Does an extra 0.16ghz make a difference

Does an extra 0.16ghz make a difference? if you have two 4 core processors both 1.6ghz but one has a boost clock of 2.4 and the other is 2.56 does it really make much of a difference?

depends but it will be a small differance

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

well, calculate the percentage of your total clock speed that is, and that'll be about the difference in cpu speed you'll see.

that said, if your workload doent need the full speed of the lower one of the two anyways, it'll be essentially a zero difference in real-world tests.

It's an about 6.7% increase in maximum clock speed. So --everything else being equal-- that is what you will gain in performance in a best-case scenario.

In any task where the CPU is not boosting there will not be a difference, and in any situation where it's not at 100% load for prolonged periods the difference will be negligible. (For instance: if your CPU is boosting to the max for only 5% of its processing time, that reduces the average performance gains to about 0.3%.)

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

30 minutes ago, DHelios said:

It's an about 6.7% increase in maximum clock speed. So --everything else being equal-- that is what you will gain in performance in a best-case scenario.

In any task where the CPU is not boosting there will not be a difference, and in any situation where it's not at 100% load for prolonged periods the difference will be negligible. (For instance: if your CPU is boosting to the max for only 5% of its processing time, that reduces the average performance gains to about 0.3%.)

except that boost clock only kicks in when the cpu has room to spare e.g when not under full load and can boost cores up.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

except that boost clock only kicks in when the cpu has room to spare e.g when not under full load and can boost cores up.

which is in far more scenarios than you may think ;)

Just now, manikyath said:

which is in far more scenarios than you may think ;)

most of the time I would say :)

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´