Where is my bottlenck in file transfers or is there one?

brighttail

Greetings,

I have a synology NAS with  1000Mbps potential but it is currently  reading 100Mbps

I have an Asus RT-N66U which says RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT with max. bit rate 10/100/1000/Gigabits Mbps   (I'm reading this at 1000Mbps potential)

My INTERNET coming into the wall is 100M DLS but since i'm in the country I only actually get speeds of about 12 Mbps.

I'm running Cat 5 and cat 6 cables  (Cat 5 in a wall connecting lower and upper part of the house) Cat 6 coming from router to Wall and from upper wall to my computer.

When I'm transferring from computer to router over a wired which is connected to the router and then to the NAS all by wires.. I'm getting 11.5 MBs.  It seems very slow. 

The numbers always get me confused.  Is this correct?  Is my older router the bottleneck?    Is my NAS reading only 100Mbsp because that is the speed of the internet coming in?  Wouldn't it default to the 1000Mbps of the cable coming into it from the router and shouldn't it allow me 1000Mbps across my network?

I know I'm missing something but would like some help with the explanation.

Thanks!

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

The house was built a while ago and so I unscrewed the wall mount for the RJ45 and yeah it is a normal cat 5, not even a 5e.

It is only a 10 foot cable but I 'd have to feed it down a wall, which isn't hard I could loop it to the existing cable.  My bigger worry is the wiring.  I've seen vids on it and I'd be scared to screw up something, which I know I shouldn't be since even on the back of the Rj 45 jack there is a colour code.  I'm just wondering now what type of tools I need to do all this.    Never done it before.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

7 minutes ago, brighttail said:

The house was built a while ago and so I unscrewed the wall mount for the RJ45 and yeah it is a normal cat 5, not even a 5e.

It is only a 10 foot cable but I 'd have to feed it down a wall, which isn't hard I could loop it to the existing cable.  My bigger worry is the wiring.  I've seen vids on it and I'd be scared to screw up something, which I know I shouldn't be since even on the back of the Rj 45 jack there is a colour code.  I'm just wondering now what type of tools I need to do all this.    Never done it before.

You could use a punch or flat-head screwdriver to push the cables in.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I saw that punch tool.  The documentation that I saw the wires weren't stripped down to the actual wire just the coloured sheath.  When pushing the cable in, does the tool cut the sheath properly to ensure contact with the wire and would the screw driver do the same thing? Sorry for the newb questions.  I've done phone wiring and there you have to have an exposed wire.

No when using a punch down tool, you don't need to strip it down to the bare wire. When you "punchdown", the small metal bit you put the wire through, will "pierce" the sheath and that is what give you your connection.

And no, I wouldn't recommend a screwdriver, the punchdown tool will cut of excess also and make sure you get a good connection.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

44 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

And no, I wouldn't recommend a screwdriver, the punchdown tool will cut of excess also and make sure you get a good connection.

Yah, should have been more clear. Screwdriver is usually the tool of last resort for me. Punchdown is preferred but if you can't get your hands on one and need to have the wire punched down a screwdriver can work.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

18 hours ago, brighttail said:

Greetings,

I have a synology NAS with  1000Mbps potential but it is currently  reading 100Mbps

I have an Asus RT-N66U which says RJ45 for 10/100/1000/Gigabits BaseT with max. bit rate 10/100/1000/Gigabits Mbps   (I'm reading this at 1000Mbps potential)

My INTERNET coming into the wall is 100M DLS but since i'm in the country I only actually get speeds of about 12 Mbps.

I'm running Cat 5 and cat 6 cables  (Cat 5 in a wall connecting lower and upper part of the house) Cat 6 coming from router to Wall and from upper wall to my computer.

When I'm transferring from computer to router over a wired which is connected to the router and then to the NAS all by wires.. I'm getting 11.5 MBs.  It seems very slow. 

