CPU throttling at ~50ºC?

I have this problem while playing BF1 (usually in Amiens) where my fps go down to ~20 after like an hour or two of playing, so I thought it could be thermal throttling, but when I go to speccy to check my temperatures, the CPU is only to about 40/50 degrees and the GPU to ~60ºC. The only weird thing is that my CPU Fan speed gets up to about 6800RPM while I have never seen it go above 6700RPM. I can get my fps back to normal by ALT-TAB-ing to desktop for like a minute until the temperature goes down a little bit, and this method can work for like 15 minutes and then again the fps drop.

So I thought, is my CPU thermal throttling at 50ºC? or am I wrong? I don't know, I don't think is normal, I'd guess it should thermal throttle when it reaches like 80ºC or so, right? Is there anything I could do?

My specs are:

CPU: AMD FX8320 @3.5 GHz (stock cooler, sorry)

GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 1GB

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Sniper @ 1600MHz DDR3

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0

AMD max temps are a lot lower than Intel (you don't want it higher than 60-65), but 50 shouldn't throttle you just yet o.O

"Rawr XD"

1 minute ago, Aniallation said:

AMD max temps are a lot lower than Intel (you don't want it higher than 60-65), but 50 shouldn't throttle you just yet o.O

That's a good thing to know. Thanks. Do they start to throttle at those temps?

1 minute ago, Zkay said:

It should start to throttle at 60, but not at 50 which is the strange thing

"Rawr XD"

Install a program called AIDA64 and run a stress test and look at the graph. It should tell you when the CPU is throttling. 

2 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

It should start to throttle at 60, but not at 50 which is the strange thing

Do you think it may have reached 60 at some point and that's why it started to throttle even when it was back to 50 or something like that?

34 minutes ago, Zkay said:

Also amd trips are are about 20 higher than reported so the real temp is around 70c. 

6800rpm!?!

Slap some wings in there and it'll fly!

Your GPU will struggle in BF1, as for the CPU what I did for my Intel was downvolt(not downclock) and got drastically better temps 

That's an F in the profile pic

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also amd trips are are about 20 higher than reported so the real temp is around 70c. 

this , use a program like speedfan to see the real temps 

Capture.PNG

see how temp3 is a far more realistic line? this is on a kabini chip ,

on FX speedfan tempts to be the only accurate program for the cpu readout 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

7 hours ago, Froody129 said:

6800rpm!?!

Slap some wings in there and it'll fly!

Your GPU will struggle in BF1, as for the CPU what I did for my Intel was downvolt(not downclock) and got drastically better temps 

My gpu gets the job done (for some reason), and doesn't downvolting affect the performance?

35 minutes ago, Zkay said:

My gpu gets the job done (for some reason), and doesn't downvolting affect the performance?

No, downclocking affects the performance, You get lots of voltage at stock to make sure the CPU will run at its rated clock. So just sending less volts will lower power usage and temps drastically without affecting performance at all (unless you send too little voltage, then it'll crash like an OC with too little voltage) 

That's an F in the profile pic