Best way to avoid procrastination?

13 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

Moreover talking about the flexibility that the field provides was in response to the draconian regime that you suggested.

I think for folks who lack the ability of self-discipline, flexibility sometimes does more damage than good. So yeah, we can agree to disagree with the approach. All I know is that if something's not working out, you have to intervene and change things around a little bit. I've personally known engineers who burnt themselves out due to too much flexibility. Not everyone's a leader by default. Some people are followers and tend to function better in a well defined environment.

17 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

If it's cancer then cut it out no? Lest it eats more and more into one's profits. Of course that's difficult in a large organisation so perhaps one should instead be looking at the fundamentals once again

I agree completely. If it's a cancer, cut it out. I believe the upbringing of the newer generation is just a bit different. For example, when I was in high school, if you brought in a pager or a walk-man to school it got confiscated and your parents got called let alone a cellphone (if you were rich enough). Such things were simply not socially acceptable. Kids in general had a bit more discipline and generally paid more attention (in my experience at least). Today though, I can't say the same... Kids feel entitled to their phones and social media life, it's OK in schools, class, lab, anywhere. If you tell a high school kid in America now a days that they're not allowed to have their phone, they will literally throw a huge tantrum! The culture and the overall behavior is changing drastically. The fundamentals of the issue is deeply rooted, well beyond the scope of an employer or an engineering firm. I wish we can figure out a way to stop employees from wasting time on Facebook on the job, it would certainly boost productivity.

24 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

You are beginning to remind me of one of those people that looks at the end of one's finger when they try to point something out for them... -_-

With regard to this whole joke thing, I genuinely didn't get it initially, I read it wrong / backwards (sounded like an attack). That's all. So yeah, as I said before I'm dropping it.

26 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

I was saying that I was looking forward to discussing various subjects such as engineering theory, principals, practices, methodologies, architecture and all things related with you; since you claimed over a decades worth of experience that is.

Again, since I thought your joke was initially an attack I read the overall tone of your posts wrong. You did initially start with sarcasm which didn't help. Anyways, if that's what you meant, then I apologize for getting defensive.

19 minutes ago, Darkangel86 said:

Not everyone's a leader by default. Some people are followers and tend to function better in a well defined environment.

That's true.

I agree completely. If it's a cancer, cut it out. I believe the upbringing of the newer generation is just a bit different. For example, when I was in high school, if you brought in a pager or a walk-man to school it got confiscated and your parents got called let alone a cellphone (if you were rich enough). Such things were simply not socially acceptable. Kids in general had a bit more discipline and generally paid more attention (in my experience at least). Today though, I can't say the same... Kids feel entitled to their phones and social media life, it's OK in schools, class, lab, anywhere. If you tell a high school kid in America now a days that they're not allowed to have their phone, they will literally throw a huge tantrum! The culture and the overall behavior is changing drastically. The fundamentals of the issue is deeply rooted, well beyond the scope of an employer or an engineering firm. I wish we can figure out a way to stop employees from wasting time on Facebook on the job, it would certainly boost productivity.

Indeed it was a different ethos back then even in public schools. Moreover the technology simply didn't exist or was not as accessible as you pointed out. I'm just glad that the system that I have my two enrolled in adheres to very high standards so when they are permitted they are restricted for emergency and free time use only.

With regard to this whole joke thing, I genuinely didn't get it initially, I read it wrong / backwards (sounded like an attack). That's all. So yeah, as I said before I'm dropping it.

Again, since I thought your joke was initially an attack I read the overall tone of your posts wrong. You did initially start with sarcasm which didn't help. Anyways, if that's what you meant, then I apologize for getting defensive.

Sorry I find sarcasm to be a great survival tool in the industry xD

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

43 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

Sorry I find sarcasm to be a great survival tool in the industry xD

Haha, huge difference online v.s. face-to-face!

Try to make a promise to yourself to accomplish whatever it is you want to accomplish and tell someone about it. Tell them to slap you if you fail. Real risk helps make procrastination go down faster.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:48 AM, Nuluvius said:

An increasing level of procrastination can be a sign of impending burnout. If this is the case then a complete cessation of the activity for a short period of time to focus on something else can be helpful.

What if the burnout is from school work but also from hobbies?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

What if the burnout is from school work but also from hobbies?

Then find something else to do... The idea is to completely change your environment and activities for a time. Sleep is also a very important component to a developer and one that is quite easy to neglect, intentionally or otherwise. Time of day matters quite a lot as well.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.