A Question for Dog Owners

Tocsin_786

I work at a computer repair shop, and went in for a house call yesterday. The only dog i am familiar with is my neighbors German Shepherd k-9 unit. My customers had a puppy who got very used to me after a few minutes of barking. Every now and then he would come by in the basement and always smell my feet. Over the course of an hour and a half he would come by every few minutes. At first I thought it is because my feet smell bad (which they do after a full day of work), but then I realized that dogs can sometimes sniff health issues. Was the dog smelling my feet because he isn't used to a new smell, or is it because there may be something wrong with my feet? I have never had health issues on my legs ever before (outside of them smelling bad sometimes), but now I am very curious. What do you guys think? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

2 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

I work at a computer repair shop, and went in for a house call yesterday. The only dog i am familiar with is my neighbors German Shepherd k-9 unit. My customers had a puppy who got very used to me after a few minutes of barking. Every now and then he would come by in the basement and always smell my feet. Over the course of an hour and a half he would come by every few minutes. At first I thought it is because my feet smell bad (which they do after a full day of work), but then I realized that dogs can sometimes sniff health issues. Was the dog smelling my feet because he isn't used to a new smell, or is it because there may be something wrong with my feet? I have never had health issues on my legs ever before (outside of them smelling bad sometimes), but now I am very curious. What do you guys think? 

It's always a possibility that K9s (and other domesticated pets) sense ailments in us - but don't put too much stock in this particular case. Feet are the first things canines smell with hoomans they don't know because they're the lowest point to the ground. Depending on the dog, they might smell you for months and beyond, just because it's a 'new' scent to their environment. Sure, you two can be bros, that doesn't mean the pooch won't smell you anyways. If you're concerned it is health-related, I would use an antifungal spray in your work shoes/boots anyways ... it's a good habit to get into to prevent trench foot (Kidding - I mean athlete's foot/ fungi).

Eternity: i7 6700k, nVidia GTX GeForce 1070, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD/2 TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM850X Gold+, Corsair H115i Extreme, Fractal Design R4, 16GB Cosair Vengeance 2400,  Acer Predator XB271HU

Huh, that's really neat. Dogs (and animals in general) really like me. Even when they are years old and I've seen them once or twice they'll come over to me instead of their long away from home owner when we arrive. 

Although I wouldn't be hopping over to my general doctor immediately it'd sure be a funny conversation at your "yearly" check up ;) 
I'm sure the puppy was just really excited at the foreign scent you had. That's my bet! (electronics, your smelly feet, whatever the heck else in on the stores ground) 

if it was in the basement could it be that the owners don't really let the puppy down there often? I'm bored at work, you can see this post captivated my attention...

1 minute ago, Gali said:

It's always a possibility that K9s (and other domesticated pets) sense ailments in us - but don't put too much stock in this particular case. Feet are the first things canines smell with hoomans they don't know because they're the lowest point to the ground. Depending on the dog, they might smell you for months and beyond, just because it's a 'new' scent to their environment. Sure, you two can be bros, that doesn't mean the pooch won't smell you anyways. If you're concerned it is health-related, I would use an antifungal spray in your work shoes/boots anyways ... it's a good habit to get into to prevent trench foot (Kidding - I mean athlete's foot/ fungi).

I really bothers me that my feet smell, and it only started happening after I started working a the place. I guess it would be a good idea. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

1 minute ago, Shog said:

Huh, that's really neat. Dogs (and animals in general) really like me. Even when they are years old and I've seen them once or twice they'll come over to me instead of their long away from home owner when we arrive. 

Although I wouldn't be hopping over to my general doctor immediately it'd sure be a funny conversation at your "yearly" check up ;) 
I'm sure the puppy was just really excited at the foreign scent you had. That's my bet! (electronics, you're smelly feet, whatever the heck else in on the stores ground) 

if it was in the basement could it be that the owners don't really let the puppy down there often? I'm bored at work, you can see this post captivated my attention...

Nah, the owners house is "open" space, there are no doors leading to any floors of the house so it's all open pathways. I was setting up the kids christmas presents, they got two VR ready gaming setups, and an Oculus. I was lucky enough to try it and setup their machines, the dog was just a plus! 

1 minute ago, Tocsin_786 said:

Nah, the owners house is "open" space, there are no doors leading to any floors of the house so it's all open pathways. I was setting up the kids christmas presents, they got two VR ready gaming setups, and an Oculus. I was lucky enough to try it and setup their machines, the dog was just a plus! 

Nice! Wish we were both the kids... ;)

1 minute ago, Shog said:

Nice! Wish we were both the kids... ;)

The kids were great as well, they weren't bitchy or anything. The little kid got the Oculus while his sister only played league on her PC. It was a nice family all around and one of my favorite house calls i've done. 

Just now, Tocsin_786 said:

The kids were great as well, they weren't bitchy or anything. The little kid got the Oculus while his sister only played league on her PC. It was a nice family all around and one of my favorite house calls i've done. 

That's great! I love hearing stories about good families! Really it's the minority that make a ruckus and flood the internet 

On 1/4/2017 at 10:40 AM, Tocsin_786 said:

As has been mentioned probably, he was probably just smelling there because he wanted to get your scent, and that's where it's strongest.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro