Fans keep wavering on Asus Z170-a

Hello ever since I got my new PC build it's been nothing but nightmares for me so far and now the fans are going crazy...

I've looked it up and apparently I could be link to Q-fan control and that disabling it help, but when I do that my CPU fan goes into overdrive (+1000rpm) and there is no way to bring it down.

So at the moment my computer just ramps up to crazy speed for about 2-5 secs at a time really loud then lowers back down to near silence again, do any of you helpful people know how to fix this so my fans stay a constant speed without randomly raising the RPM until needed?

Run the Asus Ai Suite and run the fan optimization wizard or adjust the fan profile.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I had the same problem with the same motherboard when stress testing, but as it doesn't do that in normal workloads I didn't bother too much, anyway it's due to the fan curve; in the default settings they go at 100% speed at 70*C or so, and they spin less at 50*C for example, so, if during a benchmark the CPU temp goes up at 70*C the fans will start to spin at max and this will reduce the CPU temperature to let's say 50, so the system will lower the fan speed, but this will increase the CPU temperature again along with vents aaaaaand.. so on, to fix it you can modify the fan curve.

HARDWARE:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.6GHz

Mobo: Asus Z170-A

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac AMP!

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB

HDD: Segate 1TB

Power Supply: Enermax MaxPro 600W

Case: NZXT H440 V2

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z

PERIPHERALS:

Monitors: LG 27UD59 and Asus MG248Q

Keyboard: Cooler Master Trigger Z

Mouse: Logitech MX Master

Speakers: Mackie CR4

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and Audio Technica ATH-M50X

Edited by GavinSJ03

1 minute ago, GavinSJ03 said:

gat a fan controller

I don't really want to get an external controller if I don't have to as my case doesn't have optical bays

22 minutes ago, Pixelicious said:

Hello ever since I got my new PC build it's been nothing but nightmares for me so far and now the fans are going crazy...

I've looked it up and apparently I could be link to Q-fan control and that disabling it help, but when I do that my CPU fan goes into overdrive (+1000rpm) and there is no way to bring it down.

So at the moment my computer just ramps up to crazy speed for about 2-5 secs at a time really loud then lowers back down to near silence again, do any of you helpful people know how to fix this so my fans stay a constant speed without randomly raising the RPM until needed?

Should be able to change your fan spin up and spin down times, that way you fans won't immediately change their speed with temp flux. You can also change your fan curve so that the speed is a same at multi temp ranges.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

1 minute ago, Ryoku said:

Should be able to change your fan spin up and spin down times, that way you fans won't immediately change their speed with temp flux. You can also change your fan curve so that the speed is a same at multi temp ranges.

Thanks for the description but i'm new to all the bios fan stuff so I didn't understand much of that but I know my fan spin up and spin down is set to 0ms or the lowest :\ sorry xD

2 minutes ago, Pixelicious said:

Thanks for the description but i'm new to all the bios fan stuff so I didn't understand much of that but I know my fan spin up and spin down is set to 0ms or the lowest :\ sorry xD

yea that means they are set to zero so they will change right away without an delay.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Just now, Ryoku said:

yea that means they are set to zero so they will change right away without an delay.

So what is the method to stop that happening at all? I have set a custom curve with both DC and PWM but still wavers? I use 3 pins just in case that's any help

What are the specifications for this new system? (CPU and mainboard). What is probably happening is that you've set a minimum and maximum speed, at a given temperature.

But there is no hysteresis or fan-delta/sec set (those features usually don't exist in BIOS'es because they're shit).

So the CPU has a brief moment of load, gets a spike in temperature and your fans try to follow the rampfunction. So everytime the CPU loads, the BIOS checks it's table and sets the fans to according speed. Causing your weird fluctuations.

You can't really fix this if your CPU temperature just has a high dynamic behaviour. Like with stock (non-delidded) Haswell or later chips. You need to set an advanced profile with something like speedfan.

EDIT: Oh you have a delay function, well that is something you can counteract brief periods of load. It is probably some moving average filter. Set that to a few seconds atleast.

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

What are the specifications for this new system? (CPU and mainboard). What is probably happening is that you've set a minimum and maximum speed, at a given temperature.

But there is no hysteresis or fan-delta/sec set (those features usually don't exist in BIOS'es because they're shit).

So the CPU has a brief moment of load, gets a spike in temperature and your fans try to follow the rampfunction. So everytime the CPU loads, the BIOS checks it's table and sets the fans to according speed. Causing your weird fluctuations.

You can't really fix this if your CPU temperature just has a high dynamic behaviour. Like with stock (non-delidded) Haswell or later chips. You need to set an advanced profile with something like speedfan.

I have a i7-6700k paired with a ASUS Z170-A with a Cryorig Ultimate Cooler and the case fans are just stock that came with the fractal design define S w/ window

1 minute ago, Pixelicious said:

I have a i7-6700k paired with a ASUS Z170-A with a Cryorig Ultimate Cooler

As I suspected, Haswell or later. Well ASUS is known for having agressive BIOS'es. What are the voltages during load? (check with CPU-Z)

5 minutes ago, Pixelicious said:

So what is the method to stop that happening at all? I have set a custom curve with both DC and PWM but still wavers? I use 3 pins just in case that's any help

This is what i use and its works for me to a certain degree.

8F7ViIE.png

6 minutes ago, Majestic said:

As I suspected, Haswell or later. Well ASUS is known for having agressive BIOS'es. What are the voltages during load? (check with CPU-Z)

I have just installed AI Suite some I'm going to play around a little to see if I can stop it.

With a game running in the background and web browsing the voltage is about 0.700 to 0.850 V

14 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

This is what i use and its works for me to a certain degree.

8F7ViIE.png

I just did fan tunning and this is what it done, as of right now, I'm worried if the thing is bloody on at this point lol xD

Untitled.png

Deleted

Edited by Pixelicious
Miss Clicked

31 minutes ago, Pixelicious said:

I just did fan tunning and this is what it done, as of right now, I'm worried if the thing is bloody on at this point lol xD

Untitled.png

picture isn't working

14 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

picture isn't working

Oh that's weird, It put it on Extreme Silent and I haven't had a issue so far, so touch wood it's fixed now :D Thanks for the all the suggestions!

2 minutes ago, Pixelicious said:

Oh that's weird, It put it on Extreme Silent and I haven't had a issue so far, so touch wood it's fixed now :D Thanks for the all the suggestions!

Yea that just means your fans pretty much aren't going to spin much at all.  It's going to prioritize sound over temps.

5 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

Yea that just means your fans pretty much aren't going to spin much at all.  It's going to prioritize sound over temps.

My temps lucky sit and 23 idle and don't go above 40c while gaming :D

6 minutes ago, Pixelicious said:

My temps lucky sit and 23 idle and don't go above 40c while gaming :D

silent is probably fine for you then.