The numbers always get me confused.  Is this correct?  Is my older router the bottleneck?    Is my NAS reading only 100Mbsp because that is the speed of the internet coming in?  Wouldn't it default to the 1000Mbps of the cable coming into it from the router and shouldn't it allow me 1000Mbps across my network?

I know I'm missing something but would like some help with the explanation.

Thanks!

Sorry to jump in here, there are a lot of good folks here already... I'm just wondering as I didn't see mention anywhere of what you were transferring to ?

Oh, nevermind, on another read I got what you meant, lol

One thing though, although it shouldn't matter that much as you're using all wired connections and I am almost certain it is what the others have said above that is the problem:-

1.  Have you checked your PC isn't only using 10/100?  go here: Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, click on ethernet, it will open a window and it should say 1Gbps

Capture.PNG

ignore the part about no internet access, that's only there as I am using my VPN at the moment. It's just something to check, might save you having to change your in-wall wires.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Sorry to jump in here, there are a lot of good folks here already... I'm just wondering as I didn't see mention anywhere of what you were transferring to ?

Oh, nevermind, on another read I got what you meant, lol

One thing though, although it shouldn't matter that much as you're using all wired connections and I am almost certain it is what the others have said above that is the problem:-

1.  Have you checked your PC isn't only using 10/100?  go here: Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, click on ethernet, it will open a window and it should say 1Gbps

Hey there and thanks for your note.  Yeah it is reading 1Gbps.  We moved into this house about 8 years ago and I have no idea when they put the ethernet cable from the downstairs to the upstairs, but it is a Cat 5, everything else is Cat 6 so that has to be the bottleneck.  I'm hitting exactly 11.5 MBps when transferring files to my NAS and to my other computers. 

To be sure I'll try an experiment tomorrow and dig out my wireless card on the machine upstairs. I'll by pass the cat 5 and just go straight wireless and see if i can get above 11.5MBps on my 5GHz bandwidth.  I won't get the full Gigabyte transfer speed but I if I get anything above 11.5, then I'll definitely know where the bottleneck is.  If I don't get any increase then it is either a setting on the router or the NAS.

Yup, found the bottleneck.

Patched a cat 6 cable directly from router to NAS.  Connected to it wirelessly over 5GHz bandwidth. Immediately I was getting 15-17 MBps.

So i have the capability just not the cables. I can rectify that.

I do have a question.. I have DSL.  I'm slated for max 22MBs from the street.  Due tothe fact I live in an old house with old wiring I always suspected the fact i can only get 10-15 was cause of the wiring.  I don't know if my modem is gigabyte modem or if there is a thing but would upgrading that wire to cat 6 improve things any?

EDIT *  I think I answered my own question the DSL modem I have is 10/100 and is limited to 24 Mbsp, so i MIGHT get a little closer to that with a better wire but that is about it.  Internally tho, if I change the bottleneck wire to a Cat 6, my internal network (My computer > Router > NAS > and back on LAN) should be a gigabyte network.

I could go with a Cat 5e for the space between floors as I'm not going to get over 1000 MBps but if i'm future proofing and going into the wall I might as well lay a Cat 6 down. Which will replace the Cat 5.

Just to be clear, are you talking 22megabytes (MBps) per second, or 22megabits(mbps) per second? I assume because your talking about DSL, its the latter. If so, Cat5 wouldn't be a bottleneck on your internet, as it is rated for 100mbps or 11.5MBps as you have discovered. 

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Yes but that is internet speed which I'm not 100% worried about.   It is the file transfer speed that was 11.5MBps over a Gigabyte Router/NAS that was getting me upset.  

SUCCESS!

Went to the local computer store looking for a Cat 5e or Cat 6 that were reasonably priced and about 20 feet long. I know I don't need at Cat 6 but I figured since I was putting it in a wall, might as well future proof in case they ever finally decide to bring fiber out here to the boonies.  

Well 20 feet of either was $75 at the Computer Store.  To hell with that.  Went to Home Depot and not only did I get 20 feet of Cat 5e, but the guy attached the connectors so all I had to do was buy some wall plates and snap them into place after i fed the line.  Bonus that I didn't have to buy a punch-down tool and all for the low price of $22.63.

