Choosing the right PSU for my pc

Jake1984
Go to solution Solved by iRileyx,

If you have that much, you may be able to squeeze an EVGA G2 650 watt, very good PSU. You could get another GS but theyre not on the PSU tier list, or the white list, so i'd be a bit weary as to the quality of them.

Hi all,

I have a gaming PC. 
My CPU configuration is
Sapphire HD 7870 GPU 2 GB, 
Intel 3.4 GHz LGA 1155 Core i5 3570k,
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB x 2,
1 WD Hard disk 7200 rpm 1 TB
1 WD My passport Portable 2 TB
1 Seagate Portable 250 GB
Gigabyte Z75 Motherboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212x Evo

Can anyone please suggest the appropriate PSU for me? Thanks in advance! 

I also checked this link http://coolermaster.outervision.com/ and it came up 
with the results as follows

Load Wattage: 354 W
Recommended UPS rating: 700 VA
Recommended PSU Wattage: 404 W

Additional information:

I already have a Corsair Gs700, but there might be something wrong with it as my system has been restarting suddenly at times and it is also out of warranty. I also troubleshot every other hardware in my PC with other ones belonging to my brother and friends working absolutely fine. 
I intend to upgrade my GPU to either an AMD Rx 480 8GB or it's Nvidia equivalent after 9-12 months, but unless my CPU or Motherboard causes any issues, I would not upgrade them in the next 1 to 2 years.
I also want to know if getting another PSU similar to the one I have now (which is not working properly) Corsair Gs 700 will work with my current system with no loss in efficiency and moreover will be enough when I do upgrade my system in the near future.

a CX450m would be fine for now. whats your budget though?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

a CX450m would be fine for now. whats your budget though?

$100 to $116.

But can I buy a new Corsair Gs 700 (which I have now but is defective) or similar? Actually I intend to upgrade my present GPU (Hd 7870 2 Gb) to either an AMD Rx 480 8GB or it's Nvidia equivalent after 9-12 months, but unless my CPU or Motherboard causes any issues, I would not upgrade them in the next 1 to 2 years.
I also want to know if getting another PSU similar to the one I have now (which is not working properly) Corsair Gs 700 will work with my current system with no loss in efficiency and moreover will be enough when I do upgrade my system in the near future.

If you have that much, you may be able to squeeze an EVGA G2 650 watt, very good PSU. You could get another GS but theyre not on the PSU tier list, or the white list, so i'd be a bit weary as to the quality of them.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, Jake1984 said:

$100 to $116.

But can I buy a new Corsair Gs 700 (which I have now but is defective) or similar? Actually I intend to upgrade my present GPU (Hd 7870 2 Gb) to either an AMD Rx 480 8GB or it's Nvidia equivalent after 9-12 months, but unless my CPU or Motherboard causes any issues, I would not upgrade them in the next 1 to 2 years.

You just answered your own question I think.

Just now, RKRiley said:

So will this EVGA G2 650 watt be good enough for my future pc if I upgrade to an  AMD Rx 480 8GB and a AMD FX 8370 4.0GHZ? Please help me. I am not so good in understanding the PSU wattage and calculation of capacity

Just now, Jake1984 said:

So will this EVGA G2 650 watt be good enough for my future pc if I upgrade to an  AMD Rx 480 8GB and a AMD FX 8370 4.0GHZ? Please help me. I am not so good in understanding the PSU wattage and calculation of capacity

Yeah it will be.

Also dont upgrade to an FX cpu, they're very dated now and even the i3 6100's can out perform them.

4 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Yeah it will be.

Also dont upgrade to an FX cpu, they're very dated now and even the i3 6100's can out perform them.

Oh I see. But upgrading to an AMD AMD Rx 480 8GB is fine, isn't it? If you don't recommend AMD Fx series, which processor should I upgrade to? I can't afford an I7. And Could you advise on whether I should switch to ddr4 later or ddr3 is fine?  

Just now, Jake1984 said:

Oh I see. But upgrading to an AMD AMD Rx 480 8GB is fine, isn't it? If you don't recommend AMD Fx series, which processor should I upgrade to? I can't afford an I7. And Could you advise on whether I should switch to ddr4 later or ddr3 is fine?  

480's are fine cards, using one myself.

If you switch to skylake you'll have to switch to DDR4, if you go for anything before Skylake you're fine with DDR3.
Depending on your budget go for a 6600k + z170a motherboard, if you dont have alot to spend, a 6500 + h110 motherboard would still be better. Don't forget to account for cost of ram ontop though.

13 minutes ago, Tristanus said:

You just answered your own question I think.

Actually, I am sad at my the state of my system now (my old Gs 700 making my life a living hell) and too many things from many knowledge base is confusing me even further. Could you guys help me, please? I will be extremely grateful

1 minute ago, Jake1984 said:

Actually, I am sad at my the state of my system now (my old Gs 700 making my life a living hell) and too many things from many knowledge base is confusing me even further. Could you guys help me, please? I will be extremely grateful

What is confusing you at the moment?

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

If you switch to skylake you'll have to switch to DDR4, if you go for anything before Skylake you're fine with DDR3.
Depending on your budget go for a 6600k + z170a motherboard, if you dont have alot to spend, a 6500 + h110 motherboard would still be better. Don't forget to account for cost of ram ontop though.

I am not familiar with Skylake. Is it a new upcoming microprocessor technology?
I am a 3D Game Artist and work with 3Ds Max 2016, Zbrush 4R7, Substance Painter, Mari and Photoshop apart from playing games like Gta V and Far Cry 4.
So based on my usage what can you suggest?

My i5 3570 k is still going strong for 4 years.

2 minutes ago, Tristanus said:

What is confusing you at the moment?

I am confused that if I should get another Corsair Gs 700 or equivalent now (so that I can prepare myself for any upgrades on my GPU and Processor in the next 1-2 years), will it be fine with my  system's current configuration.

2 minutes ago, Jake1984 said:

I am not familiar with Skylake. Is it a new upcoming microprocessor technology?
I am a 3D Game Artist and work with 3Ds Max 2016, Zbrush 4R7, Substance Painter, Mari and Photoshop apart from playing games like Gta V and Far Cry 4.
So based on my usage what can you suggest?

My i5 3570 k is still going strong for 4 years.

Skylake is the current generation of intel cpu's, the up coming one is Kaby Lake.

That cpu will still be good for a while, might aswell keep it for now. an 8370 would be a downgrade from that lol.
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-vs-AMD-FX-8370/1316vs2983

9 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Thank you for sharing the list of hardware I can upgrade too. I also did an amazon search for ddr4 ram and it shows $52- $54.

11 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

But to be honest I don't feel the need to upgrade to ddr4. I would rather go for a GPU and CPU upgrade and buy 2 more sticks of my existing Corsair Vengeance 8 Gb ddr3 Ram

The only significant upgrade you'd get is moving to a 4xxx or Skylake i5+, you could keep your ddr3 if you go for a 4xxx.

13 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

The only significant upgrade you'd get is moving to a 4xxx or Skylake i5+, you could keep your ddr3 if you go for a 4xxx.

I presently have an air cooling system by Cooler Master Hyper 212x Evo. Is that insufficient if I upgrade to a new CPU mentioned by you in future?

1 hour ago, RKRiley said:

By the way, many thanks to your advice and recommendation! See you around!

6 hours ago, Jake1984 said:

A 480 doesn't use a ton of power and is hard to overclock so 450W is fine. I'd get a Corsair CXM so you have money leftover for an SSD ;)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||