Laptop or Portable Desktop

So after spending a few minutes debating where to put this, I settled on general since the laptop forum was just about laptops and the builds/cases forums were just desktop related. Anyways on to the discussion.

To buy a portable desktop case a la: http://www.theportablepc.com/apolloa3.html (case meaning it comes with the monitor and it's keyboard cover and no internal components and is priced at ~$2,700)

apolloa3main.jpg

Or a similarly priced laptop a la: http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p870dm3-dual-gtx-1080.html (or any laptop $2,000-3,000)

My argument for the portable desktop is that I would transfer my current desktop into it and it would be ready to go with no additional setup like a new computer would require and be able to handle video editing and gaming as well as be upgraded like a normal desktop. I get the price is high but I don't really need another laptop because when I'm done with it. It will just sit next to my macbook pro and be used for web browsing.

Obviously looking for some civil discourse. Also I have discussed this with friends IRL, and only 1 of 4 suggested the laptop so I'm curious what others think.

Third option would be getting NUC or something similar plus light mouse and keyboard + HDMI cable. Since you would need power outlet for dragable desktop anyway, its more likely to be somewhere with TV.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Third option would be getting NUC or something similar plus light mouse and keyboard + HDMI cable. Since you would need power outlet for dragable desktop anyway, its more likely to be somewhere with TV.

The only tv I'd have access to is one I bought so using a nuc to stream across two continents isn't exactly ideal. Hence having this all in one unit.

10 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You could build your own <15L case computer and get a portable monitor if you really need one. It could save you about $1000 or more.

I recently started looking into doing that. It would be a lot cheaper but I was having a hard time finding a case for my atx motherboard and 12in graphics card that would fit in one of those carry cases. I will definitely continue researching this though. Thanks for reminding me!

35 minutes ago, Montana1176 said:

The only tv I'd have access to is one I bought so using a nuc to stream across two continents isn't exactly ideal. Hence having this all in one unit.

I recently started looking into doing that. It would be a lot cheaper but I was having a hard time finding a case for my atx motherboard and 12in graphics card that would fit in one of those carry cases. I will definitely continue researching this though. Thanks for reminding me!

Silverstone's FTZ01, RVZ01, and RVZ02 and Fractal Design's Node 202 can fit a 12" card.

Also "ATX" motherboard, as in a regular ATX motherboard? Portable and ATX don't mix to be honest. :/ Micro ATX is the biggest you should consider.

Yes just regular ATX. I'm transplanting my current build into another case. I didn't plan my build for portability when I built it hence this situation :P 

25 minutes ago, Montana1176 said:

Yes just regular ATX. I'm transplanting my current build into another case. I didn't plan my build for portability when I built it hence this situation :P 

In that case laptop would be better option.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

laptop. But the laptop you picked is more of a desktop anyways with its battery life

Don't worry about battery life. I'll have power and I've owned desktop replacement laptops before.

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

In that case laptop would be better option.

To me its not a clear answer. Like I said in the original post any laptop will become just some random extra computer lying around and mostly be used for web browsing. Personally having the first option seems more worth it since I can upgrade every component with ease where I'm stuck with the components I get in the laptop.

1 hour ago, Montana1176 said:

Like I said in the original post any laptop will become just some random extra computer lying around and mostly be used for web browsing. Personally having the first option seems more worth it since I can upgrade every component with ease where I'm stuck with the components I get in the laptop.

It seems that you have made up your mind, perhaps even without noticing it. It might be best for you to go with a SFF build. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 hours ago, Montana1176 said:

To me its not a clear answer. Like I said in the original post any laptop will become just some random extra computer lying around and mostly be used for web browsing. Personally having the first option seems more worth it since I can upgrade every component with ease where I'm stuck with the components I get in the laptop.

Problem is that like @M.Yurizaki said, ATX and portable don't belong into same sentence. I would argue that even mATX as portable option is stretching it. So you need to do some shopping to achieve. Good thing is that used hardware is cheaper and you can reuse most of your current components. PSU is another part I'd think about changing. Unless your current is already semi-/full-modular. Seasonic and Silverstone have some nice shorter PSUs for smaller builds.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I built one myself. Had some spare vesa mounting screws, a spare budget gaming machine and monitor. I put a power strip inside the machine and wired it up. I used it as a portable gaming rig. Worked pretty well, wasnt balanced to well, had to put a book under the monitor side to angle it better. KB and mouse slide in between the monitor and case. But yea, had a 7950 in it, 22" samsung monitor. It got the job done at the lan parties. Its nice coming home from late night lan parties and not having to put your rig all back together. I sold this and just bought an alienware. 

FB_IMG_1482420133624.jpg

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)