I5-6600k bottleneck 1080

hi im building my first gaming pc and having trouble picking the right CPU im on a 1440p 60hz monitor with a gtx 1080, well based on my research many people are saying that the i5-6600k will bottleneck with the gtx 1080.. some thoughts please? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

3 minutes ago, ferdzxc said:

hi im building my first gaming pc and having trouble picking the right CPU im on a 1440p 60hz monitor with a gtx 1080, well based on my research many people are saying that the i5-6600k will bottleneck with the gtx 1080.. some thoughts please? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

It should be fine. I would OC the CPU, but running at stock should also be fine. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

2 minutes ago, ferdzxc said:

If you can oc ur 6600k (4.5ish) there shouldn't be any bottlenecks 

Damn, why are the CPUs lagging behind GPUs so hard? What will become of us AMD CPU users? I never even knew, I thought anything i5 could handle any 80 series GPU, but apparently not. What's the minimum CPU that won't bottleneck a 1080?

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

It can and will do, but it really depends on the game and resolution. However, at 1440p it shouldn't be that bad. 

okay well lets say im planing to play all curent triple A games right now and in the future? no plan on editing just gaming btw

1 minute ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

It should be fine. I would OC the CPU, but running at stock should also be fine. 

Just now, digitaldoughnut said:

If you can oc ur 6600k (4.5ish) there shouldn't be any bottlenecks 

This is what I thought, but even then, you HAVE to OC a CPU just to use a 1080? Damn, GPUs are growing fast. Again, what's the slowest CPU that can handle a 1080 at full power without bottlenecking and without OCing?

1 minute ago, ferdzxc said:

okay well lets say im planing to play all curent triple A games right now and in the future? no plan on editing just gaming btw

In theory, since the majority of the load will be placed on the GPU, you should be fine. To answer the question you just posted, probably a 6700. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, ferdzxc said:

Based on what I'm hearing, that CPU will slow down that GPU, so in my book, you have to just sync them; beef up the CPU, or lower the GPU

The 1080 is amazingly powerful. I don't think however that it will bottleneck a 6600k bad at all, and at 1440p you don't have to worry about performance from either the CPU or GPU, as they're both pretty capable as far as we can see.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

4 minutes ago, adithyay328 said:

Damn, why are the CPUs lagging behind GPUs so hard? What will become of us AMD CPU users? I never even knew, I thought anything i5 could handle any 80 series GPU, but apparently not. What's the minimum CPU that won't bottleneck a 1080?

I feel no lagging.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, adithyay328 said:

Based on what I'm hearing, that CPU will slow down that GPU, so in my book, you have to just sync them; beef up the CPU, or lower the GPU

yeahh. im just gathering facts wether is it worth it for the extra 100$. still cant decide tbh lol

4 minutes ago, adithyay328 said:

The cpus are lagging behind because intel has been dominating the market for a few years, so no competition (by AMD) therefore no need to make new cpu technologies

1 minute ago, GR1MES said:

The 1080 is amazingly powerful. I don't think however that it will bottleneck a 6600k bad at all, and at 1440p you don't have to worry about performance from either the CPU or GPU, as they're both pretty capable as far as we can see.

Phew, CPUs are competent still compared to GPUs.

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I feel no lagging.

Ha ha ha ha ha

1 minute ago, digitaldoughnut said:

The cpus are lagging behind because intel has been dominating the market for a few years, so no competition (by AMD) therefore no need to make new cpu technologies

True. GPUs don't have these issues, based on the war ground we have set up in the PC community, Red vs Green. GREEN FTW.

Just now, stationvsbox said:

Just get the 6700K they age much better and keep their value.

And OC later on to keep it up to date. 

@ferdzxc Buy the best CPU that you can. An i5 will not bottleneck the 1080, but buying better is good.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers