M50x Vs HD598 Se

Paytend01

So are the audio technica m50x's or the Sennheiser hd598 special edition headphones better for ??

- Music, I usually listen to rap and stuff similar to that

- Gaming, I usually play FPS and rarely play story games

- Random stuff

I own a pair of m50x's personally, and I can say it was one of the best investments of my life. 

Amazing clarity, makes everything come alive, from music to games.

10/10 would recommend again

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

audio technica m50x is a beast i have the lowerend verson of it the m40x its awsome it sounds better then they cost.  

Just now, shadowbyte said:

I own a pair of m50x's personally, and I can say it was one of the best investments of my life. 

Amazing clarity, makes everything come alive, from music to games.

10/10 would recommend again

I use cloud 2's right now for everything. But kind of want to get a dedicated mic and standalone pair of headphones

The most important distinction to make here is that the M50Xs are closed back and the HD598se (not to be confused with the HD598Cs) are open backed. If you're using in an environment where noise isolation is not important, the sound of open backed headphones will certainly be superior. A proper sound stage is something most people haven't experienced and don't consider.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

audio technica m50x is a beast i have the lowerend verson of it the m40x its awsome it sounds better then they cost.  

the m40x and m50x sound very differently. The M40x has a soundstage, has less bass, not as sharp highs and offer the same audio quality.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

well shit. didn't event think of this

Yeah, if you want dat bass then go for the m50x

Or go with the more neutral 598se and use an EQ. That's my recommendation if sound leakage isn't a factor.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

Just now, MarieKirya said:

The most important distinction to make here is that the M50Xs are closed back

Not only are they closed back, they are very closed. I don't know why people keep recommending them for gaming. They're good-ish for audio mixing but that's about it (even then they're a bit biased in bass).

OP, I would get the 598. They may not have the dankest bass, but they sound good and are better for gaming than the M50X.

I would not go with M50x for FPS games, since their comfort is meh at best and they have zero soundstage, the DT770 is a better option or if you can then the K550/553

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

The M50Xs are a lot more popular- which is why you've already got recommendations. However, what you need is feedback from someone who's tried both. I'm going to tag @SSL, who probably has.

@MarieKirya already beat me to describing open-back headphones. I would also add that you need to think about noise-isolation both ways. With open-back headphones, you'll be able to hear your co-worker noisily sipping his coffee, while he'll be able to tell you're listening to ASMR Beard Combing. 

I also recommend the Sennheiser HD 558 headphones over the 598s. They sound identical and are half the price on Best Buy right now.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Not only are they closed back, they are very closed. I don't know why people keep recommending them for gaming. They're good-ish for audio mixing but that's about it (even then they're a bit biased in bass).

OP, I would get the 598. They may not have the dankest bass, but they sound good and are better for gaming than the M50X.

I might be a little bit biased with my daily driver being a HD800s, but going open back whenever possible is preferred.

Just now, Aereldor said:

The M50Xs are a lot more popular- which is why you've already got recommendations. However, what you need is feedback from someone who's tried both.

kek I own the M50 and I have tried the M40, the M40/x offeres a way better value...

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I don't know why people keep recommending them for gaming

Because they're still really good, the soundstage isn't quite as open but at least in my opinion that doesn't ruin the gaming experience like some people say. Especially if you're like me and use them right next to other people, so open backed isn't really an option, they're great. 

5 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

if you want dat bass then go for the m50x

The M40X's have a very neutral sound signature, no extra base. I thought the M50X's were similar? Maybe I'm wrong (but you can always change that in EQ regardless).

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

I own and love my M40X's, and would frankly recommend those over the M50X's. Though I haven't personally tried the M50X's the sound signature and quality is supposed to be very close, and the M40X's are cheaper. Also they fold up while the M50X's don't, so much better if you need portability. 

Just now, Spork829 said:

Because they're still really good, the soundstage isn't quite as open but at least in my opinion that doesn't ruin the gaming experience like some people say. Especially if you're like me and use them right next to other people, so open backed isn't really an option, they're great. 

The M40X's have a very neutral sound signature, no extra base. I thought the M50X's were similar? Maybe I'm wrong (but you can always change that in EQ regardless).

