Is the Razer Blade (1060) good yet?

Hey guys! I snagged an alienware 15r3 but it was plagued with thermal issues which appears to be a widespread problem. Doesn't bode well for AW's qc, so I began to look at literally the only windows laptop I could find with comparable performance AND build quality, the New Razer Blade. 

I found via google that it has it's own issues- users saying the 1060 does not perform up to snuff with other notebooks that have one.

What gives? I heard rumours that it may be fixed via a driver update. Has that happened?

Can any owners weigh in on their experience with the issues?

3 minutes ago, harrisonjr98 said:

Hey guys! I snagged an alienware 15r3 but it was plagued with thermal issues which appears to be a widespread problem. Doesn't bode well for AW's qc, so I began to look at literally the only windows laptop I could find with comparable performance AND build quality, the New Razer Blade. 

I found via google that it has it's own issues- users saying the 1060 does not perform up to snuff with other notebooks that have one.

What gives? I heard rumours that it may be fixed via a driver update. Has that happened?

I bought it today, I got it more because its super slick 

RIG: CPU: i7-5930K 4.5GHz GPU: EVGA GTX 980 TI Superclocked 6GB RAM: 16GB DDR4 Motherboard: Msi X99S SLI Krait Edition Storage: 128GB SSD 2TB HDD

Just now, MartinWake said:

I bought it today, I got it more because its super slick 

That's important to me too, and another reason why I was sad to settle with the 15r3 thinking I might have to compromise dimensions for performance.

I don't care about the soldered ram and storage in the blade like most people - it's a sensible space-saving measure that allows the new blade to be so thin and light.

What I do care about is that the aforementioned non-upgradeable components perform as advertised.

6 minutes ago, harrisonjr98 said:

That's important to me too, and another reason why I was sad to settle with the 15r3 thinking I might have to compromise dimensions for performance.

I don't care about the soldered ram and storage in the blade like most people - it's a sensible space-saving measure that allows the new blade to be so thin and light.

What I do care about is that the aforementioned non-upgradeable components perform as advertised.

In most laptops, there is going to be a certain degree of thermal throttling.

It's more pronounced in the blade since it's so thin, but I don't think the difference is particularly noticeable. 

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

3 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

In most laptops, there is going to be a certain degree of thermal throttling.

It's more pronounced in the blade since it's so thin, but I don't think the difference is particularly noticeable. 

Here is a thread that seems to address the issue I'm talking about specifically, even though it offers a seemingly stupid and dangerous fix.

what @harrisonjr98 said seems promising

MSI GS63VR is a good alternative BTW

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, Shiv78 said:

what @harrisonjr98 said seems promising

MSI GS63VR is a good alternative BTW

I've looked at that. Not a fan of the build quality if I'm honest. The 15R3 was built like a tank but still- it could have been better. The reason I like the blade is that it's all metal.

3 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

What's wrong with the build quality of the GS63?

Also why does it have to be all metal? are you going to be throwing it down stairs and swinging it around? just because it's made of metal, doesn't mean it's better build quality.

I don't know man- call me picky, but I played with it a bit in Best Buy and just wasn't a huge fan of the fit and finish for the price point. Also not a huge fan of the font on the keyboard, though I know that's the kind of nitpicking I'd get a lot of hate for.

AWs QC problems are much smaller than Razers. Furthermore the Blade 1060 is power throttled and thermal throttles. Then you also have the shitty support that is up to no good at all.

A AW 15r3 with a 1060 would performe better than a blade 1060.

I would just keep the 15r3 and then just send it back if you have a warped heat sink. Dell support people are super nice and understanding.

Yes the thermal issue on a 15r3 is only there if you get one with a warped heat sink, if you get one with a no heat sink problem, then the temps are fine. With the blade 1060 always have thermal problems, and there are basically nothing you can do about it with the blade.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 hours ago, harrisonjr98 said:

snip

Just send your AW15 off to iunlock or mobius1 to get it repasted and modded. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

AWs QC problems are much smaller than Razers. Furthermore the Blade 1060 is power throttled and thermal throttles. Then you also have the shitty support that is up to no good at all.

A AW 15r3 with a 1060 would performe better than a blade 1060.

I would just keep the 15r3 and then just send it back if you have a warped heat sink. Dell support people are super nice and understanding.

