Need help choosing PSU and between 1070 or 1080

Exansis

What makes me want to upgrade.

Hi, 4-5 months ago my PSU died on me. then customer support sent me a new one and then just 2-3 weeks ago my pc smelled like it was burning and it shut down. It most likely fried my GPU. Because the pc runs fine whenever i take out the GPU(using on-board graphics for ligther use) but nothing happens when i try to power on with GPU in. But anyway i sent in the GPU so they can have a look at it. Hoping they will give me a new GPU(cross fingers for a free 1060? because they don't sell 780's anymore from that site).

What i plan to upgrade.

I am getting a better PSU no matter what. i have had way to much trouble in 5 months or just gotten really unlucky. But i have no idea who makes good PSU, how much Watt i need(depends on what GPU i end up with i guess) or how much i have to spend for a good one. All i know is that i prefer modular PSU because my Case is small.

If i have to buy a new GPU i will probably end up going for a 1070. A 1080 is a bit overkill for me atm since i only got a 1080p monitor. But if i were to get a 1440p monitor in the comming year the 1080 would be more tempting.

I have been meaning to upgrade to 16g ram for a while, but is there any point for me to get 32 or more? apart from gaming i just use adobe lightroom and photoshop, maybe some light video editing here and there.

when it comes to CPU i think i have to wait. upgrading to skylake means new motherboard. and at that point i have basically bought a new pc. and i simply can't afford it.

Current spec:

MSI Z97M Gaming. 1150-socket

i5-4690k

EVGA GTX 780 3GB

Corsair CX 600M, 80 Plus Bronze

8GB DDR3 1600MHz, HyperX Fury

BitFenix Phenom M

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

1TB HDD

256 SSD

Let me take you to the mountain!!

Pretty much sums it up.

I'm just a norwegien skier/snowboarder addicted to pow.

the 1080 is actually really overkill - i don't think anyone would really need a 1080 unless they want 200 fps in ultra - the 1070 should be more than enough for a AAA title on ultra for maybe 100 plus fps

also, 32 gb ram is really only used for programming or CAD - if you do some art design, there's no point. i use 32gb of ram at 80 percent when im running 4 windows server VMs and compiling a huge coding project - so no, 16 should be fine - also, as far as psus go, talk to @STRMfrmXMN for more detailed info - i can only say that the rmi and axi from corsair are good and the g2/gs from evga too

PSU: 80 plus rated 750W is a good choice, even overkill. I think 550W would be cutting it close. Any PSU with a recognizable name (Corsair, EVGA, Silverstone, CM) is going to be fine if it has an 80 plus rating of bronze or better.

GPU: My GTX 970 works great on my 1440p monitor. I can hang around 60 fps on very high settings in demanding games like Witcher 3, and get much higher in less demanding games (if my monitor supported higher frame rates) For single monitor 1440p I think a 1070 would be very adequate. 

If the RAM issue isn't bothering you, don't upgrade. I am the kind of person who keeps multiple desktops with many google tabs each just kinda sitting there for when I get back to it, so I go up to 16GB. But you can probably wait till you get a new processor/board and get 16GB of DDR4 when the time comes.

6 minutes ago, Bustapalapeno said:

PSU: 80 plus rated 750W is a good choice, even overkill. I think 550W would be cutting it close. Any PSU with a recognizable name (Corsair, EVGA, Silverstone, CM) is going to be fine if it has an 80 plus rating of bronze or better.

GPU: My GTX 970 works great on my 1440p monitor. I can hang around 60 fps on very high settings in demanding games like Witcher 3, and get much higher in less demanding games (if my monitor supported higher frame rates) For single monitor 1440p I think a 1070 would be very adequate. 

If the RAM issue isn't bothering you, don't upgrade. I am the kind of person who keeps multiple desktops with many google tabs each just kinda sitting there for when I get back to it, so I go up to 16GB. But you can probably wait till you get a new processor/board and get 16GB of DDR4 when the time comes.

No just no

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Get an EVGA GS/G2/GQ 650w

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

Your built is complete overkill and u'ill end up blowing ur built with that PSU.

with my current specs or if i upgraded to 1070? 

Pretty much sums it up.

1 minute ago, Thread212 said:

If u upgraded with 1080 and 32Gb of ram.

Well if you read the thread you would see that i am looking to upgrade to a better PSU. so i wouldn't have the old corsair if i ended up going for a 1080 and 32gb. But i think i have settled on a 1070 and just 16gb of ram

Pretty much sums it up.

57 minutes ago, Exansis said:

What makes me want to upgrade.

Hi, 4-5 months ago my PSU died on me. then customer support sent me a new one and then just 2-3 weeks ago my pc smelled like it was burning and it shut down. It most likely fried my GPU. Because the pc runs fine whenever i take out the GPU(using on-board graphics for ligther use) but nothing happens when i try to power on with GPU in. But anyway i sent in the GPU so they can have a look at it. Hoping they will give me a new GPU(cross fingers for a free 1060? because they don't sell 780's anymore from that site).

What i plan to upgrade.

I am getting a better PSU no matter what. i have had way to much trouble in 5 months or just gotten really unlucky. But i have no idea who makes good PSU, how much Watt i need(depends on what GPU i end up with i guess) or how much i have to spend for a good one. All i know is that i prefer modular PSU because my Case is small.

If i have to buy a new GPU i will probably end up going for a 1070. A 1080 is a bit overkill for me atm since i only got a 1080p monitor. But if i were to get a 1440p monitor in the comming year the 1080 would be more tempting.

I have been meaning to upgrade to 16g ram for a while, but is there any point for me to get 32 or more? apart from gaming i just use adobe lightroom and photoshop, maybe some light video editing here and there.

when it comes to CPU i think i have to wait. upgrading to skylake means new motherboard. and at that point i have basically bought a new pc. and i simply can't afford it.

Current spec:

MSI Z97M Gaming. 1150-socket

i5-4690k

EVGA GTX 780 3GB

Corsair CX 600M, 80 Plus Bronze

8GB DDR3 1600MHz, HyperX Fury

BitFenix Phenom M

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

1TB HDD

256 SSD

If you want 1440p, the 1070 will work fine. Going with the 1080 wouldn't be such a bad idea if you could afford it and you have extra performance to record or stream if you are that type of person. Light video editing, lightroom and photoshop, you don't need a 1080 for that. I can do that on my laptop with intel HD 4000. It is not that fun because of slow performance when previewing but my point is, you don't need very powerful graphics to do it. I would recommend the 1070. Also if you are planning on next year, it depends on how soon you want it but wait for NVidia 11 series GPUs to be released. Don't worry about CPU upgrades because CPUs don't matter as much as people think. Your current CPU will be fine for most things. I would recommend switching to a 2 TB HDD soon after though because it is getting to the point where some games just won't fit on it without taking up all your storage. (I'm looking at you new Call of Duty game that I can't name off the top of my head) If you are not a gamer though, Don't worry about 2TB right now. As for a power supply, go on PCPartPicker, start a new build, go to power supply, do 80+ gold, platinum and titanium because sometimes you find great deals on the cheaper ones, sort by price and select the one you need. Rosewill makes some very cheap 80+ platinum ones for what you would usually find 80+ being sold for.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )