RX 490 is closer than you think. Brace yourself team red.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

and @Agost and @Carclis and anyone else

You know the word 'pro' in consumer AMD GPUs are the cut down versions of a GPU right? 

I.e. the 290 has a Hawaii pro while the 290X has a hawaii XT core and the 7950 has a Tahiti pro core while the 7970 has a tahiti XT/XT2 core.

And before you say anything about this naming scheme, AMD has been doing this since 2007 on some GPUs.

If you are right theres a possibility of it being a cut down vega. Although i dont see amd releasing vega this early, those performance numbers would make sense. Have a cut down version competing with 1080 and the full core to go against volta and 1080 ti

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Have a cut down version competing with 1080 and the full core to go against volta and 1080 ti

Problem is the Titan XP is almost 1.25-1.5 times as powerful as the 1080...it would be stupid to cut down a GPU to only three quarters of the total cores it has...

edit: Whoops, meant 1.25-1.5 times not 2x xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I seems odd to me that an RX490 would compete with GTX1080 when the RX480 is around GTX980 performance. Seems like quite the jump between cards.

1 minute ago, IGJoe2192 said:

I seems odd to me that an RX490 would compete with GTX1080 when the RX480 is around GTX980 performance. Seems like quite the jump between cards.

Ermmmm...how would it be weird as that's like saying why is the performance gap between the 1060 and 1080 so big...

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Problem is the Titan XP is almost two times as powerful as the 1080...it would be stupid to cut down a GPU to only half the amount of cores it has...

To compete  it doesnt need to beat it. If its between 1080 and 1080 ti and well priced it could be enough to reduce nvideas share of the market. And volta is probably the main competitor for vega

Just now, cj09beira said:

To compete  it doesnt need to beat it. If its between 1080 and 1080 ti and well priced it could be enough to reduce nvideas share of the market. And volta is probably the main competitor for vega

True, also ignore what I said about the 2x performance difference, I meant 1.25-1.5 :P 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Problem is the Titan XP is almost two times as powerful as the 1080...it would be stupid to cut down a GPU to only half the amount of cores it has...

To compete  it doesnt need to beat it. If its between 1080 and 1080 ti and well priced it could be enough to reduce nvideas share in that market. And volta is probably the main competitor for vega.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

To compete  it doesnt need to beat it. If its between 1080 and 1080 ti and well priced it could be enough to reduce nvideas share in that market. And volta is probably the main competitor for vega.

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

repost madness

Sorry for the multiple posting my net is not great and i am on my cell. It looks like its not registering right :-(

24 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

You know the word 'pro' in consumer AMD GPUs are the cut down versions of a GPU right? 

I.e. the 290 has a Hawaii pro while the 290X has a hawaii XT core and the 7950 has a Tahiti pro core while the 7970 has a tahiti XT/XT2 core.

And before you say anything about this naming scheme, AMD has been doing this since 2007 on some GPUs.

That would have been my guess but I wasn't really expecting to see any Vega benches yet since a H1 2017 has been stated as opposed to Q2. Adding to that, the graph looks pretty fake anyways.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

Theres also the possibility of it being an cut down polaris+ with somesort of dual 480s inside ?

Like what is in the ps4 pro. With the same improvements like double fp16.

I don't expect RX 490 to be launched or to be anything new. Right now we are in-between generations. Vega was delayed and will replace Polaris so there is no point in releasing a card that will be replaced very soon. Nvidia is rumored to refresh Pascal which might happen if they fully switch fabs and Volta isn't meant to fully replace Pascal lineup (well, both Volta and Vega are supposed to go with HBM2 which is a public start for this technology so bold move for AMD to replace Polaris with it.)

If RX 490 is just bit overclocked RX 480 - there won't be much gain, but still it can be a R9 Fury replacement at lower power consumption... but still Vega.

If RX 490 is a bigger chip or dual-GPU to compete with high end nvidias - what's the point? Vega is coming, and AMD won't sell that much unless they get a miracle price point which is highly unlikely (unless they have somewhat magically improved yields a lot now and RX 480 production cost went down considerably and they can offer 2xRX480 design at price severely threatening nVidia).

If RX 490 is Vega - WTF? Be consistent with your naming scheme. Only allowed exception would be the economic Vega with DDR5 and not HBM2 with RX 480 price point and better performance or lower price with matching performance.

Not even sure they will name RX490, could be... but there's a thing, it should come in XT and Pro, so what would be their naming? Rx495  Rx490? 

Just now, lukart said:

Not even sure they will name RX490, could be... but there's a thing, it should come in XT and Pro, so what would be their naming? Rx495  Rx490? 

rx 490x

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

The latest "Pro" in the actual name was used on the dual Fury GPU, and it's an almost professional-only card.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

rx 490x

XMD RxDEON RX 490X

X

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

45 minutes ago, Agost said:

The latest "Pro" in the actual name was used on the dual Fury GPU, and it's an almost professional-only card.

You're right, just re-read the original thread :P 

All pro means is support from AMD (like you can call them up for support) and drivers for CAD, rendering ect. software.

25 minutes ago, Vode said:

XMD RxDEON RX 490X

X

You are from Xustrx

3 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

So that's what Apple meant by pro with their new MacBook now I get it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

@cj09beira: I argue that it does need to compete on the very high end. I know that AMD could turn a profit and regain some market share with an inferior but well positioned product. That was the strategy behind the 480 in fact. But AMD is perceived as being severely behind the curve for a while, even if it's a little percentage of the market they need to show they can compete with high end products. To me the high end products don't only move units but also sell prestige, bragging rights, things that smart buyers like us couldn't give 2 shits about when making a purchase decision but that common, more mainstream buyers DO care.

Name recognition, Q rating, call it whatever you want: it matters and it matters quite a bit when it comes to mass market share. I.E. see Apple.

-------

Current Rig

-------

29 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

@cj09beira: I argue that it does need to compete on the very high end. I know that AMD could turn a profit and regain some market share with an inferior but well positioned product. That was the strategy behind the 480 in fact. But AMD is perceived as being severely behind the curve for a while, even if it's a little percentage of the market they need to show they can compete with high end products. To me the high end products don't only move units but also sell prestige, bragging rights, things that smart buyers like us couldn't give 2 shits about when making a purchase decision but that common, more mainstream buyers DO care.

Name recognition, Q rating, call it whatever you want: it matters and it matters quite a bit when it comes to mass market share. I.E. see Apple.

I agree in part, the problem is nvidea has had the mindset advantage since the start even when amd/ati had faster, more efficient and cheaper cards people still bought the nvidea card more, (gtx 260 era for example) and i dont think they can change that its a lost battle. So its better to convince as much people as they can from the informed group, people like us, who care about perf/dollar, perf/watt, driver stability,software like shadow play, and the mindset of the company (open source vs not).

9 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ermmmm...how would it be weird as that's like saying why is the performance gap between the 1060 and 1080 so big...

No it is not... What in the RX lineup competes with the 1070? But whatever its the internetz everyone else is wrongo.

2 hours ago, IGJoe2192 said:

No it is not... What in the RX lineup competes with the 1070? But whatever its the internetz everyone else is wrongo.

You have to consider that the RX 490 would never be a lone card. The 1070 only exists because it is a cut down version of the 1080 just as the 490 will have it's own cut down version.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 minute ago, Carclis said:

You have to consider that the RX 490 would never be a lone card. The 1070 only exists because it is a cut down version of the 1080 just as the 490 will have it's own cut down version.

like a 480?