Windows 10 now runs on ARM, MS demos Photoshop running on Snapdragon 820

AlexGoesHigh
Just now, bcredeur97 said:

While I agree with you, if windows on ARM chips becomes a thing then the extra RAM may very well be needed as windows by itself uses a good bit compared to a mobile OS.. plus you know having it ready for the future isn't such a bad idea

There are phones with double to triple the RAM of some Windows laptops and two-in-ones already.  I don't think that RAM is going to be an issue.

It's also possible that Windows on ARM is also forked from the 32bit version and will carry similar requirements. It might say it needs 1GB (and this applies to he 64bit version as well), but it uses less than that unless one has an

4.png

of RAM.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Most software is still either only 32bit, or comes in 32bit and 64bit flavors.

The only reason 64bit has become predominant in the consumer PC market as early as it did was because of growing RAM needs from Windows and some 32bit software made the additional addressable RAM a necessity.

The only reason it's becoming predominant in the smartphone market is the myth that the new phones are more capable due to it (they aren't if they have 4GB or less).

Completely wrong. Both on x86 and ARM (especially on ARM) we have gotten a performance increase which is completely unrelated to 4GB or more RAM.

Sadly my post was mangled in the forum "upgrade", but here is a link to a post where I explain it.

Even with less than 4GB of RAM, 64bit ARM has given us a ~20% increase in performance.

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

While I agree with you, if windows on ARM chips becomes a thing then the extra RAM may very well be needed as windows by itself uses a good bit compared to a mobile OS.. plus you know having it ready for the future isn't such a bad idea

the os itself will run directly on arm it's only the apps that will need emulation, so 64 bit arm on windows can support all the ram it can, so a 8gb ram device with a snapdragon 820 can have all the ram be addressable, the apps would be the only ones limited to 32bit limitations

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

On 12/7/2016 at 10:29 PM, Ryou-kun said:

Welp, anyway, it is quite amazing and definitely shows what Surface phone might be in the future.

I guess Windows Phone comeback?

Because phone users are looking to run desktop applications on their phone, right? 9_9

13 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Most software is still either only 32bit, or comes in 32bit and 64bit flavors.

The only reason 64bit has become predominant in the consumer PC market as early as it did was because of growing RAM needs from Windows and some 32bit software made the additional addressable RAM a necessity.

The only reason it's becoming predominant in the smartphone market is the myth that the new phones are more capable due to it (they aren't if they have 4GB or less).

When AMD developed the Athlon64, they took the opportunity to make changes to the core ISA. Additional registers, for example, are high results in improved performance. As ARM controls and regularly updates the ISA, they are in a better position to improve performance via this route. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…