Hardware recommendations, for a 2 gamers 1 cpu like system

alizaidi2000

A friend of mine, has just recently ascended the master race, because i have glorified him with the performance of my pc. Anyways, after he had been glorified, he decided he wants to become  a twitch and youtube streamer (idk, why though lol). So, he asked me to help with his setup. I was thinking maybe we could do a 2 gamers 1 cpu like system. Where 1 vm would be his basic gaming rig and the other vm would be running at the same time, but would also be capturing his video stream or video editing, simultaneously. So, i recommended him that, now i am looking for hardware recommendations, for that system. His budget is around $3000. What specs would you guys recommend for such a system, i was thinking we could skimp a little when it comes to the video editing vm and not use an insanely powerful gpu for that system. But, what do you guys think?

You are better off getting two seperate systems to do this, not only is it cheaper, but easier to setup, and deal with altogether.

Most capture cards recommend an i5 at minimum so if you want an i7 level performance out of the "gaming" vm you are down to the 6900k, or 6950x with their eight cores, and lots of pcie lanes, 32gb of ram, a motherboard with 4 pcie slots, three gpus (one for the hypervisor), and a capture card most likely which will have to be passed into a vm not sure if this is even possible. 

I would suggest build a regular rig with 

a 6700k and such, and have a smaller i5 based system on the side to capture the video, and use to stream from.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Not only two systems would be cheaper and easier to setup, but I'd recommend getting only one of them and doing like most mortals do, which is everything on one windows OS simultaneously. Either an i7 6800k, 6850k or if you want even a 6900k, paired with a powerful gpu will do the trick. I could stream with my 4770k, and simply see no reason to build two systems.

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

As @SLAYR said 2 physical systems should be better than a VM one specially for a new and such a high budget (it could be done with a 6900k for example but it involves lots of fucking around with Linux, not exactly newb friendly)

Plus it's a great excuse to use the Phanteks Entho Minx XL dual system case so he can house the gaming and the editing rig on the same case, PC part picker list coming give me some minutes

A-Case-That-Can-Hold-Two-Computers-the-P

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

As @SLAYR said 2 physical systems should be better than a VM one specially for a new and such a high budget (it could be done with a 6900k for example but it involves lots of fucking around with Linux, not exactly newb friendly)

Plus it's a great excuse to use the Phanteks Entho Minx XL dual system case so he can house the gaming and the editing rig on the same case, PC part picker list coming give me some minutes

A-Case-That-Can-Hold-Two-Computers-the-P

I like this idea, the main reason why i suggested him the 2 gamers, 1 cpu like system was mainly because so that he could have both systems in one tower. I guess i could mod a router or switch, external hdd and lattepanda in there to get a shared drive on both systems. Thank you. 

Theres also those Coolermaster stacker cases. They would be nice for two systems

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

1 hour ago, Moress said:

Theres also those Coolermaster stacker cases. They would be nice for two systems

That could also be an option, infact that would work better for his needs, just did not remember that until know. However, they always seem to be out of stock, anyone know where they are actually in stock?

2 minutes ago, alizaidi2000 said:

That could also be an option, infact that would work better for his needs, just did not remember that until know. However, they always seem to be out of stock, anyone know where they are actually in stock?

I dont think theres much demand for them honestly. Theyre main niche are builds like this and thays pretty small

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Yeah i get that, but they are like always out of stock so it's like impossible to get one. But i'm just wondering where are they not out of stock?