They're bad for gaming if you want to actually be immersed in the sound. Even then, there are other closed back options that would be better, like the Beyerdynamic DT770.

The M50X has a bias in bass and a slight boost to some highs. I've had a pair before. Changing it in EQ when you can get a headphone with the sound signature that you want is dumb imo.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

They're bad for gaming if you want to actually be immersed in the sound. Even then, there are other closed back options that would be better, like the Beyerdynamic DT770.

The M50X has a bias in bass and a slight boost to some highs. I've had a pair before. Changing it in EQ when you can get a headphone with the sound signature that you want is dumb imo.

I play FPS games with my M40X's and while I agree it's not as immersive as with open-backed, it's just fine. But that's subjective. And that's interesting that the M50X's are tuned that way, because the M40X's are totally even (which I like). 

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

kek I own the M50 and I have tried the M40, the M40/x offeres a way better value...

Not between the M40/x and M50/x. I thought that was obvious- they're practically the same- not identical, but more so than the two headphones that are actually in comparison here.

I meant between the Sennheiser HD 598 SE and the Audio Technica ATH-M50x headphones. Those are the only two headphones mentioned in the original post, so I didn't think I would need to specify that they're the ones I'm talking about.

21 minutes ago, Paytend01 said:

So are the audio technica m50x's or the Sennheiser hd598 special edition headphones better for ??

- Music, I usually listen to rap and stuff similar to that

- Gaming, I usually play FPS and rarely play story games

- Random stuff

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

The M40X's have a very neutral sound signature, no extra base.

nope not really, more neutral than the M50x sure, but no not very neutral. You would have to try the K612 or the HD600, then you know for sure

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

nope not really, more neutral than the M50x sure, but no not very neutral. You would have to try the K612 or the HD600, then you know for sure

Interesting! I always thought they were tuned that way specifically for studio editing. What emphasis do they have, in that case?

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Not between the M40/x and M50/x. I thought that was obvious- they're practically the same.

The M40/x has a bit less bass and not as sharp highs, while they still aren't good for gaming, they do have a little soundstage, but not as little as the M50/x. The sound was just a bit wider, not much though...

THe M40x goes for what 80$? the M50x goes for 140-150$, So yeah the M40/x wins in value.

Just now, Spork829 said:

Interesting! I always thought they were tuned that way specifically for studio editing. What emphasis do they have, in that case?

they still have a small bass bump, not as big as the M50x. The thing is that they just slap that monitoring headphones brand on them, it doesn't really mean anything. Yes they are detailed, but they are not really that accurate. I have never seen any ATH-M headphones being used IRL by a producer, while I have seen the HD600 and K612 being used.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

they still have a small bass bump, not as big as the M50x. The thing is that they just slap that monitoring headphones brand on them, it doesn't really mean anything. Yes they are detailed, but they are not really that accurate. I have never seen any ATH-M headphones being used IRL by a producer, while I have seen the HD600 and K612 being used.

Good to know. I still like mine :D 

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Good to know. I still like mine :D 

I would trade my M50 to a pair of M40 if I could....

Just now, Dackzy said:

The M40/x has a bit less bass and not as sharp highs, while they still aren't good for gaming, they do have a little soundstage, but not as little as the M50/x. The sound was just a bit wider, not much though...

THe M40x goes for what 80$? the M50x goes for 140-150$, So yeah the M40/x wins in value.

Straw-man argument. I only replied to your post to tell you that's not the comparison I was talking about. Once again-

I wasn't talking about the difference between those two, for crying out loudOr are you seriously trying to imply that the M40xsare more different from the M50sx than the Sennheiser HD 598s? 

I said the cans weren't identical, and a whole lot else, except you've conveniently omitted all of that.

Also, the Sennheiser HD 558s sound identical to the 598s, and they're going for $80 here too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-audiophile-over-the-ear-headphones-titan/1700513.p?skuId=1700513&ref=199&loc=8BacdVP0GFs&acampID=1&siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-u3lIsY8IgKG5hnTJEtYbAw

Just now, Aereldor said:

SNIP

sorry a bit sick, so my head isn't the best right now. yeah I know about the HD 558 and the HD 598, there is this small difference in the mids, that most people won't hear and that is basically it