Ip change

Crying in a pooh suit
4 hours ago, EvilCat70 said:

Yea we have ADSL so 

EDIT: I checked with my Dad and we have Fibre... So why do we have an ADSL connection????

PPPoE can be used with fiber as well, as for which exactly you have I can't really say... some people market Fiber to the Cabinet/Node (FTTC or FTTN) (meaning fiber up to the last 1500m or so, and coax or telephone lines to the houses) as fiber - whereas when people hear fiber they think it's fiber to the home (FTTH). Either way, since you didn't get a new IP when you power cycled and reset your router, it sounds like Sky is doing something akin to a lease even if it's PPPoE, meaning you either have to wait for that time period to expire (impractical as you don't know how long it is) or call them to have your IP changed.

BTW you may want to check with your dad - if you do have some sort of fiber internet, you might also have a static IP.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

3 hours ago, brwainer said:

ome people market Fiber to the Cabinet/Node (FTTC or FTTN) (meaning fiber up to the last 1500m or so, and coax or telephone lines to the houses) as fiber

To me this should be considered false advertising. The only True fiber is Fiber to the home. Im glad that Comcast at least doesn't use this tactic to get customers. AT&T does, they will blatantly lie to you that your getting fiber to the home, when its just shit DSL or if your lucky VDSL. I had someone at AT&T try to tell me I can get fiber. I was like why the fuck does it state on your website I can only get 6 Mbps then? Why do my neighbors who have your service say it doesn't work half the time? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, brwainer said:

PPPoE can be used with fiber as well, as for which exactly you have I can't really say... some people market Fiber to the Cabinet/Node (FTTC or FTTN) (meaning fiber up to the last 1500m or so, and coax or telephone lines to the houses) as fiber - whereas when people hear fiber they think it's fiber to the home (FTTH). Either way, since you didn't get a new IP when you power cycled and reset your router, it sounds like Sky is doing something akin to a lease even if it's PPPoE, meaning you either have to wait for that time period to expire (impractical as you don't know how long it is) or call them to have your IP changed.

BTW you may want to check with your dad - if you do have some sort of fiber internet, you might also have a static IP.

I looked around in our router settings and I also checked 'ipconfig /all' in Command Prompt. It does say when there was a Lease Renewal and a Lease Expiry, it's around every 24 hours.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

52 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

I looked around in our router settings and I also checked 'ipconfig /all' in Command Prompt. It does say when there was a Lease Renewal and a Lease Expiry, it's around every 24 hours.

Literally (and I mean, by definition), any command you can run on your computer, can *only* tell you information about teh connection between your comouter and the router. You can't learn anything about your router's connection to the internet. All you have leanred is that on the LAN side of the router, the DHCP lease time is 24 hours.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Literally (and I mean, by definition), any command you can run on your computer, can *only* tell you information about teh connection between your comouter and the router. You can't learn anything about your router's connection to the internet. All you have leanred is that on the LAN side of the router, the DHCP lease time is 24 hours.

ok

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz