How do I remove a PCI E power cable?

Seems rediculous, but i'm extremely frustrated by the fact that I'm unable to remove any of the 6 or 8 pin pcie cables from my gpu. I'm pulling up on lock tab, and I feel like i'm going to break my hardware during my attempt to unplug it.
I usually stop when either my fingers hurt too much, or truly feel like I'm about to break something. There doesn't seem to be a tool to remove them safely, and on the new 970 i got, theres straight up no room to stick my finger where the lock is because... the pin is facing down, and not out away from gpu.

I can't find any videos on how to do this, everyone I see in videos just does it with ease, am I doing it wrong? Everyone says I shouldn't need to apply any brute force into this, but as i've said, i've done it to the point where I stop because my fingers hurt too much.

If i opt to destroy the locking tab(for the 6 or 8pins' locking tab  i can even access) is the power cable still safe to use?

Is there some expensive tool to safely remove the power cables?

Please, help me!

You could always get something plastic and thin enough to fit down to get the lock unlatched, if youre not able to get it unlatched, try it with the object stuck down pressing against it, and wiggle from side to side when you're pulling.

Which 970 card is it btw?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

there is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/282069427065?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-142405564866&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9041091&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0 but i have took the cables out of my gpu multiple times and i Haven't broke it, if you think you are going to brake it you can try taking it out with a small wiggle

If the locking tab is broken it should still be safe to use, just make 100% sure it's plugged in properly and make sure to check it every once in a while and after you moved the system.

If you really have to put in so much force i would remove the graphics card from the pc first so you can hold it properly when applying force to remove the connector.

It shouldn't require much force but it's always possible the margins on the plugs were a bit off and it's a very tight fit.

Also is it maybe a pre-build system? They sometimes tend to use glue to keep the connectors in place...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

You could always get something plastic and thin enough to fit down to get the lock unlatched, if youre not able to get it unlatched, try it with the object stuck down pressing against it, and wiggle from side to side when you're pulling.

Which 970 card is it btw?

an MSI twinfrozr one, where the tab is already pushed up when plugged in, and a pny 970 that just doesn't even ahve room for the fingers to get at the plug properly

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

If the locking tab is broken it should still be safe to use, just make 100% sure it's plugged in properly and make sure to check it every once in a while and after you moved the system.

If you really have to put in so much force i would remove the graphics card from the pc first so you can hold it properly when applying force to remove the connector.

It shouldn't require much force but it's always possible the margins on the plugs were a bit off and it's a very tight fit.

Also is it maybe a pre-build system? They sometimes tend to use glue to keep the connectors in place...

I believe its plugged in properly because of two things:
1. I'm positive its not even possible to plug it in upside down
2. Its operates just fine under load, so it seems to be properly powered.

Not prebuilt system, i bought each part  and plugged it all in.

6 minutes ago, thomascook0404 said:

there is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/282069427065?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=pla-142405564866&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=9041091&device=c&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0 but i have took the cables out of my gpu multiple times and i Haven't broke it, if you think you are going to brake it you can try taking it out with a small wiggle

Is there a video on how this tool is used? I'm not trying to remove the wire from the 6 or 8 pins male head, which is what this thing looks like.
I'm unable to unplug the whole pci cable that is powering my GPU