worse then useless. They have no ability to fix a device if something runs into a problem.

The only reason I have a smartphone is for games, easily check twitter, and the ability to check email easily. Other than that, I have a PC and I can be patient. Hell, if flip phones were still around, I would probably use one instead of a smartphone. 

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Yep, I actually had my first phone when I was about ten, only because my parents had split up when I was in second grade, and since we moved in with my stepdad, it was hard for him to get in touch with me, unless I was the one who answered the phone, so my dad and I went down to Verizon, and got the cheapest phone they had, which was some Motorola flip phone, I forgot the exact model, and I had that until I was about 12ish, when it fell from my mom's hand down a flight of stairs. From then until now (just turned seventeen) I have been solely responsible for buying, paying the bill for, and taking care of any electronic device I own. It's also what got me into computers, I have always been interested in them, but when I bought my first generation, one gigabyte iPod nano, I wanted to put RockBox on it, and i had to figure it out myself, I still have it, and use it frequently. I'm starting to ramble here, but my point is, it helped me, by making me responsible for something that I cared about, and for introducing me to the inner workings of technology, I am not some weirdo who just sits in a corner all day, I have plenty of friends, maybe I play a bit too much Crysis, but hey, it's an amazing game. If you give your young kid a piece of technology, make sure they appreciate the value of it, and understand their responsibility to not lose it, break it, or otherwise screw up

Main Machines~ Prometheus - i7 3930k @ 4.5GHz, X79-UD3, HyperX Blu 1600Mhz 24Gb (2x8Gb, 2x4Gb), XFX Double-D 7970, H100i, Military green C70, TX850M, All Corsair SP/AF-120 fans, Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb, 750Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM x2, NZXT Hue accent lights (wouldn't reccommend, they don't stick well). Laptop~ Asus X202E touch notebook- 500Gb 5400RPM 7mm HDD, 4Gb RAM-not upgradeable, 1.8GHz i3, HD4000

My Niece is 12 she has a Galaxy SII, an ipad 2, and the new ipad air thing. My nephew is 8 and he has an iphone 5. 

I've expressed my disgust to her but she doesn't seem to comprehend.

I'm 16 but I've been collecting parts and upgrades for my computer for over 3 years and I bought my S3 for myself out of money from a part time job at 15. 

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I can believe it. Although I am part of the small percent that has nothing.

Shit, when I was a kid, my mom wouldn't even let me take my Gameboy out, and now these spoiled devil spanws get iPhones...

i believe its part of the problem

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

lol, I don't have a phone yet

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