HTC unveils new Vive strap with built-in audio + other accessories

Today at CES, HTC showed off their new replacement strap for the HTC Vive. The new strap, called the "Deluxe Audio Strap," seemingly mimics the (imo) superior Oculus Rift strap and also provides built-in audio. It has an adjustable dial in the back to fine tune the fitting. The lack of proper built-in audio at launch was the reason behind a lot of the Vive's criticism. 

No price has been announced yet, but it will be available in the second quarter of this year. 

Featuring interior padding, a new 3-in-1 cable path and an easy-to-adjust sizing dial, the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap makes it easier to put on and take off the headset by effortlessly adapting to any wearer. Integrated on-ear headphones provide superior sound with height and angle adjustments for maximum comfort and convenience.

Vive_Deluxe_Audio_Strap___Side.jpg

In addition to the new strap, HTC has also unveiled the new Vive Tracker. The Vive Tracker is an accessory that can be attached to any real world object to be tracked in virtual space. This allows for 3rd party objects to easily be added in the game. For example, a tennis racket or a gun model. 

HTC also unveiled the Vive Tracker, a tiny device that'll let developers track just about any object in virtual reality. You can think of it as a miniaturized version of the Vive touch controller's top portion, which is where most of the motion tracking magic happens. HTC says it's created a "simple connection" for developers to integrate the Tracker into their accessories. And at under three ounces, it won't add much heft either.

s.aolcdn.jpg

As a VR developer myself, this is incredibly exciting news. We get a more comfortable device and open the door to many accessories. I've already reached out to Valve for a dev kit, so follow me if you'd like to see an unboxing and review in the near future. 

Sources:

http://www.polygon.com/virtual-reality/2017/1/4/14170560/htc-vive-deluxe-audio-strap

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/04/htc-vive-tracker-wireless/

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Looks like I'll be buying this when it comes out. Though I will probably still use the 5.1 surround system.

Edit: This is, once again, confirming that this forum makes me want to buy everything that comes out... At least I paid my vet insurance for the year...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Bringing gun controller back out eh?

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

that strap, in other words it should make comfort closer to what Oculus is.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Meanwhile I'm waiting for the VR hype to die and VR to die so that we can get back to what matters in gaming........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Meanwhile I'm waiting for the VR hype to die and VR to die so that we can get back to what matters in gaming........

becase having VR means that every other game dev and hardware devs have stopped developing stuff that doesn't revolve around VR? 

someone is salty that they are too poor to afford VR other then google cardboard

I have no issues with the current vive strap but ill get this forsure just to see how it is. an improvement is an improvement, not so hot about the built in headphones tho

2 minutes ago, Jamtoad said:

becase having VR means that every other game dev and hardware devs have stopped developing stuff that doesn't revolve around VR? 

someone is salty that they are too poor to afford VR other then google cardboard

I find no practicality in it. There's no way that VR will ever be mainstream and so i'd rather it die quickly so that everybody can move on...

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I find no practicality in it. There's no way that VR will ever be mainstream and so i'd rather it die quickly so that everybody can move on...

M8, have you ever tried it? For gaming, there's another level of immersion. 

There are plenty of practical uses of vr. Don't make me bust out my college research papers. It's been used for everything from assisting surgeries to cognitive therapy. 

Judging by all my buddies enjoying the fucking hell out of their PSVR, I'd say it's becoming pretty mainstream. Price will drop, quality will get better. I'm not saying 100%, because I can't see into the future, but you can't say it'll die for sure either.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

you remind me of someone named Adolf Hitler, he didnt like jews so he wanted them all to die.

you dont like vr so you want vr to die,

the world does not revolve around you buddy, and who knows what vr can lead to in the future, maybe it can be used for more then just video games. just because you cant afford it doesn't mean it should just die off. all other technology in gaming is still advancing, i rarely hear about VR on a day to day basis even with how many tech forums I browse. most don't even have VR specific subforums becase its not a very popular topic.

love to see that people like you exist in this world.

I want something like the oculus rift dk 2 but with higher resolution displays. that's the perfect vr for me.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

What if it does?

Disclaimers

I  don't own either for reasons

The same was said for self driving cars and now almost every car comes with a  myriad of features

3 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

There are plenty of practical uses of vr. Don't make me bust out my college research papers. It's been used for everything from assisting surgeries to cognitive therapy. 

Judging by all my buddies enjoying the fucking hell out of their PSVR, I'd say it's becoming pretty mainstream. Price will drop, quality will get better. I'm not saying 100%, because I can't see into the future. You can't say it'll die for sure either man.

I  am waiting for gen,2/3  of VR  headsets

1 hour ago, christianled59 said:

Judging by all my buddies enjoying the fucking hell out of their PSVR, I'd say it's becoming pretty mainstream. Price will drop, quality will get better. I'm not saying 100%, because I can't see into the future. You can't say it'll die for sure either man.

he is just salty and has zero idea what he is talking about.

Just now, Scitesh said:

I  am waiting for gen,2/3  of VR  headsets

I don't blame you one bit. Rumors of the second Vive sound pretty damn good and current headsets leave a little something to be desired (not that they're bad, but you get what I mean). At least you aren't calling VR "dead". It's anything but. 

