Upgrade or Overclock?

So I have an i5-2500k not overclocked. My motherboard doesn't support it apparently. Currently I have an Asrock H61M-VG4. I bought it because the original motherboard was bad (I found this pc at a garage sale for $50 it was a steal). I have 12Gb of RAM and a EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SSC GAMING ACX 2.0+. What are my options? Should I bite the bullet and buy a used Z77 off of ebay considering I can't find it anywhere new? I'm seeing some enthusiasts getting 4.5ghz on air cooled systems. I don't want to water cool. I don't need to run games at 4k 1080p is completely fine with me. What I'm noticing slowly is that my cpu is starting to bottleneck my 960. I can run for example Quantum Break on medium but my GPU utilization is only at 60% while my cpu is pulling 95-100 while playing. My other thoughts are to get a new motherboard and pick up a 4690k. Any thoughts are appreciated.

3 minutes ago, hyperj123 said:

Assuming you already have like a hyper 212 on it or other tower cooler and can find a cheap overclocking board go for it.

Otherwise save up for Ryzen

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just bite the bullet and buy a Z77 board, if it does work out, you'll save a lot of money.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900XT Triple Fan | G.Skill 32GB 2x D5 6000

I would get the new board and the 4690k because that will be pretty well balanced with the 960 you have. Overclocking an old CPU does not give a big performance boost because overclocking old hardware gives you old overclocking results which are pretty small in today's titles.

I do have a hyper 212 evo on it. Can you recommend some boards that allow OC? I really don't want to drop $150 usd on a motherboard that is 2nd gen. 

Just to play devils advocate I read that some people are saying that there isn't much bonus between 2500k and 4690k once you OC the 2500k considering most games don't run multi-threaded. 

1 minute ago, hyperj123 said:

I do have a hyper 212 evo on it. Can you recommend some boards that allow OC? I really don't want to drop $150 usd on a motherboard that is 2nd gen. 

Just to play devils advocate I read that some people are saying that there isn't much bonus between 2500k and 4690k once you OC the 2500k considering most games don't run multi-threaded. 

any Z77 board you find that's around $50 or so

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On-air OCs of a 2500K can go a lot higher than 4.5Ghz. I was running my 2500K @ 4.6Ghz with a 212 Evo, and, if you have a good enough chip, I think you could do 4.8 - 5Ghz with that cooler.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987