AMD vs. NVIDIA from a neutral standpoint.

The best graphics card on the market for its price is the GTX 1070. A very powerful card. The best graphics card isn't normally the fastest graphics card. That honor goes to the new Titan X, which outperforms the GTX 1080 by about 20-25 percent—and all for 'only' twice the cost! Similarly, the best card isn't the least expensive option, because while there are cards (like the RX 470 and GTX 1060) that deliver great value, performance is still a factor. The best graphics card is the one that can strike a balance between high performance and a reasonable price.

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, luegnicl said:

Who is better at what?

AMD is better at computing performance and nvidia would be better at phyx and stuff like that

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Historically, AMD has been better with accessibility (open-source stuff), GPGPU applications, and value. Nvidia has historically been been at least slightly better with pure gaming performance and exclusive technologies (though the latter I think is more of a negative...).

Both sort of even out with efficiency and heat overall, so the "AMD space-heater" stuff is mostly just an inside joke.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

As of right now, NVIDIA is dominating the market. The RX 460 is no better than the gtx 1050. The RX 480 is no better than the gtx 1060. They don't even have any competition for the gtx 1070, 1080, and TitanXP yet. Their only interesting card is the RX 470, and even that is only a few dollars cheaper than the RX 480, so you might as well just buy the 480. However, I am hopeful that the latest AMD flagship releasing this year will at least be able to complete with the gtx 1070.

My legit rig:

CPU: i5 6600k GPU: Asus Strix 1070 RAM: 16 GB of Corsair LPX CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard:  Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Storage: Adata Sp550 120 GB and WD Black 3 TB Case: NZXT Manta Power Supply: EVGA 550 GS Monitors: 2 LG 25UM58-P Ultrawides Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid-i Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB

They both have their problems and they're both good at making video cards. One is just better at getting themselves out there and the other almost always comes across as the retarded cousin who dropped out of high school and never grew up; they are always asking you for cigarette money even though they can buy it themselves with their own money.

But basically one isn't necessarily better than the other 100%. Right now, Nvidia has the better cards on the market.

5 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Historically, AMD has been better with accessibility (open-source stuff), GPGPU applications, and value. Nvidia has historically been been at least slightly better with pure gaming performance and exclusive technologies (though the latter I think is more of a negative...).

Both sort of even out with efficiency and heat overall, so the "AMD space-heater" stuff is mostly just an inside joke.

I'm using my system as a space heater right now... My room is in the corner of the house, so it gets pretty chilly this time of year. A dual e5-2670v1 workstation with a 1070 and a 1060 each handed to their own vm and both running valley benchmark keeps the room much more pleasant ;)

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

High end is nVidia while tight budget end is AMD.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Heat is not only a amd thing. I own a gtx 970 hybrid and the heat the Radiotor expels is enormous

Edited by luegnicl

12 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

Nvidia is better at selling GPU's for $1000+

AMD is better at not selling GPU's for $1000+

Agreed, yet Nvidia GPU's are worth that investment, in my opinion

Just now, luegnicl said:

Heat is not only a amd thing. I own a gtx 970 hybrid and the heat the Radiotor expels is enormous

It shouldn't be that bad, unless you're exaggerating. What are the temps like?

Nvidia is a lot more "closed curtains" while AMD is much more out there, and open about their projects, architecture, and other things Nvidia would normally keep "secret".

Just now, Josh Ymbras said:

didnt say they werent, I agree to a certain extent but Nvidia really does bleed you dry because you dont have an alternative if you want the absolute highest performance you can get.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

3 minutes ago, Josh Ymbras said:

not to me, look at what DX12 did to Nvidia : -10% perf average vs DX11, while +30%perf with AMD

1 minute ago, Ostwind said:

didnt say they werent, I agree to a certain extent but Nvidia really does bleed you dry because you dont have an alternative if you want the absolute highest performance you can get.

For what is worth the costs or developing such high end performance are in no way cheap, many companies tried stepping on the field and had to shut down their ambitions due to economic pressure, even ATI who had good numbers didn't manage to go on alone and had to partnership with AMD.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1070 is the best price to performance, the 470 is a great budget card, the 1060 and 480 are evenly matched and getting one over the other only depends on their price. The 1080 and Titan XP are the best consumer cards. The 460 and 1050 are poor performers and should probably be avoided.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

1 minute ago, Ostwind said:

I see where you come from. Nvidia's price to performance, as Linus always talks about, is very bad. AMD may not be "as high end", but they are nice to use when you dont want to break the bank and get great performance, instead of perfection.

6 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

It shouldn't be that bad, unless you're exaggerating. What are the temps like?

To be honest, the card is at 60 degrees celsius. but only because the radiator is able to carry the heat away fast enough. But that might be because the card is running at nearly 1700 MHz at the highest voltage possible

2 minutes ago, belfouf said:

not to me, look at what DX12 did to Nvidia : -10% perf average vs DX11, while +30%perf with AMD

Touche. xD

1 minute ago, Sreno1 said:

1070 is the best price to performance, the 470 is a great budget card, the 1060 and 480 are evenly matched and getting one over the other only depends on their price. The 1080 and Titan XP are the best consumer cards. The 460 and 1050 are poor performers and should probably be avoided.

yes, but if you want a budget card AMD is better price to performance in the budget category

1 minute ago, Josh Ymbras said:

yes, but if you want a budget card AMD is better price to performance in the budget category

Yes, but overall you get the best performance for your money with the 1070.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

1 minute ago, luegnicl said:

To be honest, the card is at 60 degrees celsius. but only because the radiator is able to carry the heat away fast enough. But that might be because the card is running at nearly 1700 MHz at the highest voltage possible

Well that's what it's supposed to be doing :P