Ip change

Crying in a pooh suit
17 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

Apparently Sky Broadband (my ISP) uses dynamic IPs - That must be a big bunch of lies, I restarted my router and no IP was changed...

It depends on how they are assigned - PPPoE or DHCP. With DHCP (just like is used by your router on your LAN) an IP address is assigned for a period of time, which can range from minutes to days. My grandparent's ISP uses a lease time of 7 days. You have to change your router's MAC (most routers have the ability to clone the MAC of a LAN device) or ask your ISP to remove the lease manually in order to get a new IP - or I guess you could unplug your router for however long the lease is. If your ISP uses DHCP, then on the page where your router shows its WAN IP it should also say how much time is remaining - and typically DHCP devices renew their lease at halfway through.

If your ISP uses PPPoE, then it depends on how their network is set up. Most of the time with PPPoE, as soon as your connection times out on the ISP's server, the IP is released as available for use. This is based on early DSL systems which were still based around the idea that your modem would "call" the ISP to make a connection - which was called PPP. Modern DSL uses PPPoA and PPPoE, and sometimes DHCP. Some PPPoE systems may remember what IP was assigned to a router for a period of time, similar to DHCP, but this is not the common setup.

Edit: The difference between DHCP and PPPoE is that PPPoE keeps a connection open with the server that all your traffic routes through, so it knows when you are no longer connected. With DHCP, the server assigning the addresses is not directly related to your connection, so it has no idea when you are disconnected. Even your router has no idea when a LAN device disconnects and has to wait for the DHCP lease to expire.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

It depends on how they are assigned - PPPoE or DHCP. With DHCP (just like is used by router router on your LAN) an IP address is assigned for a period of time, which can range from minutes to days. My grandparent's ISP uses a lease time of 7 days. You have to change your router's MAC (most routers have the ability to clone the MAC of a LAN device) or ask your ISP to remove the lease manually in order to get a new IP - or I guess you could unplug your router for however long the lease is. If your ISP uses DHCP, then on he page where your router shows its WAN IP it should also say how much time is remaining - and typically DHCP devices renew their lease at halfway through.

If your ISP uses PPPoE, then it depends on how their network is set up. Most of the time with PPPoE, as soon as your connection times out on the ISP's server, the IP is released as available for use. This is based on early DSL systems which were still based around the idea that your modem would "call" the ISP to make a connection - which was called PPP. Modern DSL uses PPPoA and PPPoE, and sometimes DHCP. Some PPPoE systems may remember what IP was assigned to a router for a period of time, similar to DHCP, but this is not the common setup.

Wow, you know a lot xD I hardly knew what half the words you said were :D

Well in Command Prompt, on my Ethernet it says that DHCP is enabled, so yea. Every now and again my router does this 'self healing' where it goes offline for a minute or so and then every site you try to visit brings you to the 'self healing' page in the router. I don't know if that's the lease being renewed or what. But I don't know if my IP is dynamic or static purely because when I pressed the 'reset' button on it, the IP didn't change (do you have to unplug the router or just press 'reset')

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

3 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

Wow, you know a lot xD I hardly knew what half the words you said were :D

Well in Command Prompt, on my Ethernet it says that DHCP is enabled, so yea. Every now and again my router does this 'self healing' where it goes offline for a minute or so and then every site you try to visit brings you to the 'self healing' page in the router. I don't know if that's the lease being renewed or what. But I don't know if my IP is dynamic or static purely because when I pressed the 'reset' button on it, the IP didn't change (do you have to unplug the router or just press 'reset')

Your computer using DHCP with your router is not the same as your router using DHCP with your ISP. You'd have to log into your router's settings to see whether it is configured for DHCP, PPPoE, or even possibly a static IP.

In most cases resetting the router won't change your public IP because it won't change your MAC address (unless you had set up a cloned MAC and resetting the router restores the builtin one)

Your computer using DHCP with your router is not the same as your router using DHCP with your ISP. You'd have to log into your router's settings to see whether it is configured for DHCP, PPPoE, or even possibly a static IP.

In most cases resetting the router won't change your public IP because it won't change your MAC address (unless you had set up a cloned MAC and resetting the router restores the builtin one)

Ok so, I'm in my router's admin area but I can't find where it says anything about DHCP or PPPoE

Most residential lines use a dynamic IP so just power cycle the router than you should be fine

1 minute ago, harrycoram said:

Most residential lines use a dynamic IP so just power cycle the router than you should be fine

Is that by hitting the reset button on the back of it?

40 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

Apparently Sky Broadband (my ISP) uses dynamic IPs - That must be a big bunch of lies, I restarted my router and no IP was changed...

It can sometimes take a little while. If I want mine changed I unplug my router and modem and just go black-out for about 10 minutes.

24 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

Is that by hitting the reset button on the back of it?

turn off the router for like 10 mins or so 

6 minutes ago, harrycoram said:

ok thanks

44 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

Ok so, I'm in my router's admin area but I can't find where it says anything about DHCP or PPPoE

Let us know the model of your router and we can tell you where and what to look for.

43 minutes ago, harrycoram said:

27 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

It can sometimes take a little while. If I want mine changed I unplug my router and modem and just go black-out for about 10 minutes.

18 minutes ago, harrycoram said:

THIS ONLY APPLIES IF OP HAS AN ISP THAT USES PPPoE. If the OP's ISP uses DHCP, then this will do nothing. DHCP lease times can be many days long, meaning that for this to work in that case, the OP would have to unplug his router for days. Before spreading around information that is only applicable for 1 of 2 possible setups, please make an effort to see if it actually applies to the OP.

