[removed]

i started using it at uni. it does more for you when you do real computer work. Windows is like prebuilt systems; made for the technology illiterate.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Its free, it doesn't break any where near as often as Windows, updates can be easily controlled, no telemetry (except full optional error reports), is far lighter, it handles AMD APU far better than Windows, and takes up far less space. Oh and it only uses the page/swap file when it runs out of RAM, meaning that SSD and HDD will last longer.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Mainly for servers.

1. NOrmally cheaper licencing

2. Normally faster. Most programs that are cpu limited just run faster.

3. Less ram usage. Centos idle is about 200mB of ram, windows server is about 600mb

4. Better networking. Just more flexable and nicer. Has better firewalld

5. Better storage. You get LVM, Software raid on boot volume, ability to install on a usb drive, btrts and zfs for genreally better than ntfs and refs.

6. Less crashes and problems. You don't really seem as many kernel panics as blue screens. Windows has gotten very stable, but still a bit worse.

7. Less flexable. Normally with windows server there is one way to do it. With linux, you can have 2 linux systems doing the same thing with almost every package different than the kernel.

8. More special features, pcie passthrough, Lots of gpu's, CPU hotswap, obsecure hadware support.

9. Less driver problems. I have had much less driver issues on linux than windows. Its very rare to need to install drivers on linux.

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Oh and it only uses the page/swap file when it runs out of RAM

No it doesn't. Swappyness is a thing. You can set it do that, but by default, it will swap out programs that aren't being used to hdd/ssd. Its much better to use ram as a disk cache than holding non used programs.

Wear on hdd/ssd isn't really a issue.

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No it doesn't. Swappyness is a thing. You can set it do that, but by default, it will swap out programs that aren't being used to hdd/ssd. Its much better to use ram as a disk cache than holding non used programs.

Wear on hdd/ssd isn't really a issue.

Then why does the swap file remain unused on my laptop? Because it definitely doesn't touch it until it runs out of RAM (3.1GB out of 4GB usable after I updated the BIOS to get full UEFI functionality, I need an 8GB stick of RAM for it)

PMSL

3 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Then why does the swap file remain unused on my laptop? Because it definitely doesn't touch it until it runs out of RAM (3.1GB out of 4GB usable after I updated the BIOS to get full UEFI functionality, I need an 8GB stick of RAM for it)

What distro, and what is swappyness set to. 

ALso how long between reboots. My main server with 48gb of ram and 12gb swap is currently using 30gb actively of ram, the rest of for cache, and is also using 1.58 gb of swap. Normally it takes a day before it starts to use any swap at all.

according to reddit , windows is cancer and you are a shill if you say otherwise

I like Linux for testing hardware , or nuking drives/ partitioning them ,

P-Magic was my main os for a while since my harddrive controller bit the farn and P-Magic has a browser and supports flash so back then it was perfect for forums , some youtube and listening to some music, all I did back then

Spoiler

I read linus at first , and I was about to say "because he has character and mostly knows what hes talking about"

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What distro, and what is swappyness set to. 

ALso how long between reboots. My main server with 48gb of ram and 12gb swap is currently using 30gb actively of ram, the rest of for cache, and is also using 1.58 gb of swap. Normally it takes a day before it starts to use any swap at all.

Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and Mint. And I had all settings left at their defaults. No swap file usage unless I used up the RAM, unlike Windows which hammers the pagefile even if you have over 10GB of free RAM.

PMSL

4 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

I've had friends use it and seen them use it which every time I've ever interacted with someone using a Linus OS they are always in the terminal typing away, some have said they like it because it makes them feel like a L33T H4x0r despite them just navigating their own folder structures.

Instead of asking them "hey, what are you doing?", you have chosen to discuss the matter with everyone but them? Heh.

Navigating folders doesn't take that much typing. There's tons of stuff they are more likely doing and most of that is probably more efficient in a terminal. You can multitask and run surprisingly large variety of programs via terminal, either in your local machine or remotely on another machine.

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Oh and it only uses the page/swap file when it runs out of RAM --

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No it doesn't.

I gave my Debian (8.2) server 8 Gb swap just to be safe, and I haven't ever seen it use any of it otherwise. Haven't changed settings regarding it, so it's on default "swappyness" settings. :P

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Its free, it doesn't break any where near as often as Windows, updates can be easily controlled, no telemetry (except full optional error reports), is far lighter, it handles AMD APU far better than Windows, and takes up far less space. Oh and it only uses the page/swap file when it runs out of RAM, meaning that SSD and HDD will last longer.

Mostly on point. Also, when it breaks I often find myself fixing it without a problem, because I know what it goddamn broke, no random "hey, let's stop working and not tell you why" One recent example, the tablet that I do have (unfortunately) with Windows 10 for whatever reason the Wi-Fi started to act funny as in going slow. The fix was to literally reinstall the whole network card, but since I don't know what caused it in the first place it will happen in the future. More time lost. Not limited to Windows 10 (but certainly far more prominent). And if I started to recall more like this the post would get too lengthy.

Compared to my linux installs, where I started knowing literally nothing and I had to do a single reinstall due to knowing how I sodomized that install over a 6 month period. I knew the fixes required, but I deemed more time efficient to just reinstall. Moer or less the same with the laptop. As for the swap, I do experience the same behavior, where SWAP is not used in idle or light usage unless I run out of RAM, with defaults (swappiness=60) My guess is that RAM + cache fits into the RAM, thus not needing to use SWAP, at least that seems to be my case with 4GB.