Computer stuck in an turn on-turn off loop

Sparkling Soap

Recently my computer has been having a lot of problems. First my gpu exploded (not really, just sparked and started smoking) and I don't know why that happened (an answer would be nice). And now my computer is just stuck in a loop of turning on for a couple seconds, turning off, and on again. I suspect that the gpu fried the motherboard when it exploded but is there really any way of telling? Could the power supply be the cause of the gpu dying and do I need to replace it too? Also if the gpu fried the motherboard, could it have fried the cpu as well? 

Gigabyte windforce 770

Gigabyte z170xp-sli

Corsair 600 watt 80+ bronze psu

i5 6600k

15 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

Gigabyte windforce 770

So I googled your Graphics card with the word "Overheating" and I found a ton of results about the 770 overheating. So it might be that the card has a overheating problem.

21 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

suspect that the gpu fried the motherboard when it exploded but is there really any way of telling?

Try Running A POST test to see if any components are damaged. You can buy a post tester to check for damaged components here https://www.amazon.com/USB-Diagnostic-POST-Test-Card/dp/B003SLVES0     

2 hours ago, Nyrader said:

So I googled your Graphics card with the word "Overheating" and I found a ton of results about the 770 overheating. So it might be that the card has a overheating problem.

Try Running A POST test to see if any components are damaged. You can buy a post tester to check for damaged components here https://www.amazon.com/USB-Diagnostic-POST-Test-Card/dp/B003SLVES0     

overheating wasnt the issue. i turn it on, and its starts sparking/smoking after 12+ hours of not using it. 

Recently my computer is having alot of issues. At first it wouldn't POST (whenever I press power button it just lights up and fans work for a split second then stop). I then took the ram out and tested if it would work, and it did. But then after a couple seconds my GPU sparked and started smoking. My computer is now stuck in an infinite loop of turning on and off, although now it actually boots for a couple seconds now instead of for a split second. Is it supposed to do that when you don't have a GPU connected? It does the same thing (loop) even if the ram is inside. Also, is there any way of telling why it happened and what I need to replace? Because I already have a new graphics card but I am scared to put it back in because maybe the same thing would happen again. Is the problem with the motherboard or power supply? Could my cpu also be damaged? I just want to figure out 2 things. What caused the GPU to spark/smoke and what is causing my system to be stuck in an infinite loop and is there any way to fix it?

Here is what it looks like 

http://imgur.com/P8nvrR5

MOTHERBOARD : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI

GPU : Gigabyte Windforce 770

CPU : I5 6600K

PSU : Corsair 600 watt Bronze 80+

Damn that sucks. Its really hard to diagnose this problem without a second system to test parts in but likely your GPU has dust on it that caused a short. Does the system post without the external GPU?

STOP BOOTING IF THERE'S A SHORT!.

Is it by chance a CX600 power supply? :/

That's an F in the profile pic

4 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Damn that sucks. Its really hard to diagnose this problem without a second system to test parts in but likely your GPU has dust on it that caused a short. Does the system post without the external GPU?

yeah it still posts. the thing is before the gpu blew up, my pc only booted for a split second. I then removed the ram sticks which caused it to boot but seconds later the gpu started smoking and sparking. Now that the gpu is out, it turns on for a 10 seconds then off in a loop. even with the ram in it or out of it. could it be that spark shorted something else in my computer?

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

STOP BOOTING IF THERE'S A SHORT!.

Is it by chance a CX600 power supply? :/

yeah thats the power supply, is it bad? the thing is I already booted it 20+ times trying different combinations by putting ram in different slots because I thought that was the problem. is my whole system fried now?

4 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

yeah it still posts. the thing is before the gpu blew up, my pc only booted for a split second. I then removed the ram sticks which caused it to boot but seconds later the gpu started smoking and sparking. Now that the gpu is out, it turns on for a 10 seconds then off in a loop. even with the ram in it or out of it. could it be that spark shorted something else in my computer?

You start off by saying it does PowerOnSelfTest but then you go on to explain it still doesn't? Which is it? 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

4 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

You start off by saying it does PowerOnSelfTest but then you go on to explain it still doesn't? Which is it? 

yeah my bad on that part. i thought when your computer posts it means it doesn't boot, I got it mixed. what i mean to say is that it fails to post. im just curious why did it go from just turning on for a split second to turning on for 10 seconds and turning off in a loop? sorry if im sounding stupid im really new to computers, got mine only a couple months ago

4 minutes ago, Sparkling Soap said:

yeah thats the power supply, is it bad? the thing is I already booted it 20+ times trying different combinations by putting ram in different slots because I thought that was the problem. is my whole system fried now?

The PSU is made for office PC's and has bad parts in it. The CX series is infamous for blowing things up. 

I very much much hope it isn't fried. Hopefully it's a dusty GPU shorting out. However you said without the GPU it boots for a few seconds and then goes off again. Either it fried the mobo or the PSU is dead.

NOTE: I'm not an expert on this. I'm only saying what I think might be wrong from my limited experience. It's very possible I'm wrong

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

do you have a cpu cooler.

yeah the stock one

1 minute ago, Sparkling Soap said:

yeah the stock one

i5 6600k does not have a stock cooler. 

coul

3 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

The PSU is made for office PC's and has bad parts in it. The CX series is infamous for blowing things up. 

I very much much hope it isn't fried. Hopefully it's a dusty GPU shorting out. However you said without the GPU it boots for a few seconds and then goes off again. Either it fried the mobo or the PSU is dead.

NOTE: I'm not an expert on this. I'm only saying what I think might be wrong from my limited experience. It's very possible I'm wrong

could it be the ram thats broken too? i heard somewhere that computers dont boot if they dont have ram inside of them, maybe my ram doesn't work or something? because like I said my computer started to boot after I removed the ram but then the gpu got fried

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

i5 6600k does not have a stock cooler. 

oh my bad, thought cooler meant fan. yeah i dont have a cooler on it.

oh boy.

Just now, Sparkling Soap said:

oh my bad, thought cooler meant fan. yeah i dont have a cooler on it.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Ok well one you have a shitty power supply. Recommend something more like this http://www.corsair.com/en/rm-series-rm550-80-plus-gold-certified-power-supply

And your Graphics card is probably done if its basically melted on one of the components.

The RM series isn't as great as people make it out to be, RMi or RMx is much better. 

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

The RM series isn't as great as people make it out to be, RMi or RMx is much better. 

true but if your on a tight budget then its better then the CX series

The geek himself.

oh boy.

lol. i said i was new to building computers. ill take your advice and hope its the power supply thats broken and not the motherboard.

did you um, look at a guide before building a pc?

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Sparkling Soap said:

lol. i said i was new to building computers. ill take your advice and hope its the power supply thats broken and not the motherboard.

Most likely, you killed your cpu and gpu, and maybe the mobo,ram, and psu.

did you um, look at a guide before building a pc?

2 minutes ago, samocamo123 said:

Most likely, you killed your cpu and gpu, and maybe the mobo,ram, and psu.

lol