Yes the thermal issue on a 15r3 is only there if you get one with a warped heat sink, if you get one with a no heat sink problem, then the temps are fine. With the blade 1060 always have thermal problems, and there are basically nothing you can do about it with the blade.

Yeah I've heard that there is going to be a second manufacturing run of the 15R3 without the problem. I'll probably stick with my old laptop and wait for the new run of R3s.

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

Just send your AW15 off to iunlock or mobius1 to get it repasted and modded. 

wait are their legit shops over there that does that? Please come to Denmark, so I don't have to do it

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, harrisonjr98 said:

Yeah I've heard that there is going to be a second manufacturing run of the 15R3 without the problem. I'll probably stick with my old laptop and wait for the new run of R3s.

well Dell has been out a couple of times and said that they had fixed something, but it wasn't fixed, so I would not hold my breath too much, but you never know.

Off-topic:

I'm new to Windows again, what's the best Antivirus?

Trying to get something that'll keep me protected w/o bogging down performance.

47 minutes ago, LoveGamers said:

Off-topic:

I'm new to Windows again, what's the best Antivirus?

Trying to get something that'll keep me protected w/o bogging down performance.

now THAT I can answer! Windows Defender + Malwarebytes used as needed.

5 minutes ago, harrisonjr98 said:

now THAT I can answer! Windows Defender + Malwarebytes used as needed.

Thanks!

Btw the way, I bought an RB from HIDevolution w/ 960 pro, just shipped yesterday.

QC issues happen with every brand, on the scale of all the people who've bought the laptop I'd say that most didn't experience too many issues if they experienced any at all, forums are the vocal minority. The main issue right now is the fan noise, and Razer said they would push an update out for that in the near future.

2 hours ago, LoveGamers said:

I'd say that most didn't experience too many issues if they experienced any at all, forums are the vocal minority.

Well to be fair, most people off forums (and even on forums), aren't qualified to form an opinion. Most guys never check their temps, never test their machines, never look at internals to see if something is fucked about the machine, and just say fuck it, it's fine. 

2 hours ago, LoveGamers said:

Razer said they would push an update out for that in the near future.

Nothing they can do about it. Fan noise goes down, temps go up. They pushed a EC firmware to try and stop throttling so fans had to go up hard. 

On a more serious note, what services did you get from HID?

Laptop Main

Blade late 2016 CPU throttling bug is fixed on my unit that I flashed. Still got lower performance in GTA V compared ot the AW13 R3, but in other games it was neck and neck.

AW's thermal solution seems to have more headroom.

Linus

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

Blade late 2016 CPU throttling bug is fixed on my unit that I flashed. Still got lower performance in GTA V compared ot the AW13 R3, but in other games it was neck and neck.

AW's thermal solution seems to have more headroom.

Linus

oh linus, it isn't a bug. The cooling system is just trash. You know when a CPU in a laptop hits 85c it is meant to throttle.

OFC the AW13r3 has more thermal headroom, it has way better cooling system. It would be hard to find a laptop with as bad cooling system as the blade, oh wait in todays world people put form over function, so it is pretty easy to find a laptop witha 6700HQ and a 1060 that thermal throttles.

11 hours ago, Dackzy said:

so it is pretty easy to find a laptop witha 6700HQ and a 1060 that thermal throttles.

Aorus.

13 hours ago, LinusTech said:

snip

And the jet engine level fans that accompanied the upgrade?

Laptop Main

On 12/8/2016 at 8:04 PM, harrisonjr98 said:

Lel I have one too.  I feel your pain.

Just undervolt it and do a repaste.  You should be fine after that.

57 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Lel I have one too.  I feel your pain.

Just undervolt it and do a repaste.  You should be fine after that.

I would do this, but I'm not about to void the warranty on a $2,000 PC from a manufacturer with known QC issues for this specific model.

I've learned this the hard way before from my tinkering. Maybe I'm just getting older, but I'm starting to want a machine that just works with minimal effort.

29 minutes ago, harrisonjr98 said:

I would do this, but I'm not about to void the warranty on a $2,000 PC from a manufacturer with known QC issues for this specific model.

I've learned this the hard way before from my tinkering. Maybe I'm just getting older, but I'm starting to want a machine that just works with minimal effort.

Undervolting will still solve the problem.  It'll reduce thermals but won't hinder performance at all.

You seem pretty resourceful.  I'm sure you could do it.