Random disconnects, defective router or modem?

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my internet connection and I was hoping someone on the forums is able to help me out.

My internet used to be complete garbage (under 1Mbit up and down, 100 ping was normal and continuous random spikes to 1000+) so I switched ISPs, got a new modem and everything regarding the speeds seems fine now.

But unfortunately another problem arose, which is these random disconnects that I'm having. I'm just playing a game or doing some work on my PC and my entire connection just disappears (wired and wireless). My PC gives the yellow warning sign. I unplug the power from my router, wait for ~20 sec and plug it back in, and everything seems to work fine again. Until it happens again, sometimes up to a couple of hours later. 

My setup regarding ethernet is as follows: Downstairs is the ISPs modem, which is wired directly to my router upstairs, which is connected to my desktop PC through ethernet cable as well. 

My own router is an Asus RT-N16, which I'm using as a switch and as a wifi source (the modem downstairs provides wifi too, but the signal isn't strong enough to reach all the way upstairs).

I used the exact same setup at my old place, where it worked perfectly. The only differences were the ISP and the modem they provided, so maybe that's the issue here? The modem I have now is more advanced, so maybe some extra functions are causing problems.

I tried plugging my laptop directly into the modem at the moment of a disconnect, which does give me a connection, so the modem seems fine. 

However, on the day I'm typing this, another disconnect occurred and I plugged the cable directly into my desktop, which still said there was no connection, so maybe it is the modem or the ISP after all.

I'm a student living with 4 other students in the same house, so I'd like to avoid messing with the modem too much if it influences their connections as well. 

Does anyone have any suggestion on what to do here? Thank you in advance.