Tobben's 4P Build Log, 48 core folder. (mini-Malossi)

well i might do it sometime in the future just for the lols, atleast you can see my ppd in folding even though that doesn't say a whole lot, as for the cables and whatnot, to be honest with you i don't mind them, in my opinion that's part of the charm when it comes to a system like this, i think running the system naked like this is great, being able to see everything, if anything i prefer it being a tiny bit messy, if i didn't i would have taken away the optical drive :P, having cables hanging down from my shelf was just plain stupid though so i got them glued to the wall with some stealthy white rubber tubes.

yeah it doesnt really matter I was just saying. and yeah open air is probs better for a quad cpu rig.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Try playing a cpu intensive game and tell us the frames please!!!

• 2 weeks later...

just wanted to share that i am likely to attempt some overclocking soon, if i do it will probably be before christmas time when i start my vacation, it's pretty darn toasty and warm if it's around 10*C outside i still have to keep my windows open at all times if it's around 0 *C outside, at -5*C and below i could almost, take note of the "almost" :), fire up some additional heat, so i figured if im ever going to do it now is the time.

i have kept a log of the average current performance on various projects, so i will be sharing my current numbers and overclocked ones for comparison.

not sure what im going to do in the summer.. i might have to shut it down, i would be fine sweating buckets but having the system temps increase by 10-15 *c, not so much.

Very nice 4p/48 core rig

thanks :), have a look at imaginaerums setup if you haven't seen it yet, it's great.

Try playing a cpu intensive game and tell us the frames please!!!

well, that would have to be a programming marble of optimization, i will probably stick to number crunching for the time being, i don't think performance would be very impressive with the all so powerfull integrated matrox G200 graphics :P.

• 2 weeks later...

32 CORES!!!!!!!!

That is insanely awesome!!!

Corsair 350d, Asus Gryphon Z87, Intel i5 4670k 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengence 16gb 1600 MHz,

AMD Radeon 260x, Corsair CX600, OCZ Vetex 450 128gb, Seagate 2 TB 

32 CORES!!!!!!!!

That is insanely awesome!!!

it is, thanks ;), it's 48 cores though :P it is tempting to pick up 4 16 core processors but that will have to wait, i have already burned enough money ..

• 3 weeks later...

it is, thanks ;), it's 48 cores though :P it is tempting to pick up 4 16 core processors but that will have to wait, i have already burned enough money ..

Ya, those 16 cores units are stupid expensive...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

• 1 month later...

The IPMI function has some pretty useful functions such as system stats independent of the OS.  In case you're wondering how your cooling solution is doing, aside from saving desk real estate, less cables, freeing monitor and even rid of the optical drive  :lol: 

man.. i didn't realise how great ipm view was at first, i guess i still haven't :P, at the very least, i just installed it and it looks fantastic, it literally took about 5 minutes, 4 and a half minute to download and 30 seconds to install and set up, i didn't realise it was that simple and so convenient, im actually abit disapointed in how easy it was :P was just wondering about the mouse, but i seem to be able to control it through my mouse and keyboard in the KVM console by enabling keyboard passthrough and relative mouse mode, this is just absolutely fantastic.

i probably wont get around to using anything other than the very basic features it provides, it does show cpu temp 1-4 as low but only one system temp, is there a way to make it show the actual cpu temp to each of the 4 cpu's in degrees celsius?

Having just ordered a Supermicro board with IPMI capability myself, I might at some

point get back to you with a question or two on this if that's alright. I the meantime,

thanks for the info! :)

i never got around to asking you but what did you end up doing with that supermicro board of yours?

Edit: hopefully a mod won't consider this thread necroing as i consider this thread a pretty suitable place for discussions relating to these things.

Ya, those 16 cores units are stupid expensive...

not just 16 core but for the most part 6200-6300 series processors don't seem all that easy to come by, especially not at a decent price, while a decent performance boost without much higher power consumption is extremely appealing to me i guess i will just forget about it and stick with what i have.

They dun have thin nuts at all...

Definitely should play safe,the motherboard is not cheap.

I guess i will ask them if they have large enough rivets then.Hope the aluminium ones are strong enough.

hey, how did your project turn out? and what are you using it for? pictures is always a plus! :P, or perhaps you have a thread about it buried somwhere on the forum?

i probably wont get around to using anything other than the very basic features it provides, it does show cpu temp 1-4 as low but only one system temp, is there a way to make it show the actual cpu temp to each of the 4 cpu's in degrees celsius?

IPMI is pretty great, all I need to plug into the machine are the LAN cables

and the power cable, log into IPMI from another one and boom! Magic! :D

I must say that once I have started the machine though I usually SSH into it,

it's still a bit more convenient for working on the terminal than IPMIview,

but overall I think it's a pretty great thing and I wish I could get it on

all my boards.

i never got around to asking you but what did you end up doing with that supermicro board of yours?

I have set up an Arch Linux host on it and intend to run four VMs (one for BOINC,

one as my dad's business data server, one as my personal data server and one

as our streaming server) on it. The system is currently disassembled again since

I'm manufacturing the HDD cages, but it should be done in the foreseeable future

(will post an update to APOLLO's build log of course once I actually have something

to show).

Edit: hopefully a mod won't consider this thread necroing as i consider this thread a pretty suitable place for discussions relating to these things.