I tied the new wire to the old wire via a velcro strap and pulled it up through the wall. Super simple. Whole thing took less than 10 minutes.  Connected everything and tested.  115MB/s transfer speed.  :):):)   I can't believe I have lived her 5 years and never thought to check all this. I have been puttering along with 11.5MB/s for far too long.

Anyway I'm very happy.  Thank you all for your help in getting me to the point where I could wrap my head around all this.

5 hours ago, brighttail said:

SUCCESS!

Went to the local computer store looking for a Cat 5e or Cat 6 that were reasonably priced and about 20 feet long. I know I don't need at Cat 6 but I figured since I was putting it in a wall, might as well future proof in case they ever finally decide to bring fiber out here to the boonies.  

Well 20 feet of either was $75 at the Computer Store.  To hell with that.  Went to Home Depot and not only did I get 20 feet of Cat 5e, but the guy attached the connectors so all I had to do was buy some wall plates and snap them into place after i fed the line.  Bonus that I didn't have to buy a punch-down tool and all for the low price of $22.63.

I tied the new wire to the old wire via a velcro strap and pulled it up through the wall. Super simple. Whole thing took less than 10 minutes.  Connected everything and tested.  115MB/s transfer speed.  :):):)   I can't believe I have lived her 5 years and never thought to check all this. I have been puttering along with 11.5MB/s for far too long.

Anyway I'm very happy.  Thank you all for your help in getting me to the point where I could wrap my head around all this.

Glad you got it working, that's the main thing :)

Happy transferring my friend, it's awesome when you can get above 100MB/s average transferring speed for large files... makes life so much easier. Now I'm waiting patiently for 10Gb networking stuff to come down to present prices for Gigabit :D

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

As a bonus, I checked my ISP's website. On DSL we were always limited to 12Mbs.  Well I did a search on my street and found that they had checked the connection at my door to be at 25 Mbs.  I asked if I could get it raised (I would pay for it too!) and they raised it up to 25Mbs without charging me.  So I have 2x my old speed, it is unlimited data and I didn't have to pay extra!!!  Sometimes living in the boonies has advantages.  Only downside is my upload speed is still Under 2Mbs :/   Oh well take the victories when you can.

16 hours ago, brighttail said:

As a bonus, I checked my ISP's website. On DSL we were always limited to 12Mbs.  Well I did a search on my street and found that they had checked the connection at my door to be at 25 Mbs.  I asked if I could get it raised (I would pay for it too!) and they raised it up to 25Mbs without charging me.  So I have 2x my old speed, it is unlimited data and I didn't have to pay extra!!!  Sometimes living in the boonies has advantages.  Only downside is my upload speed is still Under 2Mbs :/   Oh well take the victories when you can.

That's awesome, really paid off :)

Yeah, I feel your pain, I also live somewhat in the countryside and  for years had slow-ish internet. Luckily about 18-24 months ago our telephone exchange got upgraded to fibre and the street cabinets were installed. So it's technically FTTC we get now, can get upto 80Mbps down and 19Mbps upload, but I used to get around 65/19... but I downgraded just last month to get 52Mbps down and 10 upload.. I actually get those speeds too, all the time. The reason I changed is the price was much cheaper (almost half). I would keep the speed if the prices were better obviously, but just to lose around 12 Mbps or so download was worth the change.

I am hoping we get upgraded again in the near future to either FTTH or some kind of workaround like FTTN or whatever it is (fibre to the node?), which should increase the download upload by around 2-3 times the speed... here's hoping :D

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

The speed on downloading isn't a big issue for me.  I have seen 50-100 Mbps and I can live without it or Fiber.  My trade off is I get UNLIMITED bandwidth with no throttling because we live in the boonies and our ISP owns all the lines and is the only game in town, so they don't have to compete with the BELL Canada's or Rogers of the world. :)

The upload speed tho, is a pain.