i5 2500k 4.2 oc

Hello everyone!

I built my pc 2-3 weeks ago and decided to overclock it yesterday. I got it up to 4.2ghz on 1.280v but the temperatures seem a bit off.

What i got after 2h of prime95 blend is 70 degrees on one of the cores, idle temps about 35. When i play games the temps go at about 65 degrees.The cooler is Hyper 212 Evo, and the temps dont seem to be normal. The only thing that i can think of is if the thermal paste is bad. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help in advance and Happy New Year!!! :)

what do you mean temps are not normal?

its lower in games becase your CPU usally doesn't run 100%  unless your settings require it too 

and it was 70 on only one core? what is the highest temp of any core? 

2 minutes ago, Jamtoad said:

what do you mean temps are not normal?

its lower in games becase your CPU usally doesn't run 100%  unless your settings require it too 

I think that the temps on max are a bit off because i've read posts and people get around 60 degrees on max load on similar setup/oc

64, 68, 70, 68 and package 70

1 hour ago, iMiR said:

I think that the temps on max are a bit off because i've read posts and people get around 60 degrees on max load on similar setup/oc

well all chips are different, you cant expect to get the same temps as others. things like room temp and cooler you're using, how well the coolers contact is, how good you chip is, how good your airflow is. all chips even the same kind of cpu can perform different. the silicon lottery my friend 

1 minute ago, Jamtoad said:

well all chips are different, you cant expect to get the same temps as others. things like room temp and cooler you're using, how well the coolers contact is, how good you chip is, how good your airflow is. all chips even the same kind of cpu can perform different. the silicon lottery my friend 

Do you recommend to oc up to 4.5?

I think 70C while only running 1.280v is a little high. You could try removing the old thermal paste, reapplying new thermal paste, and re-seating the 212 Evo.

Also, that's a small overclock, both in terms of clock-speed, and voltage. People have been running those CPUs at 1.42v - 1.45v 24/7 for years, without issue (though they keep the max temperatures in check). I ran my 2500K at 4.6 Ghz and 1.336v. I'm now running a 2600k at 4.6 Ghz with max voltage peaks of 1.416v.

I'd replace the thermal paste and re-seat the cooler, and then see what overclock you can get at 1.35v - 1.38v, and keep an eye on the temperature.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, iMiR said:

Do you recommend to oc up to 4.5?

i say you OC as far as your temps and cpu let you

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I think 70C while only running 1.280v is a little high. You could try removing the old thermal paste, reapplying new thermal paste, and re-seating the 212 Evo.

Also, that's a small overclock, both in terms of clock-speed, and voltage. People have been running those CPUs at 1.42v - 1.45v 24/7 for years, without issue (though they keep the max temperatures in check). I'd replace the thermal paste and re-seat the cooler, and then see what overclock you can get at 1.35v - 1.38v, and keep an eye on the temperature.

Thank you, i think thats the best thing to do for now.