Lasik/Laser eye surgery, could use some help.

TetraSky

Some back story first:

3 days ago I went for a free appointment at Lasik MD to know if I was a candidate for Lasik.

I was told, by the Ophthalmologist working there, that because I have Hyperopia +4.50 (farsightedness)  in one eye I may not be a candidate(limit is +4), but because I also have Astigmatism +1.x (don't remember the exact value) in that same eye, it apparently make it so I could be a candidate and they would call me up on this if their surgeon can do it or not.

Fast forward a day, I get a call saying that they can do it, but there's a high regression risk (something like 40%).

Now I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't know if I should go through with it (it's still going to cost me $3500 after all) or just fuck it all and keep my glasses for life...

I tried googling regression risk for hyperopia, but most of what came up were articles from 10 years ago, surely technology changed since then... right?

Has anyone else here actually went through Lasik and were in a similar situation where they may or may not be a candidate due to "high risk", but still went through with it and got positive results despite of the high risk odds?

I'm just totally scared that it will somehow fuck up my vision even more, so much so that even glasses won't help for that... And that's just for one eye, the other is perfectly fine for the operation apparently.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

41 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Some back story first:

3 days ago I went for a free appointment at Lasik MD to know if I was a candidate for Lasik.

I was told that because I have Hyperopia +4.50 (farsightedness)  in one eye I may not be a candidate(limit is +4), but also because I have Astigmatism +1.x (don't remember the exact value) in that same eye, it apparently make it so I could be a candidate and they would call me up on this if their surgeon can do it or not.

Fast forward a day, I get a call saying that they can do it, but there's a high regression risk (something like 40%).

Now I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't know if I should go through with it (it's still going to cost me $3500 after all) or just fuck it all and keep my glasses for life...

I tried googling regression risk for hyperopia, but most of what came up were articles from 10 years ago, surely technology changed since then... right?

Has anyone else here actually went through Lasik and were in a similar situation where they may or may not be a candidate due to "high risk", but still went through with it and got positive results despite of the high risk odds?

I'm just totally scared that it will somehow fuck up my vision even more, so much so that even glasses won't help for that... And that's just for one eye, the other is perfectly fine for the operation apparently.

I would speak to your regular optometrist about these risks. You need an expert who can lend you their ear, then give you sound advice.

I would also speak to the Lasik Surgeon about all of your concerns.

Lasik itself is incredibly safe these days - not to say no risk, but it's refined enough that there's very little risk. So, I would assume regression means the eye deteriorates back to it's original state. I doubt it will ruin your vision or make it so glasses won't help, but that's something to ask a medical professional, not an online tech forum - unless one of our members happens to be an optometrist (And even then, I'd not trust them about something this important).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would speak to your regular optometrist about these risks. You need an expert who can lend you their ear, then give you sound advice.

I would also speak to the Lasik Surgeon about all of your concerns.

Lasik itself is incredibly safe these days - not to say no risk, but it's refined enough that there's very little risk. So, I would assume regression means the eye deteriorates back to it's original state. I doubt it will ruin your vision or make it so glasses won't help, but that's something to ask a medical professional, not an online tech forum - unless one of our members happens to be an optometrist (And even then, I'd not trust them about something this important).

Oh I'm aware that I should ask my optometrist/lasik surgeon, and I will next week. I mostly wanted to know if anyone else here went through something similar.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Oh I'm aware that I should ask my optometrist/lasik surgeon, and I will next week. I mostly wanted to know if anyone else here went through something similar.

Both my roommate and my Fiancee had Lasik, but neither had as bad vision as you did, and neither had any issues with the doctor saying they were high risk or anything. shrugs

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)