Is The PS3 Now Considered Obsolete?

ClippTube

It's not being developed for it, therefore it's obsolete.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

yes, its been replaced with the PS4, there is noone developing for it and no new ones made AFAIK

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The PS3 is no longer being sold as new in many retailers. The PS3 Super Slim was being sold for a short while but is no longer being produced AFAIK. 

The PS4 has replaced it, so it is now obsolete.

Spoiler

CPU:FX 8350 4.4 ghz (Upgrading to a 6700k!).Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R 2.0 (Upgrading to a Z170 Pro4!).GPU: Sapphire R9 290 (Arctic Cooler).RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 (Upgrading to 16gb ddr4 2400mhz!) PSU: Cooler Master B700. HDD: 120gb Hyper X Fury SSD, 500gb 5400rpm Caviar Blue Cooling: Hyper 212 (Switiching out with a Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim for new build) 2x stock case fans.
Future Upgrades: h100i cooler, corsair sp120 fans, 1080p monitor, AMD->Intel CPU Switch

Still the best Blu-Ray player I've had in years!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 hour ago, Pandalf said:

It's not being developed for it, therefore it's obsolete.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes, its been replaced with the PS3, there is noone developing for it and no new ones made AFAIK

Yeah, er, according to Metacritic,, the most recently released PS4 game was on December 20th...

20 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah, er, according to Metacritic,, the most recently released PS4 game was on December 20th...

yah the PS4 is an active console

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Typo, I meant PS3. :)

pretty sure noone develops anything new for it anymore, its just basically PS4 games with cut graphics launched on it now

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

pretty sure noone develops anything new for it anymore, its just basically PS4 games with cut graphics launched on it now

Yes, that is what is called 'Development'.

The PS3 continues to see releases, more so in the Japanese market and smaller markets like South America or Asia, but this is not abnormal at all.  Consoles see software releases long into their life cycle of their replacements because software is still profitable and an install base already exists and this has been normal since even the original NES.  The releases also continue for the sake of smaller 'poorer' markets where there's less investment in new hardware but new software can still be pushed.

Keep in mind that the PS3 is still produced today.  Take a look, you can get it shipped by Prime even.

https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-500-GB-System/dp/B009DL2TBA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1483372636&sr=1-1&keywords=PlayStation+3

The releases are just rarely considered newsworthy so most people who don't know much about console sales assume the console vanished from the face of the earth.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

The PS3 continues to see releases, more so in the Japanese market and smaller markets like South America or Asia, but this is not abnormal at all.  Consoles see software releases long into their life cycle of their replacements because software is still profitable and an install base already exists and this has been normal since even the original NES.  The releases also continue for the sake of smaller 'poorer' markets where there's less investment in new hardware but new software can still be pushed.

Keep in mind that the PS3 is still produced today.  Take a look, you can get it shipped by Prime even.

https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-500-GB-System/dp/B009DL2TBA/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1483372636&sr=1-1&keywords=PlayStation+3

The releases are just rarely considered newsworthy so most people who don't know much about console sales assume the console vanished from the face of the earth.

so there are developers producing games for the PS3? and not just cuttng the graphics of the stuff they made for PS4? im impressed if thats the case, its a huge established market sure but everyone is moveing to new consoles, because thats how you colsole game

Builds:

Spoiler

• 6 months later...

Just because developers aren't making games for it anymore, doesn't mean PS3 is "obsolete".

On 02/01/2017 at 3:45 PM, AshleyAshes said:

Typo, I meant PS3. :)

Of which they're completely wrong since the most recent released PS3 game was in April with the English version of Persona 5.

On 1/2/2017 at 8:58 AM, AshleyAshes said:

Sony ended production of the PS3 back in May. You can still find some new systems out there, but it's not being manufactured anymore.

9 hours ago, Chris Burdick said:

Just because developers aren't making games for it anymore, doesn't mean PS3 is "obsolete".

Nice necro fam

You necro'd a 7 month old post so 10/10 hats off to you

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

• 2 weeks later...

Well since the topic was brought back up, I don't think anything will ever have a run as long as the PS2 did or as short as the original XBOX. PS2 may not have been very powerful at all but it had so many good games back in the day and exclusives. Right now the only reason I want a PS4 is for when the new Gran Turismo comes out. I already got a platinum trophy in Ratchet & Clank (speaking of which the PS3 has a good few PS2 remastered games of ones with added trophies) and to bring back my childhood I'll have to get that new Crash Bandicoot remake :)

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

Entirely depends on what you define as obsolete. The graphics and the power of the PS3 is far surpassed even by the "lowly" PS4 and XBO. Tech has come a long way since then. 

Is it still a useful and fun console with a large library? Yes, if you can find a new one or one in good condition. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 2 weeks later...

Umm Fifa 18 is coming to the ps3 and persona 5 came to the ps3. The ps2's last game to come out was late 2013, and fifa 14 also came to the ps2. Regardless, i'd still say the ps3's been obsolete for 2 years now because most games aren't on it anymore.

On a slightly related note, it looks like this year will be the first year where the Wii U has greater software sales than the PS3. So in that respect the PS3 is arguably more obsolete than the very definitely obsolete Wii U

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

On 1/2/2017 at 6:13 AM, ClippTube said:

Is The PS3 Now Considered Obsolete?

Anything released to the public is now past the R&D / development phase, and thus is technically obsolete. That being said, hardware is still considered current as long as updates are actively being worked on. Considering that the PS4 has taken over the PS3, I'd call it obsolete in terms of new games or features, but definitely still a worthwhile console if you want to play exclusives and can buy one on the cheap.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)