AMD Zen

AMD zen  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are you moving to Zen?

• Moving to Zen
    • Staying with Intel
    • ARM Cpu's are too good

So, we are close to zen being released! 

I'm interested if anyone is going to jump ship from intel to zen if its competitive (There should be a poll) 

My two cents on this is that if any zen chip beats my current CPU (I7 4790K) at a good price I will seriously consider the jump 

How can you decide when full details are not even released. 

Magical Pineapples

3 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

How can you decide when full details are not even released. 

When its get released (The specs) 

Already getting a 2670 v2 shipped in from china, will have to pass with zen. Vega still looks interesting though, hope prices for it don't suck as per normal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Not going back to AMD ever again. After terrible experience with their FX series, I have lost all confidence in AMD in the CPU department. Their GPU's aren't too good either as they run hot, are noisy, and not comparable to Nvidia's cards in performance. 

19 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

When its get released (The specs) 

How would i decide now when the spec is not even released. 

Magical Pineapples

5 minutes ago, Omie said:

Not going back to AMD ever again. After terrible experience with their FX series, I have lost all confidence in AMD in the CPU department. Their GPU's aren't too good either as they run hot, are noisy, and not comparable to Nvidia's cards in performance. 

Are you being serious, or just baiting?

5 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Lets talk about price before we talk about specs...  I personally expect the comparable Ryzen i7-6900k part to be around $800.  Not something super cheap like people are talking.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Are you being serious, or just baiting?

I'm serious.

I just don't see AMD coming out on top over Intel/Nvidia. You can even take a look at their history with their CPU/GPU releases. I feel like AMD will always be the entry level choice for non-serious gamers whereas Intel/Nvidia will be the go-to for the full PC gaming experience, IMO.

7 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

When the specs are released then you can decide. 'People want the 1080ti' they know nothing about them specs but people want it 

45 minutes ago, Omie said:

I'm serious.

I just don't see AMD coming out on top over Intel/Nvidia. You can even take a look at their history with their CPU/GPU releases. I feel like AMD will always be the entry level choice for non-serious gamers whereas Intel/Nvidia will be the go-to for the full PC gaming experience, IMO.

And you base that on absolutely fucking nothing. Right, got it. 

So since the Pentium 4 was shit, I guess everything Intel has been bringing out is utter garbage. There is no way they can suddenly start making good products.

43 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

When the specs are released then you can decide. 'People want the 1080ti' they know nothing about them specs but people want it 

This is true, people have already decided what to buy before it's released these days. And defend their decision afterwards with huge cognitive dissonance.

I'm considering it, 4670K is still OK, but in some games I'm getting CPU bottlenecks even at 4.3ghz. Luckily, I don't need it anymore for Star Citizen since I'm refunding that game.

10 minutes ago, Majestic said:

And you base that on absolutely fucking nothing. Right, got it. 

So since the Pentium 4 was shit, I guess everything Intel has been bringing out is utter garbage. There is no way they can suddenly start making good products.

This is true, people have already decided what to buy before they buy it these days. And defend their decision afterwards with huge cognitive dissonance.

I'm considering it, 4670K is still OK, but in some games I'm getting CPU bottlenecks even at 4.3ghz. Luckily, I don't need it anymore for Star Citizen since I'm refunding that game.

Lol just go look at benchmarks, the numbers don't lie. Every new lineup they release as competition against Intel/Nvidia has fallen flat in terms of performance. I'm not going to be surprised when Zen is still beaten out by the i5/i7 series.

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

Lol just go look at benchmarks, the numbers don't lie. Every new lineup they release as competition against Intel/Nvidia has fallen flat in terms of performance. I'm not going to be surprised when Zen is still beaten out by the i5/i7 series.

AMD FX chips were terrible, but how come you're so sure Ryzen can't be competitive based on earlier results. They could've struck gold somehow, how the fuck do you know. As I said, up until Conroe AMD was much better. The Pentium 4 was terrible compared to the Athlons.

And my GTX 980 wants to talk to you about thermals.

