89 Percent of U.S. Kids Use Mobile Devices, Up From 38 Percent in 2011

Snickerzz

Shit, when I was a kid, my mom wouldn't even let me take my Gameboy out, and now these spoiled devil spanws get iPhones...

same by me :)

I bought my first fone with 14 and i didnt even had black and wite screen i just had a pixel screen

And my first usable fone was with 16 :)

I know everybody here is flipping out but to be fairly honest, it's not a super bad thing

It might get some more kids into tech.

They learn how to navigate and use OSes, and as we know digital matters and tech are the future, so they will be better prepared.

It's not the end of the world.

Anti social tendencies may erupt but that's part of the upbringing aye? ( think 'no smartphones at the dinner table etc')

You haven't seen kids use smartphones have you? They get absorbed into whatever reality they are currently viewing. They become fixated on whatever "user x" posts in their instagram to the point where it is a little bit scary. Maybe in a different time kids would be more interested in knowing the inner workings but from the large demographic I see they are learning nothing from the expensive bricks in their hands. I realize there are always exceptions to this but there are not many.

I guess what I am saying as the kids don't see smart phones as the incredible pieces of technology they are. All they are to them is a way to extend their perception and influence to a wider area. Rarely do they stop and think about HOW their phones enable to do what they can do.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

My first cell phone was a Motorola V120 didn't get it unit I was 18 or 19.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

You haven't seen kids use smartphones have you? They get absorbed into whatever reality they are currently viewing. They become fixated on whatever "user x" posts in their instagram to the point where it is a little bit scary. Maybe in a different time kids would be more interested in knowing the inner workings but from the large demographic I see they are learning nothing from the expensive bricks in their hands. I realize there are always exceptions to this but there are not many.

I guess what I am saying as the kids don't see smart phones as the incredible pieces of technology they are. All they are to them is a way to extend their perception and influence to a wider area. Rarely do they stop and think about HOW their phones enable to do what they can do.

Like I said, it MIGHT awake an interest in it, obviously it doesn't happen always.

I still think it isn't as bad as people say ' in my day' is in the past, we are living in the here and now. Times change, we should see how the next generations turn out before judging.

Like I said, it MIGHT awake an interest in it, obviously it doesn't happen always.

I still think it isn't as bad as people say ' in my day' is in the past, we are living in the here and now. Times change, we should see how the next generations turn out before judging.

I think there are serious problems in this generation but I don't think smartphones have anything to do with it. At the same time I don't see smartphones doing kids any good.

Still I see what you mean and I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I think there are serious problems in this generation but I don't think smartphones have anything to do with it. At the same time I don't see smartphones doing kids any good.

Still I see what you mean and I guess we just have to wait and see what happens.

Yeah, but every generation has it's problems. Each older generation looks down on the newer one, it's just how it is. :P

I don't really know how to feel about this. I kinda think that kids should at least carry a phone with them in case of emergency and I think it's okay as long as they don't overuse it.

I don't really care if they get something better than what I had when I was younger since the society is ever changing as technology progresses. 

The issue I have is that it's become a recent trend to compare phones and if you don't have the latest iPhone, you're socially retarded (apparently).

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

they didnt say the age, for all we know its ages 1-17.

yes it did, read the quote i had, 0-8 years old

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

My Niece is 12 she has a Galaxy SII, an ipad 2, and the new ipad air thing. My nephew is 8 and he has an iphone 5. 

I've expressed my disgust to her but she doesn't seem to comprehend.

I'm 16 but I've been collecting parts and upgrades for my computer for over 3 years and I bought my S3 for myself out of money from a part time job at 15.

i know how you feel, my neighbor gets everything handed to him, i had to work for my gs4 (just got it a few weeks ago, i was using a htc one v... Most god awful phone)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I didn't get a smartphone until this past summer and that was just because the price difference between a flip and smartphone is very small on my network. I think it is natural evolution, as tech evolves it makes its way down to all members of society. And giving kids access to the mighty internet anywhere lets them learn if they choose to. It doesn't help 90% of them since they just use it for social media, but for that 10% they can actually use it to give them advantages over the rest. 

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.