A software update causes Airport Security to be delayed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/01/03/border-outage-not-caused-hackers-customs-and-border-patrol-airlines-lines-airport/96107764/

A software update (unsure if it's Windows 10 or  not ?) caused major delays for the US Customs Airport Security that made long lines and delays happen for a couple of hours. They are investigating the incident as of this time and to make sure that this doesn't happen again. 

"Simple Yet Complex" 

5 minutes ago, GoZone said:

unsure if it's Windows 10

i wouldnt be surprised if they were still running win sever 2003

"Technology at these facilities is too outdated to cope with existing travel volume, let alone the increased traffic we hope and expect to see at our gateway airports in years to come," he said.

A Government Accountability Office (GAO) report in May found federal computer systems in general are “becoming increasingly obsolete,” using outdated programming and equipment, such as floppy disks still in use at the Defense Department.

floppy drives? they must be using win xp era stuff but then that old stuff doesnt get updates anymore unless it was an application update, not a OS update

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

in before russia

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Meanwhile in Brazil:
aeroporto-qualquer.jpg

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

a few years back an airport in *i think france* had some huge issues because a machine running nothing less than windows 3.1 bit the dust.

unfortunately, sometimes they have no other choice than to run an old system, in the example i just mentioned it was a system that was in control of several millions worth of PLC hardware that still worked just fine (and didnt support any newer OS) so for the sake of not making a huge investment (involving tearing up runways) they just dealt with the one box running 3.1

in this specific case tho, i wouldnt be surprised if they were running older systems because of the hardware in for example the xray machines.

--

and lets be honest, we all know none of these systems are -directly- tied to the internet, so digital security isnt *as much* of an issue in a lot of cases, as long as the bridge to the "internet of shit" is secured properly.

41 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Meanwhile in Brazil:
aeroporto-qualquer.jpg

16 minutes ago, GoZone said:

IMG_1468.JPG

seriously...

there's so much wrong with that getting best answer i'm not even gonne get into why, because you'll know at least one of the reasons...

(EDIT: besides, maybe you should, instead of making memes, put some work into making the OP more fit to the rules of the tech news & reviews section)

It's embarrassing that such important systems in the US government and infrastructure... ARE SO DAMN OUTDATED!!! And people wonder why we are always being hacked. My PC probably has more security then that airport system.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

when US aiport security werent slow enough, arent the security already total shit?

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)