Lets get real. 1080p, RX480 vs GTX1060.

Andrew Sh

Hi all,

I'm here for opinions. I know this is a highly discussed topic but hear me out.

I've done a Cr*p tone of research about the performance already and I know that the 4gb RX480 currently just barely outperforms the GTX1060 3gb (and the 6gb barely outperforms the 480 in return) This ofcourse is performance post- relive patch.

My needs for the card:

I run 2x 1080p monitors. 1 for gaming and 1 for browser/skype etc etc (not intensive)

So essentially I'm gaming on 1080p only.

I want to play everything absolutely maxed out and have no intention to move to 1440p/4k.

I own an MSI R9 6970 Lightning at the moment. It's my backup card which I've owned for almost 5 years and have owned the following since then:
Asus GTX 770: Sold after 1 year (lel got 220eu for it)
Asus GTX 970: RMA due to faulty HDMI connection.

So my recent favoring team was Nvidia.

But AMD was the underdog and I'm deeply impressed by their recent achievements, DRIVER support (Crimson, Relive free performance gains are AWESOME), Ryzen (yet to see how good that'll be), Vega (seems like it'll hit the market well but I'm not one for waiting)

Also lets not forget that AMD cards seem to have a longer life span (Lets face it, the R9 290 is still a beast and many still use it)

So on Amazon.co.uk there is the following:

GTX 1060 3GB
Palit : £189

Zotac: £190

Asus Dual: £200

RX 480 4Gb

Sapphire: £200

So the price differences are almost negligible considering the RX480 performs slightly better.
With recent trends, it's possible that the RX480 may at some point get another slight performance boost which could put it in front of the GTX1060 6GB.

The 4GB of the RX 480 also makes more sense despite the fact that only about 2-3 AAA titles can use more than 3GB at 1080p. But hey, even for those 3, if the 1 GB extra doesn't cost more, then why not, right?

Please share opinions and thoughts on future developments.

The 3GB 1060 will struggle in some VRAM heavy games (pretty much all recent AAA games) and the framerate will dip often and/or you'll get high frametimes. A good example is the new Resident Evil 7. 

d5qTagc.png

taken from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_2pAEsO3dg

An extra gig might not seem much, but in some games it's enough of a difference. Considering the current state of AMD's drivers and great features like Freesync, it's the obvious choice imo. 

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Unlock your budget a little and get the xfx gtr rx480 8gb, you can thank me later!

Chances are the more and more drivers come out, the rx480 will outperform the gtx1060 by a decent margin, plus you encourage the competitor instead of the almost monopoly.

Facts are if we all buy nvidia, we end up digging amd's grave and end up with nvidia making minor generational improvements and charging us too much for it.

If we all buy amd's, they will put enormous pressure on nvidia, both will invest hugely in r&d and we will end up with huge generational improvements and competitive pricing on both sides.

I see people saying that this should not influence in an individual's choice, but they are clearly morons to not see the fact that the big picture is decided by nothing else than a lot of individual choices.

You're not going to max out every have with those cards. Even 1070s struggle to max some new games in 1080p (I don't get why people feel they need to play all their games with graphic sliders all the way to the right but whatever).

They are tied in 1080p and 480 wins in new APIs. FreeSync is also cheaper and trust me that VRR is the 2nd coming of Jeebus.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

You're not going to max out every have with those cards. Even 1070s struggle to max some new games in 1080p (I don't get why people feel they need to play all their games with graphic sliders all the way to the right but whatever).

They are tied in 1080p and 480 wins in new APIs. FreeSync is also cheaper and trust me that VRR is the 2nd coming of Jeebus.

That new API business is all marketing. The API has little to do with it, like any API it comes down to the developer and engine being used. You can't take AMD backed games and judge a API. 

Look at Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War. Both DX12, a new API is it not? No advantage to the RX 480, even with asynchronous compute enabled. 

All we are doing here is the same old biased evaluation meant to push one manufacturer over the other.... why?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

That new API business is all marketing. The API has little to do with it, like any API it comes down to the developer and engine being used. You can't take AMD backed games and judge a API. 

Look at Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War. Both DX12, a new API is it not? No advantage to the RX 480, even with asynchronous compute enabled. 

All we are doing here is the same old biased evaluation meant to push one manufacturer over the other.... why?

Gears is made with unreal engine 4 which has a partnership with Nvidia, so what they're doing is Nvidia's definition of asynchronous compute (which is fine, DX 12 shows for each vendor to make their optimal code path, but that info needs to be known before saying asynchronous compute didn't benefit the GCN architecture in unreal engine 4 games).

I haven't kept up with FH3 performance but last I checked AMD was winning there. I thought they fixed that games performance issues (like I said I haven't kept up with it).

AMD winning in most low level API games is a fact not a bias. A lot of them that were bad on these are getting fixed. Deus Ex now gives better performance in dx12 than 11. So does the division.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Gears is made with unreal engine 4 which has a partnership with Nvidia, so what they're doing is Nvidia's definition of asynchronous compute (which is fine, DX 12 shows for each vendor to make their optimal code path, but that info needs to be known before saying asynchronous compute didn't benefit the GCN architecture in unreal engine 4 games).

I haven't kept up with FH3 performance but last I checked AMD was winning there. I thought they fixed that games performance issues (like I said I haven't kept up with it).

AMD winning in most low level API games is a fact not a bias. A lot of them that were bad on these are getting fixed. Deus Ex now gives better performance in dx12 than 11. So does the division.

DX11 to DX12 ports are not representative of DX12, Gamers Nexus has made several videos on this. Most are ported specifically for AMD...

The 1060 had a lead,  they lost that lead. AMD deserves credit for that. But this behavior of only looking at the evidence that supports some need for one to be better than the other helps no one.

Both are great cards, get which ever you like or is cheaper. Why do we continuous have to over complicate that?

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

DX11 to DX12 ports are not representative of DX12, Gamers Nexus has made several videos on this. Most are ported specifically for AMD...

The 1060 had a lead,  they lost that lead. AMD deserves credit for that. But this behavior of only looking at the evidence that supports some need for one to be better than the other helps no one.

Both are great cards, get which ever you like or is cheaper. Why do we continuous have to over complicate that?

Man, I'm not doing this again 

Just now, ivan134 said:

Man, I'm not doing this again 

Exactly lol, the reason for the meme. Pure silliness. 

2 hours ago, Howitz said:

Unlock your budget a little and get the xfx gtr rx480 8gb, you can thank me later!

Chances are the more and more drivers come out, the rx480 will outperform the gtx1060 by a decent margin, plus you encourage the competitor instead of the almost monopoly.

Facts are if we all buy nvidia, we end up digging amd's grave and end up with nvidia making minor generational improvements and charging us too much for it.

If we all buy amd's, they will put enormous pressure on nvidia, both will invest hugely in r&d and we will end up with huge generational improvements and competitive pricing on both sides.

I see people saying that this should not influence in an individual's choice, but they are clearly morons to not see the fact that the big picture is decided by nothing else than a lot of individual choices.

To be honest I struggle to find the value in an 8gb vram GPU at 1080p. It seems like a huge overkill and adds about 15% cost for potentially 1-2% performance boost. Last I checked the 8gb had no spec difference over the 4gb like in the case of the gtx1060?