Study finds American internet prices are "too damn high"

Cam_Is_Me

Here is the artcle: http://www.businessinsider.com/america-has-terrible-internet-service-2013-10

The article cites a study that looks at several large cities in the US and compares the internet prices to other around the world, basically finds what we all already know, and finds that Asian cities (Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong) have some of the best priced and fastest internet speeds, while the US (might as well throw in Canada and Australia too) lag far behind.  One of only few exceptions to the study results was (you probably already guessed it) Google Fiber. 

With that said, how much do you guys pay for your internet connections?

I'm currently paying $55 dollars/mo for 15mbps and live pretty close towards the center of Oklahoma.

Paying 10$ for 15megabit

im paying 80+ for 25 Mb/s down and 2 Mb/s up  <_<

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

$100+ for 20mb down 2 up

But that price also includes TV and phone

FX 6300 - MSI 7870 Ghz - M5A97 R2.0 - Team Vulcan 8GB - WD Caviar Blue 1TB - Rosewill HIVE 550w - NZXT Source 210 (white) - Loud Fans

Peripherals - Logitech G105 - Cobra mouse - Acer G236HL - Logitech desktop mic - Logitech LS21 - Audio Technica ATH-M30

Laptop - Acer Aspire V3 - A84500m - 7670m - 15.6" screen (1366x768) - 3.5GB DDR3  - 500GB Scorpio Blue

Then you realize every Canadian would kill for US telecom pricing…

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

You can get 200mbps in thailand for $55. However, the quality is a lot worst, connecting to foreign websites will still takes forever. The only thing it is good at is torrenting.

I still cant belive im paying $100 for my mobile phone plan with 1of internet.. i cant even 9gag daily!!!

"obligatory comment remind everyone about Australia, the first world country with third world internet."

Seriously, stupid study is stupid. the Americans doing these studies need to stop whinging, and remember they're comparing themselves to smaller countries with a more dense population, higher density=more affordable high speed internet for ISP (not even talking about the end user here copper and fibre ain't cheap to lay, and ain't cheap in general when copper)

also. my speed test
3017609608.png
to
2966523992.png
those are my highest and lowest speedtests sits on average just below 2
I pay $99 a month for it, and 1TB of data (like I'll ever hit that)

And as anyone in my ts3 will tell you, my packet loss can be over 80% and my ping can hit 9999^

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

120 up 40 down 63 euro's include tv and telephone

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Paying $45 for 30/15 up/down. That's going to double in about a year and a half (I got a good two-year deal).

I won't like paying $90 for the same speed, but I can afford it, very much like the internet speed I have, and I use it. I also don't have phone or cable service, so I can justify it.

Especially since the few TV/moves I do watch are online, I don't need cable. Definitely don't need a landline.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

3067744629.png

Here in the Uk we pay £28 for this, it was £45 down yesterday

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I'm paying $50 to 6 megabit Internet. They are overpriced

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

How's $48 for 5MB down and 5MB up sounds like? :lol:

$40 CAD for 25/5 up here :S

could be way worse, just got lucky finding a small local company with a good reputation

3Mbps Down (throttled to 1.5Mbps from 8pm to 12am on some days of the week)

1Mbps Up

$30

Verizon says there's no faster plan for my location, even if I wanted to paid more.

My friend a block away has 50/25 Fios service. It's really frustrating.

:/

60mbs down 12 up for $80... i guess im lucky, im the only one in my house with a pc too....

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

50down/3up mbps for $50 per month. Though it never actually seems to be 50mbps more like 35-40 mbps. And the up speed is always below 2mbps.

i would trade my 100mb/s up/down (15$) for your lack of VAT. (24% here)

the man in black

currently paying HKD$336 (~$43) for 100m fibre in Hong Kong, without contract.With contract I could have 1000m fiber with the money I paid.

Btw,the price of broadband of Hong Kong in that report is not the best deal u could get. There is no fixed price of broadband here in Hong Kong, the price is variated with isps, locations and type of housing. For example if u are living in public housing, u could have 1000m as cheap as around HKD$208(~$27), while u may only hace adsl/vdsl if u were living in country side...

This will go good with this topic

pcrui.jpg

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

3068367016.png

Paying $50/mo. I really wish I had better upload speeds. 

Sadly the only other options where I live is some crappy local ISPs and AT&T.

One of the terrible local ISPs we have around here:

UYBfnVW.png

<_<

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole