Samsung 960 Evo supported?

bostitch

Anyone recommend this CPU (see title)?  Or have alternative suggestions?  What motherboard would you suggest for this?  

I'm looking at installing a smaller SSD 256GB so maybe one with M.2 support.  With a larger standard drive.  I'd also like 4 RAM slots to handle future expansion.  I'll probably throw windows 10 pro on it.  i'm looking to run a few VM's and do some gaming but gaming is a secondary priority.  Can i do this without forking out a lot of cash for a GPU?  Not able to spend a ton.  

I wouldn't recommend a FX-4350. If you're looking for a cheap CPU for VMs, at least do an FX-8300 in there. Any motherboard with a full 8-pin EPS connector can support it, and you could get away with just a GT 730 GDDR5 if the VMs won't be gaming. Or grab a 1050 / 460 for some gaming.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

not sure I understand your intent. 

If you're going to run a few VM's, you'd be better off getting the 8 core variant to spread the cores to each VM. 

If you're building a gaming rig, that CPU is decent low budget option, but springing for an i3-6100 would be my recommendation. 

I know this isn't answering your original question but I would wait for ryren to come out in 2017; you would probably only have to wait a little longer and it would be worth your time. The am4 socket is much, much better than the am3 socket, which is denfinly a last generation technology so motherboard options would also be better.

First of all, FX-8300 is not worth it, if anything it'd be the FX-8320E as far as budget multicore options go on the market at the moment, however it's not worth investing in the AM3+ platform since AM4 comes out next month.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Awesome!  Thanks for all the info.  I'll consider AM4 but am looking at the FX-8350 (thoughts on this choice?) to support my VM plans.  The ASUS 970fx seems a good buy as well.  Any recommendations on a good memory configuration for this?  I was thinking 16GB given my VM plans but not sure what kind to buy. I think the 970 is DDR3.  Also any good GPU's that would support decent gaming but not cost a ton?  I'm also thinking about running Windows 10 pro but would love to know your thoughts on other OS's.

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

I wouldn't recommend a FX-4350. If you're looking for a cheap CPU for VMs, at least do an FX-8300 in there. Any motherboard with a full 8-pin EPS connector can support it, and you could get away with just a GT 730 GDDR5 if the VMs won't be gaming. Or grab a 1050 / 460 for some gaming.

Not really. There is alot of shitty boards for the AM3+ platform. Some of them will even catch fire

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/s8KhP6/msi-motherboard-970aslikraitedition

That board DOES have a EPS 8 pin, Yet it is a 3+1 phase setup, that is so weak, without any safety features like VRM overcurrent protection, MOSFET thermal throttling.

Please, for the love of god. NEVER say "just any AM3+ board is fine"... it is NOT. The lower end of those boards are horrid.

For AM3+ the only boards WORTH buying atm is these

Lowest cost:
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/dxs8TW/asrock-motherboard-970ag31

That is a 2x 4+1 phase setup alongside ALOT of modern features

medium cost:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/jntWGX/asus-motherboard-970progamingaura

The best 970 board there is. A true 6+2 phase DIGI+ VRM setup alongside all the latest bells and whistles.

medium-high cost:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/mC648d/gigabyte-motherboard-ga990fxgaming

The best value board there is atm. a 8+2 VRM setup with all the latest features.

The top dog:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/H28H99/asus-tuf-sabertooth-990fx-r30-atx-am3am3-motherboard-sabertooth-990fx-r30

Hands down the best looking, hands down the most solid quality. Alongside a pure 8+2 DIGI+ VRM setup with the most modern feature set of ANY AM3+ board.

Would this motherboard (ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970) fully support the Samsung 960 EVO data transfer rates?

I'm looking at a FX-8350 chip with the ASUS 970fx motherboard build.  I'm looking at running multiple VM's and doing some gaming as well as other tinkering.  Any recommendations on a good memory configuration for this?  I was thinking 16GB given my VM plans but not sure what kind to buy. I think the 970 is DDR3

Should do yup.

What are you using it for though? If it's just a gaming rig you won't really see that much of a gain over a simple SATA drive.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm looking at a FX-8350 chip with the ASUS 970fx motherboard build.  I'm looking at running multiple VM's and doing some gaming as well as other tinkering.  Do you recommend forking out the cash for Windows 10 pro?  or do you have another OS recommendation.

Got ya, it's gaming and also running multiple VM's.  Should I look for something else?  Any specific recommendations?

9 minutes ago, bostitch said:

I'm looking at a FX-8350 chip with the ASUS 970fx motherboard build.  I'm looking at running multiple VM's and doing some gaming as well as other tinkering.  Any recommendations on a good memory configuration for this?  I was thinking 16GB given my VM plans but not sure what kind to buy. I think the 970 is DDR3

go for 32 GB ram if you want to do many VM and game at the same time. some games can take up to 10 GB of ram,

11 minutes ago, bostitch said:

Got ya, it's gaming and also running multiple VM's.  Should I look for something else?  Any specific recommendations?

You won't really notice any improvement in gaming. Not sure if the VMs would make use of the extra bandwidth or not.

If money's no worry then it is among the best performance you could get.

If you want someone to know you've replied you have to quote them like this. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, smokefest said:

go for 32 GB ram if you want to do many VM and game at the same time. some games can take up to 10 GB of ram,

correct the more you have the more VMs you can run 

but what games take up to 10gb???? the most ive seen is gta5 and just cause 3 using up to 4gb
ive been running 8gb kits for gaming for years lol

10gb for a game sounds like a serious memory leak/ problem

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Don't buy AMD CPUs before the Zen release, they are outdated compared to Skylake.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, mok said:

i would always opt for win10 pro just because it lets you disable automatic windows updates lol

I agree, but I didn't know that Win10 Home didn't allow that?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

16 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

@Prysin Lowest cost is the Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 or S2PV, i dunno how but that mobo can even take a 8 core FX 95W CPU in with a small oc (haven't had the pleasure of experimenting with more). I know someone rocking it for years with his FX6300 OC to 4.4Ghz at 1.55v... Even i had it with an FX4300 at 1.37v with a 4.6 Ghz OC, for about 2 years, hell i even took it to 5Ghz... its crazy...

Also the 970 gaming aura is 7+1 digi+, not 6+2 like the M5A 97FX PRO or the M5A99FX R2.0

yes you can USE it, but that board is a fire hazard.

Just because you can doesnt mean you SHOULD.

you can stab someone just to check how sharp your new knife is. But you really should not.

10 minutes ago, mok said:

but what games take up to 10gb???? the most ive seen is gta5 and just cause 3 using up to 4gb

BF1 = 9.5 gb ram usage

11 minutes ago, mok said:

rise of the tomb raider = 6 gb ram usage

2 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

You took that analogy a bit to far, of course i wouldn't exactly recommend it, especially now since 970 chipset boards dropped quite a lot in price, but i'm just saying that for the tighter of budgets it was for quite some period of time a viable option, and the only one durable option in the low budget mobos, also its still working fine both for me and the person with the FX6300 just fine (for years now), and it didn't catch fire...

actually it is NOT a durable option. Unlike the ASUS boards which ALL has VRM protection

9 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I agree, but I didn't know that Win10 Home didn't allow that?

no plus having local group policy is great for tweaking thisngs

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

32 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You won't really notice any improvement in gaming. Not sure if the VMs would make use of the extra bandwidth or not.

If money's no worry then it is among the best performance you could get.

If you want someone to know you've replied you have to quote them like this. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks!