I have a problem with my WiFi router, any suggestion?

Zero Fox
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,
7 hours ago, harry4742 said:

you are fucked

No @Zero Fox could attempt to disable the WiFi in the all in one box and buy a better access point to handle the WiFI. 

I'm using my Internet/Cable/Phone Provider's All-in-One box, the WiFi is working in 11g/b/n mode and running at 2.4 GHz, and is able to transmit the 100 Mbps download connection that i contract, in the other words the router appear to be descent.

But i got this for maybe months now, the WiFi network randomly disconnect from all the devices using it, and turns back like a minute later, and recently the disconnections are more frequent, is really annoying.

Here's an example of the daily usage of the WiFi network: Usually, me and my family have connected 3 laptops and 4 smartphones to the WiFi, two laptops are usually playing online games, and the other is always downloading and seeding torrents.

How do i stop the disconnection problem?

(If i spell something wrong, I'm sorry, the English is not my prime language)

I would just get your own, the ones ISPs give out are usually crap.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

22 hours ago, Zero Fox said:

I'm using my Internet/Cable/Phone Provider's All-in-One box, the WiFi is working in 11g/b/n mode and running at 2.4 GHz, and is able to transmit the 100 Mbps download connection that i contract, in the other words the router appear to be descent.

But i got this for maybe months now, the WiFi network randomly disconnect from all the devices using it, and turns back like a minute later, and recently the disconnections are more frequent, is really annoying.

Here's an example of the daily usage of the WiFi network: Usually, me and my family have connected 3 laptops and 4 smartphones to the WiFi, two laptops are usually playing online games, and the other is always downloading and seeding torrents.

How do i stop the disconnection problem?

(If i spell something wrong, I'm sorry, the English is not my prime language)

First of all seeding torrents and WiFi is not something you do. Thats probably killing your wireless. My advice is to get rid of the all in one box. They tend to be more trouble then they are worth. Get a Standard DOCSIS cable modem that is rated for your service level. Buy a decent Wireless AC router, which will be dual band. If your phones are Android then I would download WiFi analyzer. Check to see how many networks are in the area and what channels they are using. Use the channel with the least amount of usage. Dont have your router on the floor if you do. Put the router up higher with good line of sight to everything. 

The big issue I see, if your over burdening the WIFi build in to that box with Bit torrent traffic. I remember back in the day, torrenting on WiFi was a pain. There is only so much a router can take. Especially the cheapo ones most ISP's give out. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 23/12/2016 at 4:46 PM, Donut417 said:

First of all seeding torrents and WiFi is not something you do. Thats probably killing your wireless. My advice is to get rid of the all in one box. They tend to be more trouble then they are worth. Get a Standard DOCSIS cable modem that is rated for your service level. Buy a decent Wireless AC router, which will be dual band. If your phones are Android then I would download WiFi analyzer. Check to see how many networks are in the area and what channels they are using. Use the channel with the least amount of usage. Dont have your router on the floor if you do. Put the router up higher with good line of sight to everything. 

The big issue I see, if your over burdening the WIFi build in to that box with Bit torrent traffic. I remember back in the day, torrenting on WiFi was a pain. There is only so much a router can take. Especially the cheapo ones most ISP's give out. 

I see, Thanks for the details.

However that box was part of the contract and is also a cable decoder with a integrated DVR, and a VoIP phone decoder (I'm not sure on how to call that), so you think i can replace all of that features with other devices? Or at least the important ones (Cable TV, Phone and Internet)?

BoxBack.jpg

BoxFront.jpg

50 minutes ago, Zero Fox said:

I see, Thanks for the details.

However that box was part of the contract and is also a cable decoder with a integrated DVR, and a VoIP phone decoder (I'm not sure on how to call that), so you think i can replace all of that features with other devices? Or at least the important ones (Cable TV, Phone and Internet)?

BoxBack.jpg

BoxFront.jpg

you are fucked

7 hours ago, harry4742 said:

you are fucked

No @Zero Fox could attempt to disable the WiFi in the all in one box and buy a better access point to handle the WiFI. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

That's a good idea. I have access to the router's software so i can disable the on-board WiFi.

I understand that torrenting on WiFi is a bad idea, but is still a bad idea even with a good access point handling the WiFi?

14 hours ago, Zero Fox said:

That's a good idea. I have access to the router's software so i can disable the on-board WiFi.

I understand that torrenting on WiFi is a bad idea, but is still a bad idea even with a good access point handling the WiFi?

Last time I torrented on WiFI was with a WRT54G. Which at the time was a good router. It was hell. I had to limit upload like crazy and could only run it at night. 

Thanks to anyone who reply, and have a happy new year!

@Donut417 thank you for all that useful information, that really help me out! :)