Lost crocodile clip for anti-static wrist band, Suggestions?

JackDoyne

I have never used one, and have built/repaired over a hundred pc's. Never fried anything.

IF you are one of those careful people who want to wear one (not judging, you do you bro), either buy a new one online (like $3 on amazon) or go to a hardware store and buy some alligator clips for super cheap.

When in doubt, re-format.

Get a new one?

Get a whole new band?

Bare the end of the wire and wrap it around a bulldog clip?

Edit :- Or you could stop being so paranoid about ESD and not wear one, but as others have said 'do whatever you feel comfortable with'

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Tbh, it depends on where you are building the PC. If on carpet or near pets then its recommended to wear a strap but tbh, you are generally advised not to build a PC on/near them anyway. Basically, as long as you are building the PC on a wooden table or something that will not build up static then you should be alright. BTW, wear shoes if you are standing on carpet or something similar. (Anti-static wrist straps are not vital for a PC build. I have never used one and will probably continue in this way)

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

I'd just suggest just buying another one if possible, they are usually extremely cheap and can be picked up from most local hobby electronics stores such as Jaycar (Australia), Radioshack (US) don't know what the UK equivalent of that is :/

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

I have never used one, and have built/repaired over a hundred pc's. Never fried anything.

IF you are one of those careful people who want to wear one (not judging, you do you bro), either buy a new one online (like $3 on amazon) or go to a hardware store and buy some alligator clips for super cheap.

Yeah it is unlikely you will fry anything but gives you some confidence, especially on a first build.

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

3 minutes ago, Speshul_ said:

I don't know what the UK equivalent of that is :/

Maplins.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=anti-static+strap&x=0&y=0

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Might just wear some shoes then, it's not that it's my first build or anything it's that i'm simply moving my Mobo into a new case and don't want to fry £500-600 of pc parts cause i was moving it to another case, i understand it probably won't happen but i'm one of those if it can happen it'll happen to me kind of guys xD

5 hours ago, JackDoyne said:

Using it for a build in 4 days time, any ideas on what to do? 

Go to Radio Shack buy another crocodile clip, solder wire onto it.

Working on other's PCs, I use a wrist strap, otherwise, I give the grounded PSU a quick flick. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

just washing my hands and letting them air dry does the trick for me also i live in a really humid place(seriously its winter and humidity is over 90) so i have a benefit here