Secure .gcode files

Hey guys,

I'am currently working on a project for school where I look at the possibility of 3D printing. One aspect is intellectual propery. Currently the idea is that a company can send a file for the 3D model to the costumer. The costumer then can print this model. However the file then can be spreaded. Is there a way to secure .gcode in such a way that it's not possible to be readable on computers or someway to secure the file?

This is an area of computer science research that is currently AFAIK new and has not produced a consumer product. My university calls it data provenance which is about knowing who has seen your data and where it is; link here.

Theres also a new buzzword in the industry called smart contracts which uses block chain technology (bitcoin/dogecoin:P) but I don't know if there is a consumer product for that yet. Google scholar has a ton of stuff but i can't recommend anything as I have not yet read up a lot about it.

Pretty sure all we have right now in practice is old style paper contracts/agreements with appropriate clauses that specify you can fine and punish the other party for not complying.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

There is suprisingly little information about securing 3D files. At this moment old school contracts seem the only solution. Hopefully someone else knows a solution?

3D files are just like any other file on a file system in terms of read & write access and meta data. They can be non-proprietary or open but theres nothing that dictates how you can transfer them unless you want to get into some high level research

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

It's not wise for a company to sell a gcode file as every printer is different. An stl would be better, but I still don't know how you would secure it to a single computer unless you create a new file type and or software that has those safeguards built in. 

ASU

The idea is that the company will test with different 3D printers to see what settings are needed to create a part that satisfies the quality standards. When you send out a STL file then the settings can be changed, not that it can't be done with gcode but it is a extra step.