Let us know the model of your router and we can tell you where and what to look for.

THIS ONLY APPLIES IF OP HAS AN ISP THAT USES PPPoE. If the OP's ISP uses DHCP, then this will do nothing. DHCP lease times can be many days long, meaning that for this to work in that case, the OP would have to unplug his router for days. Before spreading around information that is only applicable for 1 of 2 possible setups, please make an effort to see if it actually applies to the OP.

How do I check if it is PPPoE?

Just now, EvilCat70 said:

How do I check if it is PPPoE?

2 minutes ago, brwainer said:

It's the Sky February 2016 model.

Just as an example for everyone, here is a screenshot from a router that I manage. The ISP is RCN, and RCN uses DOCSIS3 with DHCP. You can see in the screenshot that the remaning lease time is 55 days! So if I wanted the IP to change by unplugging the router (and/or modem) I would have to leave it unplugged for almost 2 months in order for the IP to change! And this is still considered a dynamic IP.

http://imgur.com/a/Fi7SX

3 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

It's the Sky February 2016 model.

Please give me the exact model name, it should say it somewhere on the bottom. It may be something like "SR102"

2 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Just as an example for everyone, here is a screenshot from a router that I manage. The ISP is RCN, and RCN uses DOCSIS3 with DHCP. You can see in the screenshot that the remaning lease time is 55 days! So if I wanted the IP to change by unplugging the router (and/or modem) I would have to leave it unplugged for almost 2 months in order for the IP to change! And this is still considered a dynamic IP.

http://imgur.com/a/Fi7SX

On my iPad on my main router does not say 'Renew Lease'

Just now, EvilCat70 said:

On my iPad on my main router does not say 'Renew Lease'

you may be using PPPoE then, but some routers do not have an easy way to renew the lease even when using DHCP. But you shouldn't ever have to manually renew a DHCP lease, devices automatically renew when the lease if half over, and if they don't get a response then, they will try again when the lease expires.

you may be using PPPoE then, but some routers do not have an easy way to renew the lease even when using DHCP. But you shouldn't ever have to manually renew a DHCP lease, devices automatically renew when the lease if half over, and if they don't get a response then, they will try again when the lease expires.

Ok, but the only model on RouterModels.com is the Feb 2016 one so I believe all the routers after I'd say about 2014 are the same one as what my family has now.

3 hours ago, Cry | kickback.com | csgopot.win said:

Telia, in sweden.

I got confused and was thinking that @EvilCat70 was the OP of this topic. But my advice to you is the same as it is for him - before I can offer you serious advice, I have to know whether your ISP uses DHCP or PPPoE. If you don't know how to find that, just give us the model of your router and/or modem, and I can figure out where you need to look by looking at the manual for your device. If you don't want to do all this work to change your IP yourself, you can just give your ISP a call and ask them to help you get assigned a new IP address.

2 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

Ok, but the only model on RouterModels.com is the Feb 2016 one so I believe all the routers after I'd say about 2014 are the same one as what my family has now.

Please look, with your hands and eyes, at the bottom and/or back of your router - physically look at the unit, and tell me the exact model number, or the part number. There may be many actual models that are referred to as "February 2016".

3 hours ago, Cry | kickback.com | csgopot.win said:

Hello, i got scammed by some dude. Now he is threathing me whit ddos if i don't pay hi more (cs:go skins) He already showed that he can ddos me.

I really want to change my ip so that he can't do it. Pls how do i do it?

i'm on win 10

If you have proof you might be able to go not only to your ISP but to law enforcement. Im pretty sure that at least in the US, DDOSing could be a violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. Maybe your ISP can do something, they tend to have armies of lawyers on retainer. LOL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Please look, with your hands and eyes, at the bottom and/or back of your router - physically look at the unit, and tell me the exact model number, or the part number. There may be many actual models that are referred to as "February 2016".

I looked and it did not say any model number

38 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

I looked and it did not say any model number

OK. When I search for "Sky Router February 2016" I don't get many results really - but I'm assuming that it's a Sky Hub for non-fiber (ADSL) connections. If so, then it does use PPPoE, but beyond that There really isn't much info. The most info I can find about it is that it is a very limited router/modem combo unit.

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

OK. When I search for "Sky Router February 2016" I don't get many results really - but I'm assuming that it's a Sky Hub for non-fiber (ADSL) connections. If so, then it does use PPPoE, but beyond that There really isn't much info. The most info I can find about it is that it is a very limited router/modem combo unit.

Yea we have ADSL so 

EDIT: I checked with my Dad and we have Fibre... So why do we have an ADSL connection????

Having ports forwarded (open) won't help nor harm a DDoS Attack. If you run a service with a port open, and it is targetted for quantity and not bandwidth... it may overload the computer. Changing your IP depends on the ISP. Here in the United States, ISPs like Comcast give IPs via DHCP assigned to the MAC Address. If you change the routers MAC, the IP changes. At&t (DSL), Frontier FiOS, Verizon FiOS, etc... does it slightly different, as the devices they issue don't allow you to change the IP. Frontier Communications (in non-FIOS areas) will change your IP quite frequently, they'll change much quicker due to shorter DHCP leases.

It all depends. 

Regards,

Remix

Please (@mention) my username. Otherwise I may not see your message!