2 hours ago, christianled59 said:

At this rate I never will. The headsets are way too expensive. The GPUs required are always needing more horsepower to power these panels in the headsets.

And I don't have the space for VR. literally don't have the space and probably never will unless I become rich when I'm older.

I have no difficulties with understanding and seeing something like a HoloLens being used. Because it works, it has an ecosystem of apps which will work with it, it is a great piece of tech that I could use hours on end without having to feel like i'm using half of my house to facilitate a $800+ USD toy.

Judging by all my buddies enjoying the fucking hell out of their PSVR, I'd say it's becoming pretty mainstream.

I don't know a single IRL person who has bought a VR headset or accessory. I don't plan on buying one anytime soon and I don't think anybody else will.

Price will drop

If your claim of it becoming mainstream is ever to happen, it sure as hell needs a price drop. Like drop the price in half and I MIGHT consider it. Drop it in half again and I might actually buy it.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

The GPUs required are always needing more horsepower to power these panels in the headsets.

Current requirements aren't that bad with a mid range card being adequate.

And I don't have the space for VR. literally don't have the space and probably never will unless I become rich when I'm older.

This is a major problem for room scale, but fixed spot sitting/standing should be manageable.

I note you're in HK, which is possibly one of the most densely populated places so I can well imagine that being more of a problem there. 

If your claim of it becoming mainstream is ever to happen, it sure as hell needs a price drop. Like drop the price in half and I MIGHT consider it. Drop it in half again and I might actually buy it.

Might not be for high end gaming, but look at MS' announcement earlier this year on low cost VR.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Lenovo's saying their VR headset will cost between $300 and $350.

Of course, their VR headset is likely going to be compromised in a few areas, particularly when it comes to tracked controllers. But it's obvious that prices are going to drop over time.

I have no difficulties with understanding and seeing something like a HoloLens being used. Because it works, it has an ecosystem of apps which will work with it, it is a great piece of tech that I could use hours on end without having to feel like i'm using half of my house to facilitate a $800+ USD toy.

That's ridiculous. The HoloLens content library is pitiful compared to VR headsets, either on PC, console or mobile.

At this rate I never will. The headsets are way too expensive. The GPUs required are always needing more horsepower to power these panels in the headsets.

You don't need any space for VR, you walnut.

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

That's ridiculous. The HoloLens content library is pitiful compared to VR headsets, either on PC, console or mobile.

what did you expect from the resident MS fanboy? in fact i'm surprised, i would have thought he would have just bashed Vive and cheered for oculus considering their partnership with MS

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This is very interesting. After seeing this yesterday i will now be choosing between the kick starter one or HTC's.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't know a single IRL person who has bought a VR headset or accessory. I don't plan on buying one anytime soon and I don't think anybody else will.

PSVR is cheap and immersive. So I don't really see the excuse. You can buy a used ps4 for less than $200.

One of my friends is quite poor and has a super tiny house. He has his psvr in his bedroom (his bedroom is the size of my bloody bathroom) and it works. 

(also, why are you only okay with paying a quarter the price? People are find dishing out $600+ on a high res monitor, when I'm pretty sure vr brings more to the plate at a similar price).

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

/r/im14andthisisdeep

25 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

PSVR is cheap and immersive. So I don't really see the excuse. You can buy a used ps4 for less than $200.

One of my friends is quite poor and has a super tiny house. He has his psvr in his bedroom (his bedroom is the size of my bloody bathroom) and it works. 

(also, why are you only okay with paying a quarter the price? People are find dishing out $600+ on a high res monitor, when I'm pretty sure vr brings more to the plate at a similar price).

Have you tried the PSVR? I'm wondering about the framerate and pixel density.

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Have you tried the PSVR? I'm wondering about the framerate and pixel density.

Yeah. Framerate is fine in games that are actually optimized. For example, first thing I tried was the Resident Evil VR demo and I got sick. It was bloody terrible. I'm surprised a AAA studio made that shit. 

Every other game I played though was perfectly fine. Framerate isn't noticeably bad, but you can notice if you try. Same with resolution. If the game is good, you really won't notice much of a difference from the Vive or Rift. 

FOV is slightly lower, but not significant. 

It's also by far the most comfortable headset imo. The Vive and rift weight down on your cheeks. The PSVR has this plastic band that distributes weight over your entire head. (which is why im excited for this new vive strap, because it looks like it works just like the PSVR strap)

The controllers aren't good, but they aren't unusable. Didn't break my immersion any. 

Just now, christianled59 said:

Every other game I played though was perfectly fine. Framerate isn't noticeably bad, but you can notice if you try. Same with resolution.

That's how I feel about the Pixel XL and Daydream currently. I thought I was going to be using it a lot for videos but the damned pixel density ruins the immersion for me. I should have just stuck with my 5X for another year and just bought a Vive or Rift.

Just now, Kloaked said:

That's how I feel about the Pixel XL and Daydream currently. I thought I was going to be using it a lot for videos but the damned pixel density ruins the immersion for me. I should have just stuck with my 5X for another year and just bought a Vive or Rift.

Yeah. I've used the gear vr and I cannot stand it. I stand with Luke when it comes to VR. The PSVR is bloody great for its price and I would recommend that over the Vive or Oculus if someone already has a ps4.