Computer stuck in an turn on-turn off loop

Sparkling Soap
1 minute ago, Sparkling Soap said:

lol

Do you want a proper build. Yikes man. I'm dying inside right now.

The geek himself.

5 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

lol. i said i was new to building computers. ill take your advice and hope its the power supply thats broken and not the motherboard.

I know his voice is annoying but he explains a lot. Im sorry to inform you but you prolly fucked but your CPU and GPU... and prolly some other parts. Dont skimp out on your PSU and defiantly watch a guide first. Goodluck my PC building brother. 

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

4 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

i thought the stock heatsink/fan that came with the cpu was enough. guess not

i thought the stock heatsink/fan that came with the cpu was enough. guess not

The i5-6600k doesn't come with a stock heatsink/fan. 

12 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

oh my bad, thought cooler meant fan. yeah i dont have a cooler on it.

man I don't even know what to tell you 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

6 minutes ago, samocamo123 said:

The i5-6600k doesn't come with a stock heatsink/fan. 

what do you mean? i can send you a picture of it if you want...

http://imgur.com/Jj849R7 is this not a fan/heatsink?

2 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

That is, but the i5 6600k doesnt come with one. So either you bought the wrong CPU, or somebody sold you an i5 6600k with a cooler that isnt sufficient. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

3 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

No that is. But the 6600K doesnt come with one. Did you buy it after the fact? are you sure its not an i5 6500?

8 minutes ago, Romeo Bodmon said:

No that is. But the 6600K doesnt come with one. Did you buy it after the fact? are you sure its not an i5 6500?

9 minutes ago, samocamo123 said:

Are you sure that is a 6600k, as they do not come with that heatsink/fan. 

9 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

That is, but the i5 6600k doesnt come with one. So either you bought the wrong CPU, or somebody sold you an i5 6600k with a cooler that isnt sufficient. 

i have whatever this is  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117562&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-N82E16819117562&gclid=Cj0KEQiAwMLDBRDCh_r9sMvQ_88BEiQA6zuAQ3Wd9Sh7V-jENV8kW358rI-vcCEguCOkTS4cTJPsdzwaAtJ58P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds i guess thats my bad, i thought it was the 6600k. its just the 6600

5 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

Phew yes it is.

The PSU is rubbish. Get a new one that's not el cheapo

The mobo should have overcurrent protection. Hopefully it's just shutting down to protect itself but eventually it will fry anyway. 

If it did fry then hopefully it didn't take the CPU with it.

I'd swap PSU first. If that doesn't work then mobo. Try not to turn it on if it's shorting

As for getting the parts? A friend maybe or going to a store to get their techs to look at it  ( shop will be expensive)

That's an F in the profile pic

Okay so you just dont have the K varient which means its frequency is unlocked and is overclockign ready, it also doesnt come with a fan. The 6600 however does and should be fine with the stock fan. So good news your CPU is probably  Hopefully fine. 

2 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

That makes more sense,  did you make sure to use thermal compound when you put on the cooler? 

1 minute ago, samocamo123 said:

That makes more sense,  did you make sure to use thermal compound when you put on the cooler? 

it woulda had pre-applied thermal paste on the stock heat sync. So he should be fine there.

2 minutes ago, samocamo123 said:

it was already on the heatsink

5 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Phew yes it is.

The PSU is rubbish. Get a new one that's not el cheapo

The mobo should have overcurrent protection. Hopefully it's just shutting down to protect itself but eventually it will fry anyway. 

If it did fry then hopefully it didn't take the CPU with it.

I'd swap PSU first. If that doesn't work then mobo. Try not to turn it on if it's shorting

As for getting the parts? A friend maybe or going to a store to get their techs to look at it  ( shop will be expensive)

i have an prebuilt hp computer that i used before i got my real pc. could I just take out the PSU from that and test it with mine? or is it not really that safe? also can you recommend me a power supply? i was looking at either this https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-220-GS-0650-V1/dp/B00UVN20AO/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483776600&sr=1-3&keywords=seasonic+650w or https://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-650-Watt-CrossFire-Certified-SSR-650RM/dp/B00918N4A0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483776600&sr=1-1&keywords=seasonic+650w

Recently my computer has been stuck in an infinite loop of turning on for 10 seconds and turning off. It is failing to POST but I have no idea if its the motherboard or power supply. Is there any way to tell? I don't hear any beeps from my motherboard because it doesn't have a speaker. At first it wouldn't even boot at all, only for a split second and then it turns off but the power light still stays on. I then removed all the ram from the slots and it started booting but after a couple seconds my GPU shorted and it started smoking. Now it's stuck in the loop of booting for 10 seconds and turning off, with or without the ram installed. I don't have a graphics card in my computer anymore but I assume that isn't the reason why it isn't posting. I have reset the CMOS and replaced the battery, still no luck. Is there any way of telling if it's the PSU or motherboard without just buying them and trying them? If so, which is the most likely to fail? I also have an old hp desktop that I can maybe take the power supply/motherboard out and test it with my system. Is it safe doing this? I feel like putting that power supply in my computer would break it even more. Could it also be the ram that is at fault? Since when I took out the ram from the computer the first time it booted (the same time my GPU shorted). But now it doesn't make a difference if the ram is in the computer, it does the same loop if the ram was out of the computer.. Thanks.

CPU : Intel I5 6600
GPU (the one that broke) :Gigabyte windforce 770
MOTHERBOARD : Gigabyte z170xp-sli
Power supply : Corsair 600 watt bronze 80+

my best bet is that it is the power supply, are you able to swap it? Also, your mobo should have come with a small speaker that is plugged into the motherboard are you sure you don't have it.

2 minutes ago, jackson-taliana said:

my best bet is that it is the power supply, are you able to swap it? Also, your mobo should have come with a small speaker that is plugged into the motherboard are you sure you don't have it.

4 minutes ago, jackson-taliana said:

I have a gigabyte z170xp-sli and as far as I know it doesn't have a speaker on it unfortunately. is it advisable to take out the power supply of my old hp prebuilt desktop and try to connect it with my motherboard? or will it just break everything, im pretty sure its some generic cheap brand so im kinda scared to do it.

what I would do is take out everything and build your system and basicly build your rig on your motherboard box like Linus does in his builds do not include anything you don't need like HDD an SSD just your basic mobo, PSU, CPU. test if that works.

7 minutes ago, jackson-taliana said:

what I would do is take out everything and build your system and basicly build your rig on your motherboard box like Linus does in his builds do not include anything you don't need like HDD an SSD just your basic mobo, PSU, CPU. test if that works.

so you dont recommend trying to test it with the psu from my old hp prebuilt desktop? also what other surface can I use other than the motherboard box, i dont have it anymore

When I first built my computer, the ram clicked into my motherboard. Now whenever I put it in again, it makes a fuzzy noise and it doesn't click. It also doesn't stay inside that well, it wiggles around. Is this a problem with my ram or my motherboard? And is this possibly why my computer wont post?

has the system not posted from the start?

and

are you placing the ram in straight, making sure its not crooked?

and

are you getting a post code or is it just not doing anything?