If Zen 8 core CPU will perform like i7 6900k, but will only cost 300$ ... yeah I will go with Zen for sure xD 

But we don't know how will those Zen CPUs compare to Intel in real usage and other benchmarks than what we were showed. We also don't know how well can we overclock Zen and how it will scale.

We don't know anything about Zen.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

33 minutes ago, Omie said:

soo an true 

Dont have a new build planned in the near future, also it would depend who has the better performer

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

11 minutes ago, Majestic said:

AMD FX chips were terrible, but how come you're so sure Ryzen can't be competitive based on earlier results. They could've struck gold somehow, how the fuck do you know. As I said, up until Conroe AMD was much better. The Pentium 4 was terrible compared to the Athlons.

And my GTX 980 wants to talk to you about thermals.

They could've struck gold, but based on their long history of failures when competing against Intel/Nvidia, I highly doubt it. 

While it is true that AMD was better than Intel at one point, that was a long time ago and Intel has been in the lead by a significant amount ever since.

And just go look at AMD's R9 series, hotter and much noiser than Nvidia's GTX series.

6 minutes ago, Omie said:

And just go look at AMD's R9 series, hotter and much noiser than Nvidia's GTX series.

And Tesla or Fermi were any better in terms of efficiency you say?

This joke was based on something, dude.

Spoiler

amd_vs__nvidia_by_spritanium-d3394jt.jpg

59 minutes ago, Omie said:

Their GPU's aren't too good either as they run hot, are noisy, and not comparable to Nvidia's cards in performance. 

Did you make that up or what?

Compare a 480 to a 1060 (as they're the most recent comparable cards) and they both run just as good performance wise. Hot and noisy? there's hot and noisy 1060's out there when they get a crap aftermarket heatsink + fans put on them, thats down to the aftermarket companies, not AMD.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

They could've struck gold, but based on their long history of failures when competing against Intel/Nvidia, I highly doubt it. 

While it is true that AMD was better than Intel at one point, that was a long time ago and Intel has been in the lead by a significant amount ever since.

Ryzen is developed by Jim Keller, the guy behind the athlon 64, which destroyed the pentium 4 IIRC. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I often wonder if people actually understand what goes into designing a CPU. Intel had a good architecture and have kept improving it. AMD made a giant goof with an architecture, and instead of trying to fix it, they started from scratch. That's not a quick process. I recently switched from Intel to an FX machine, not for performance, but because I needed a new machine and the FX gave me the best performance for what I wanted to spend.

99% of computer users don't care who is ahead of who in whatever metric, they just want a machine that does the job whilst spending as little as possible. Even given the FX's poor single core performance compared against Intel's lowest end offerings, having 3 or 4 times as many of those low performing cores makes for a faster machine overall.

Anyone who makes that choice now is doing it with a biased opinion, or is just a fanboy. We don't have enough information to make that decision, we need to wait for the benchmarks.

My current i5 is more then enough for any daily task or gaming but I also have fx-6350 workstation that I use for scilab, hyper-v and some other task that I've been irking to update, as its too old and just want something new, as long as AMD does not pull Intel by removing ecc ram support, I'm updating it to 8core+ Zen part. If IPC happens to be any good or close to where its projected, I might update personal rig with cheap 4 or 6 core version.

9 hours ago, Omie said:

Very funny, my 290x wants to have a word with you. OCed to 1100/1500 for stable 24/7 and the hottest it gets is 72c when I run msi kombustor with fan at 65%, in games it always around 62-65C and fan rarely goes over 45%. Anyone who had trixx cards knows at 45% fan its dead quite gpu. Don't forget sheer amount of raw compute and opencl performance with 1/8 fp64 and not some bricked 1/32, oh and I still can play any game on high or better at 1440p

I might change over to Ryzen if it's as good as the 6900K but I'm hesitant cuz all the motherbaords announced for it are ehhh

Think I'm going to stay Intel! I mean AMD still failed to give anymore details than that of 2 weeks ago news. They need to kill the hype train and get those chips out quick!