I think somebody might talk to you about quadruple-posting, but this is your build

log, unless you start posting content which is against CoC I think it should be

alright. ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I have set up an Arch Linux host on it and intend to run four VMs (one for BOINC,

one as my dad's business data server, one as my personal data server and one

as our streaming server) on it. The system is currently disassembled again since

I'm manufacturing the HDD cages, but it should be done in the foreseeable future

(will post an update to APOLLO's build log of course once I actually have something

to show).

ahh man, that sounds like lots of fun.

ahh man, that sounds like lots of fun.

Yeah it actually is. I hadn't played around with VMs before, so this has

been a fun learning experience (using QEMU and the guests are Arch as well).

The nice thing is that the Supermicro board I'm using has four Intel

Gigabit ports, so I can give a dedicated network port to each VM, with

the BOINC one sharing its port with either the host or one of the other

VMs (haven't decided yet).

Plus, this allows me to have dedicated and sensible setups for each VM which

I can back up easily. So if ever I need to re-install the host for whatever

reason I can just setup QEMU again, copy/paste the VM images, make sure all

disks they require are plugged in and continue operating.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

• 3 weeks later...

*prepare your eyes, noob question incoming*

What is the use of this system? I'm sure it costs a hell of a lot of money, but for what purpose? Obviously not gaming as to they can't even use 8 cores, let alone 48. I doubt you have plans to mine with it seeing as to CPU based mining isn't very cost efficient. I'd assume the only thing left would be to fold, but honestly I don't even understand what that is, nor do i understand its purpose.

//ccap

*prepare your eyes, noob question incoming*

What is the use of this system? I'm sure it costs a hell of a lot of money, but for what purpose? Obviously not gaming as to they can't even use 8 cores, let alone 48. I doubt you have plans to mine with it seeing as to CPU based mining isn't very cost efficient. I'd assume the only thing left would be to fold, but honestly I don't even understand what that is, nor do i understand its purpose.

hm... let me see... what motivational comment can i dig up for you.. 

you see science, it is a fantastic thing that let's us understand the world around us, how things work are put together and how they interact, lets us take advantage of them in all sorts of fantastic ways, boinc is a open distributed computing project, it means that you can help scientists doing calculations, instead of running all these projects themselves, that would cost millions upon millions of dollars, instead they break the projects into smaller pieces and sends it to guys like me that do the calculations and send them back, this way they save alot of money while gaining a network that is faster than any centralised solution they could come up with, you are basicly helping scientists figuring out things by lending them your computational resources, all that by simply running a program on your computer.

folding is mainly aimed towards mapping out the various proteins and trying to find a solution to alzheimer cancer and all that nasty stuff, boinc is a collection of a whole bunch of different distributed projects, these can involve mathematics, physics, medical science, astronomy/space, astrophysics, you name it, all kinds of fantastic things.

basicly, it's all for science because science is awesome, in spite of the title this machine isn't as much for folding as it is a machine dedicated towards distributed computing projects.

basicly, it's all for science because science is awesome, in spite of the title this machine isn't as much for folding as it is a machine dedicated towards distributed computing projects.

Well, I think I'm convinced to join boinc. Physics I find to be interesting, and if it means finding out even more theories that will be disproved later, the more things to learn about in my freetime. :) I'll consider building a rig designed specifically for this down the road. Thanks for the explanation. 

//ccap

Well, I think I'm convinced to join boinc. Physics I find to be interesting, and if it means finding out even more theories that will be disproved later, the more things to learn about in my freetime. :) I'll consider building a rig designed specifically for this down the road. Thanks for the explanation. 

not to mention it gives pc enthusiasts a good excuse to mess around with hardware they have no business dealing with :P.

what would i use this for besides boinc and folding you ask? well, probably not alot as i most likely don't need all that processing power otherwise.

not to mention it gives pc enthusiasts a good excuse to mess around with hardware they have no business dealing with :P.

Pshhhh. I totally need to use 48 cores daily. Who do you think I am? :P Thanks though for the business sales pitch. I'll be sure to use the analogy you gave me to people who are skeptical about folding/ boinc in the future. It sold me, and hopefully it can sell a few more people.

//ccap

@tobben Oh and congratulations on getting 1000 posts recently. It's a pretty big milestone for any forum. ;)

//ccap

@tobben Oh and congratulations on getting 1000 posts recently. It's a pretty big milestone for any forum. ;)

thanks, not so much on this forum though as people are abit crazy over here.

Pshhhh. I totally need to use 48 cores daily. Who do you think I am? :P Thanks though for the business sales pitch. I'll be sure to use the analogy you gave me to people who are skeptical about folding/ boinc in the future. It sold me, and hopefully it can sell a few more people.

while to some extent it might be abit of a "business sales pitch" i'm still pretty serious about my science ;), i also think physics is awesome, astrophysics in particular.

• 3 months later...

i want money like you :P

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

i want money like you :P

hehe don't we all :D, i do admit this was a pretty steep investment for me, i wish i had gone with newer 6300 series processors while i was at it, i mean.. all that money on the motherboard ram etc.. might aswell have dished out abit more on the processor while i was at it, considering that's where the crunching magic happens.

i would have loved to get a gpu setup going aswell, but running this monstrosity for two years pretty much equals the initial investment of buying it so.. yush i'm stuck at my current electricity consumption :P.

Sick man! best room heater yet

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs