Noise Canceling headphones recommendation

POSIX23

I want to buy a good pair of noise canceling headphones for airplanes traveling. My budget: under $500. Right now, I'm looking at the Momentum Wireless and PXC 550 Wireless but if you know any other pair, please suggest me. Thanks in advance

AUDIO:

- Desktop: Sennheiser GSX 1000 --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Nintendo Switch: LG 29UM68-P --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Portable (Wired): LG V30+ --> Audio-Technica CKR70, Ostry KC06A

- Portable (Wireless): Samsung Galaxy S10+ --> Sennheiser PXC 550, Sony WF-1000XM3, Samsung Buds

Specifically, in-ear, on-ear or over-ear?

What type of sound signature do you like?

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Specifically, in-ear, on-ear or over-ear?

What type of sound signature do you like?

Oh yeah, I forgot those. I prefer over-ears and because I listen to all kind of music so I would prefer a well-rounded one.

AUDIO:

- Desktop: Sennheiser GSX 1000 --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Nintendo Switch: LG 29UM68-P --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Portable (Wireless): Samsung Galaxy S10+ --> Sennheiser PXC 550, Sony WF-1000XM3, Samsung Buds

1 minute ago, tlhan said:

QC35 from Bose. nuff' said.

But I've heard they don't have really good sound signature right?

AUDIO:

On 12/20/2016 at 8:20 PM, ToanZodiac said:

Oh yeah, I forgot those. I prefer over-ears and because I listen to all kind of music so I would prefer a well-rounded one.

You're going to be using these with your phone I'm assuming?

On 12/20/2016 at 8:20 PM, tlhan said:

QC35 from Bose. nuff' said.

They're wildly overpriced for what you're getting, and the active noise cancellation is a gimmick.

Yes, I am

AUDIO:

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

They're wildly overpriced for what you're getting, and the active noise cancellation is a gimmick.

Do you own a pair? Don't pull things out of ur ass if you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Bose QC25 or 35 if you want wireless. The new sony MDR-1000X is also class-leading. Some people claim better than Bose.

10 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Do elaborate on the "negative" experience you had with a $2 knockoff ANC headphone.

On 12/20/2016 at 8:33 PM, SSL said:

Do elaborate on the "negative" experience you had with a $2 knockoff ANC headphone.

I tried them, or something similar in Best Buy recently since I saw they had something new out on the display. While it sounded fine, I didn't think it was worth the money. Then the noise canceling stuff isn't really necessary since the pads would seal just fine and whatever you're listening to would drown out outside noise for the most part anyways. I've also never been a fan of Bose's build quality.

On 12/20/2016 at 8:26 PM, tlhan said:

Do you own a pair? Don't pull things out of ur ass if you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

No, but I believe I tried them, or something similar to the model at a Best Buy (like I said above). I can't confirm if they were the exact model that you tried - I have to go back in a couple days so I can look again while I'm there. For $350 I don't think they're worth it, but that's just my opinion.

The QC25 and 35 are just the wireless models - the ones they had on display were the wired ones that I could plug into my phone. If they're somehow completely different aside from them being Bluetooth then excuse me for being ignorant of that fact.

On 12/20/2016 at 8:24 PM, ToanZodiac said:

Yes, I am

Well, I just discovered that the Philips headphones that I tried before are now discontinued. They were fine for the money, but they were nothing close to being $500 or even $300 like the recommended Bose pair from the other poster.

I have tried the wired Momentums, so if the wireless ones are anything like them they would be great. I'd pay the extra for those over the Bose ones personally.

Then the noise canceling stuff isn't really necessary since the pads would seal just fine and whatever you're listening to would drown out outside noise for the most part anyways.

I'm not sure if you've every tried to listen to music on a 8 hour flight, but you can damage your hearing if you try to drown out ambient noise with just music.

On 12/20/2016 at 8:50 PM, SSL said:

I'm not sure if you've every tried to listen to music on a 8 hour flight, but you can damage your hearing if you try to drown out ambient noise with just music.

Not with over-ear ones, no. I've personally always used in-ears while I'm not at home. The last time I flew I was using my SE-215s with the comply tips which did the job and I didn't have to have the volume extremely high at all.

If they do make that big of a difference for flights, then my bad. I still think for $350 Bose could up their build quality a notch.