Upgrade CPU? Or am I good for another year.

I am running a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3601 Mhz 4 cores. Is this good enough to play the current AAA titles paired with a GTX 1060 6GB? Should I just reapply thermal paste (haven't done that in like 5 years) or should I upgrade it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you and have a nice day.

Wait for zen to release and get a bit cheaper, because you still have a good CPU

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

10 minutes ago, needssdasap said:

I am running a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3601 Mhz 4 cores. Is this good enough to play the current AAA titles paired with a GTX 1060 6GB? Should I just reapply thermal paste (haven't done that in like 5 years) or should I upgrade it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you and have a nice day.

Probably should change the thermal paste. I would overclock it though.

I run a 2500K with a 1070 and probably have some performance loss (I don't game though...I 3D Model). My brother's PC is a 2500K as well with a 1060 6GB and it keeps up just fine, though CPU intensive games will drag it down .

It really depends on what you play.

3 minutes ago, needssdasap said:

I think you're fine for the time being honestly the 2500K is still pretty powerful all things considered.

You'll definitely have to upgrade in the next year or two but I think you can get by with it for awhile longer!

Definitely Reapply TIM if you feel you need it, though that won't affect performance if that's what you're getting at... (Unless your thermal throttling which you would have noticed a long time ago). 

What will affect performance however is overclocking the chip a bit. You're running it at stock and you have an unlocked K version! You can definitely get a bit of free performance out of it with even a small overclock.
Even if you're feeling a bit intimidated about doing it there are many guides that can walk you through the process!

Quick Google search for a guide gave me this which looks pretty promising!

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

17 minutes ago, needssdasap said:

Given Kaby Lake apparently is no great increase over Skylake, you can wait and get a cheap upgrade in 6 months or so.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

28 minutes ago, PigWithAMustache said:

Wait for zen to release and get a bit cheaper, because you still have a good CPU

Ain't nobody got time for a slideshow to be released! 

On a real note, Sandy Bridge is still viable. The GF is using the 2500k from my old rig and performance is alright. 

Awesome, I'll apply new paste and then start looking into some overclocking and see how it'll perform, and then I guess I can upgrade when I feel that it's actually needed. Thanks so much for all of the replies, really helped a lot :D ^_^