Discovered that there were two wi-fi connections in my house. Would they be conflicting with each other?

LaboonTheWhale

Hey all

Stupid question, so We changed from Verizon to Comcast and we are using that comcast modem/router combo thing. 

We plugged in our usual Linksys EA6400 router and set it up and went on our merry way. I hard wire in so I never check the Wi-fi list but I saw that one day my laptop's IP was a different one. instead of the usual 196. blah blah on linksys routers, it was 10.0. blah blah. So I put in the default gateway and it led me to the Comcast router/modem combo thing. 

So it looks like we are broadcasting two different wifis. one from the comcast modem/router and one from our Linksys. Will this be conflicting with each other? 

for some reason it seams the comcast one is stronger through walls as our Linksys struggles as we go up stairs, but I also prefer the ease of accessibility of linksys router settings. Also Comcast router seems to have a limit on how many ports you can do port forwarding on. (Add new button greys out) 

Is EA6400 that weak of a router? or is it going out? 

8 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

If I were you I'd get the "Wifi Analyser" app and watching this video

This, if they're on the same channel then they are "conflicting" and you should change them to be different i.e. not as clustered together (this also goes for neighboring networks)

10 minutes ago, ChalkChalkson said:

If I were you I'd get the "Wifi Analyser" app and watching this video

1 minute ago, cdsboy2000 said:

This, if they're on the same channel then they are "conflicting" and you should change them to be different i.e. not as clustered together (this also goes for neighboring networks)

Thanks so much. I will hop on this.