Error code: "The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work." From Asus router

DavidGuba

So I get this on my Asus RT-AC87U Router:

"The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work. "

I got this after firmware update and apparently a lot of other people did too. How do I fix this?

I also once in a while get crazy lag spikes in games like League of Legends up to 3000, why is this??? And they last for a long while.

1. What did google searching your question cough up?
  2. What does the error log in your router interface say?
  3. Have you tried rolling back your firmware?

On 12/25/2016 at 7:55 PM, Mug said:
  1. What did google searching your question cough up?
  2. What does the error log in your router interface say?
  3. Have you tried rolling back your firmware?

1. Yes, and the guide didn't work, looking like a 2 year old wrote it and the english wasn't very fluent in it. Did not help. (This was on Asus troubleshooting site).

2. It was just this message "The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work"

3. Yes, I was having this issue before the firmware upgrade and upgraded it hoping something would change.

On 12/25/2016 at 10:51 PM, DavidGuba said:

So I get this on my Asus RT-AC87U Router:

"The WAN IP is not the external IP. External IP-based services will not work. "

I got this after firmware update and apparently a lot of other people did too. How do I fix this?

I also once in a while get crazy lag spikes in games like League of Legends up to 3000, why is this??? And they last for a long while.

I had this same problem. Changing my Routers mode to be a wireless AP [the one where the image is of a firewall connected to the wireless ap] instead of the default. fixed the problem

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2016 at 9:24 PM, Jonathan W said:

I had this same problem. Changing my Routers mode to be a wireless AP [the one where the image is of a firewall connected to the wireless ap] instead of the default. fixed the problem

Yeh but that disables NAT, isn't that a bad thing? And isnt the router supposed to be connected through another router for that option? Mines connected to a modem.

On 12/27/2016 at 9:24 PM, Jonathan W said:

Did this and it fixed my NAT and made it open but now cant access my router settings! when i enter 192.168.1.1 it gives me this

"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

8 hours ago, DavidGuba said:

Did this and it fixed my NAT and made it open but now cant access my router settings! when i enter 192.168.1.1 it gives me this

"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

I dont know anything about the RT-AC68U..I use the 87U..I assume they're similar.
NAT issues really only seem to come up when trying to game on consoles in my experience. I do most of my gaming solo so it's nbd..but you're right, i keep timing out when trying to connect to 192.168.1.1 but luckily I have the app on my phone...

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

9 hours ago, Jonathan W said:

I dont know anything about the RT-AC68U..I use the 87U..I assume they're similar.
NAT issues really only seem to come up when trying to game on consoles in my experience. I do most of my gaming solo so it's nbd..but you're right, i keep timing out when trying to connect to 192.168.1.1 but luckily I have the app on my phone...

ok i fixed the issue, it creates a new ip.

What you need to do is go to command prompt and type ipconfig and it will tell you your ip, type this into your url. Its similar to 192.168.1.1, for example 192.168.0.5